Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Another San Juan in need of rescue... with a twist
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another San Juan in need of rescue... with a twist

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another San Juan in need of rescue... with a twist
    Posted: May-08-2014 at 6:45pm
There's a 1975-ish San Juan in the Alexandria Bay NY area (upstate NY on Lake Ontario) for sale. I've been trading emails with the owner. He got it as payment for carpentry work he did at a marina and said he used it for a few years.

The twist... it is hardtop and has twin Chrysler 6-cyl engines. The owner said one of them was rebuilt and never put back in the boat about 2 years ago.

I'd love to obtain it, but I have my hands full and he's asking $2000. I bet someone could get him down from that price - especially since it has no trailer, but it is a bit of a basket case. If it was left out in the open, which the pictures seem to indicate, then the floor and substructure will have to be completely redone. It also has some broken windows. And with no trailer, there's that...

He wasn't sure about the year, but looking at the shape of the side window vs. other hardtop examples, I'm going to say it is 1975 or earlier. The brochures don't really mention hard tops in the late 60s or early 70s though.

What is the email address I can send to CC for a lookup of the serial number? The SN is SJ24V134.

- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 7:05pm
That's a Tim Benjamin special.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 7:09pm
I like it, really like the color. Wish it was sea-worthy, would be fun to sail it back to the midwest. Wonder how the footing table would be with twins...
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 7:26pm
I like the color and the twins mopars! Colored gel means 73 or earlier, I believe... All white started in 74.

That's a pretty massive project for $2k.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 7:29pm
I suppose if I compare the serial numbers with my 1968 and 1975 SJs, I'll find it somewhere in the middle. I'm guessing this one is 1973.

That would be a cool trip, Steve. No trailer needed!
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 7:38pm
Tim, but you'll have 12 cylinders ;).
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 8:49pm
This one goes up to 12.

How easy/hard is it to find parts for a 292 inline 6?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 8:55pm
Tim, yeah all white started in '74. I'm starting to like the hardtop SJ's. What kind of info comes back on the HIN?
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 9:55pm
is there room for twin 496 chevs or twin small block chevs in that?
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 11:05pm
Yeah, I'd sail that one right to the dust bin as they say in the UK. Yikes!
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 11:17pm
Needs a tuna tower.

Engine looks more Crusader.

So, would an all white '72 be a special order ?

Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-08-2014 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I like the color and the twins mopars! Colored gel means 73 or earlier, I believe... All white started in 74.

That's a pretty massive project for $2k.

That blue with the white top would look pretty awesome cleaned up.

Are you saying you couldn't get a colored hull after 74?

The other SJ I have, I was told is a 74 and it is the darker blue. Looking in the '74 brochure, it does say white is the hull color.

Where else could I find a HIN if there's not one on the transom and there's no engine cover?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2014 at 6:25pm
Got an email from Larry at the factory. Hopefully he'll get to the archives soon.

Quote The information you seek is in our archive area. I’m not sure when I will get over to that area. I will keep the information and when I can I will get it to you.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
62 wood View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 62 wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-09-2014 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Engine looks more Crusader.

x2... at least the exhaust manni reeks Crusader.
64 American Skier

62 Classic..
73 Ski Nautique
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2014 at 2:49am
Tim, buy it and restore it so we have something to watch this winter!!!
1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-10-2014 at 9:08am
Ha, those boats are monsters... I need to build a barn big enough to fit one! Someday.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2014 at 11:36pm
Just got an email from the guy that says
Quote If you have any interst in the boat please call me I will give you a deal I need to make room 315-xxx-xxxx

Anyone interested?
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2014 at 1:16am
(Cough{Tim})
1999 Ski Nautique 196
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2014 at 1:22am
So what is the bottom line number

Is there a place to store it around there, a boat yard or something?
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-13-2014 at 2:31am
Chris,Tim has a pretty big fleet as it is,you however have 1. You also have a large place to store one too,hint,hint     and to keep balance we need some eastern boats to find their way to the Midwest
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 12:39am
Gary I just saw this post as I was talking to Steve about making a Lake Michigan Cabin Cruiser.

You make some compelling points.

However, I think is need something bigger that could go up to Green Bay / Door County.

I also need a 72 promo, reverse gel BFN, and something wood.

Who needs a retirement account?
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2014 at 12:57am
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
78SJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78SJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 7:51am
I love my 78 Hard top, wish it had twins though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic