Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nautique engine rebuild?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
bewap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bewap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nautique engine rebuild?
    Posted: April-21-2014 at 12:49pm
Dear all,

After reading interesting topics at this forum I thought it was time to subscribe myself at this forum.
First of all because I am new at this forum, lets introduce myself. My name is Eric and I coming from the Netherlands.

Currently I am interested in buying a 1997 Ski Nautique boat. I had a Barefoot 1984 but sold it because it required a lot of work:
-All inside wood was rotten
-Engine was damaged

I am now looking for something which is build after 1993 because I do not like the inside wood.
Therefore I found this 1997 boat. Following the seller the boat:
-Runs perfect
-Two times per year maintenance is performed at a service company (I shall ask them if the papers are available).

But the boat has 2200 hours at the clock without an engine rebuild. Now my question is: is it risky to buy a boat with so much hours? Even when maintenance is performed correctly?
Which engine signs are important to take into account when inspecting the boat?
After how many hours an engine rebuild is normally necessary?

Thanks in advance!

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 12:55pm
Do a compression test on the engine and send a sample of the transmission oil to a lab for analysis. If everything checks out, buy it.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
bewap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bewap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 1:23pm
Thanks for your quick reply. I shall do that. Good idea. I have a compression meter so this will be easy.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 4:55pm
lots of boats out there with more hours on them than this, and plenty with less hours that have had an engine failure.   I agree with the compression test suggestion, but would add to look for oil leaks, note how any strange noises, knocks, ticks etc. If you can ,check the oil pressure with a service gauge(as opposed to the dash gauge). In reality, you may be looking at a repower with that many hours, but if you have a good hull to start with, this is no more risk than any other boat.   It's nice that you have a maintenance shop in the vicinity, it could mean that parts will be more available to you than average user overseas.   
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 6:27pm
Often in the U.S. a more experienced CCFan might offer to go check out a boat and/or offer help in determining the true condition of a boat.

There are quite a few frequent European Correct Craft Fans, for instance Kristof in Belgium. You might try PMing him, or start a new post such as "need help in the Netherlands"
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
bewap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bewap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 4:59am
Thank you all for your replies! I shall take your reactions into account.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic