NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Carb Welsh Plug is leaking after rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carb Welsh Plug is leaking after rebuild
    Posted: April-19-2014 at 6:21pm
Hello,

I just had my Holley 4160 Carb Rebuilt this week. The rebuilder used Ultra Sonic on the small parts and Carb Dip on the large Center section. I just installed the carb and now the Welsh Plug on the Primary Bowl is leaking. This carb has the internal float adjustment and a search of this site shows me that the leaking plug is called a Welsh Plug. I also read that they are king of soft and can be once again expanded if pushed around. I also just learned that this is common after a rebuild. So far the secondary is not leaking, but I turned off the boat pretty dang fast when I saw the gas spray.

Folks on the site have outline three ways to fix this leak.

#1) Tap the plug with a Wooden Dowel Pin to make the metal spread and reseal the leak.

#2) Apply JB weld to the top of the welsh plug.

#3) Buy new bowls from Holley.

I am trying to get the boat ready with the White Lake Mini this weekend.

I am going back to the garage to try the wooded dowel deal, but I wanted to post this and see if any other ideas appear before I remove the carb. The JB Weld seem dangerous to me, but may be a hold over until I can purchase new bowls after the White Lake Event.

This site is so helpful.

Thanks,

Donald

OverMyHead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OverMyHead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 6:37pm
I used JB weld two years ago ( one of the few carb repairs in my skill set). So far So good.
For thousands of years men have felt the irresistible urge to go to sea, and many of them died. Things got better after they invented boats.
1987 Ski Nautique

Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 6:53pm
JB weld is fuel proof and works well with gas. If you do it CLEAN the surface off with acetone or brake cleaner. Use the standard JB not the quick set & put it on with a tooth pick.
Trying to spread the plug to make it seal maybe opening a can of worms.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 7:05pm
Donald,
The carb rebuilder should fix the problem. What did he have to say? Yes dipping can loosen up the plugs but I don't feel JB (it's a cr*p product)is the most reliable fix. Some have had good luck with it but it's still a "hit or miss".

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 8:08pm
Pete,

My Carb guy is closed today. I just did the reinstall and start-up and found the leak today. I gave him a call, but his shop is closed today or closed by the time that I got it all running. I pulled the carb and dropped it off at his shop and then picked it up. The rebuilder had no way to test it since I handled it this way.

The Carb was not leaking when I took it in for a rebuild. I believed that my power valve needed a replacement. Overall the carb needed a good cleaning. I think the carb dip loosened the plug or the dirt keep it from leaking. I keep putting the rebuild off each year for the last five years, and I finally pulled the carb off last fall. Now it is time to get it ready for the White Lake Mini.

I tried punching the plug and it did take the leak from two stream sprays to a smaller seep. However, it still needed to be addressed. Based off of another thread and Pete's input, I just applied some Devcon two part epoxy. If this does not work I will go back with the slow set JB Weld. Now I am wondering if the Devcon can handle the gas. They both (JB and Devcon) are epoxy.

I have to travel this week so I really need to get this taken care of this weekend to be ready for White Lake next weekend.

Thanks for all of the help. I will update the results.

Donald
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 8:29pm
Fixed float bowl on old Shovelhead with JB just to get it running sold shortly afterwards.Ran into guy who bought it 3 yrs later still same carb no issues.It's all in the prep and dry time.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 8:33pm
Add me to the list of folks who has fix this problem with JB Weld and had it last for years.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 10:01pm
Pete,
I'm wondering why the bad JB review?
I've set up aluminum 3 finger single lap shear panels at work
they pulled 2800-3000 psi in single lap shear and have run 1000 hr salt fog tests at 140*f and 100% humidity and the test panels weathered very well. It also resists petroleum very well.

At work we use Hysol EA9394 for aluminum filled epoxy it's much, much better but its also $410- a qt kit.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Quigs85SN2001 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quigs85SN2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 11:13pm
Someone taught me years ago to seal welch plugs with nail polish. You paint the opening with it then insert the plug and tap to expand it. Gasoline won't dissolve it. You may be able to seal over it after its been installed as well. It wouldn't cost much to try it, unless your wife catches you using hers.
Brian
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 11:43am
So far the Devcon Five minute Expoxy has worked. I was able to run the boat on the garden hose late yesterday afternoon with NO LEAKS. Now I need to learn how to adjust the idle. I understand that this has to be done under a load with the boat in gear so it is off to the lake later today.

I picked up some JB Weld (slow cure) last night. I may remove the majority of the Devcon that is on top of the plug, and apply the JB Weld. The JB will needs 17 hours to cure. I am concerned that the Devcon may not hold up to the gasoline.

Thanks for all of the help.

Donald
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 12:25pm
Devcon is like saying Ford which 5 minute epoxy do you have? (P/N)
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 9:27pm
Andy,

It is Devcon Part Number 20845 Rev. 1211
Devcon Home 5 minute Epoxy.

I was unable to find a data sheet on the Devcon Web-Site, but I was not checking via part number. I should of thought about that.

I had a house full of family today for Easter so I am just now going out to take a look at the boat.

My concern is if it starts leaking this weekend at the White Lake Mini, I will need to apply the JB Weld and wait 17 hours for a cure. I am thinking about trying to remove the excess Devcon and go with the JB Weld so I have several days this week to cure.

Thanks,

Donald
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 9:49pm
Donald,
I'd leave the Devcon in there. Both the Devcon and JB use the same base epoxy resin so both have equal resistance to gas. The biggest issue with JB is the resin/hardener was selected to be a sloppy homeowner mix. The mix ratio can be sloppy and the epoxy will still work although strength is sacrificed. If you get epoxy from the hardware store, your best selections are the double syringe with the mixing nozzle.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 9:53pm
Andy,

Thanks for the tip. It took a few attempts, but I was able to find a Tech Data Sheet on ITW's Web-Site for the Devcon #20845. The Tech Data Sheet states the following:

Chemical Solvent Resistant: Gasoline, Diesel and Kerosene

Based on this I am going to leave it alone and just keep an eye on it during the White Lake Mini.

Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction with the product number tip.

Have a great Easter Weekend.

Donald   
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-20-2014 at 10:02pm
There's a good chance the Devcon will be fine. Tomorrow morning I'll look up the material data in our library at work. I'll post something in the AM. The JB fast cure will work just as good BUT it's FAST cure. Very,very little working time, like a minute not much more.

I'd like to go to White Lake but still don't know if I can make it. All this rain isn't helping my argument. I'll know by Tuesday PM.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 12:08am
Andy,

Thanks for the help and I hope to see you again at White Lake.

Donald
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 10:08am
Donald,
   Devcon 20845 5min epoxy resistance to unleaded gas excellent resistance to ethanol poor. Our adhesives and sealants chemical engineer thinks Prematex gasket sealer is the way to go or Loctite.
I have personal experience with JB Weld and it’s always worked .
If you made sure the surface is clean with no gas residue I’d go with the Devcon keep an eye on it .If it does leak it will seep slowly. – I’d bet it will be OK

If you PM me a fax # I'll send you the Technical data sheet.

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 10:40am
Andy,

I did get the surface clean of residue so I think that I am good to go. Thanks for checking this out via your office.

I hope to see you this weekend at White Lake. I still have to dial this puppy ( idle) in.

Thanks,

Donald
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-21-2014 at 10:46am
Donald -

You'll have quite a few wrench-turners there. I got my crazy spark plug issue diagnosed and spark plugs swapped out in no time last year. She'll be purring like a kitten again.........
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 12:22pm
I love wrenching on boats at reunions haha. It's a lot of fun and you always learn something weather you are wrenching or not.
pholman59 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pholman59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 4:24pm
Superglue! let it sit 24 hours then zoom!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic