Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New old boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
Flip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 8:59am
Thanks for the engine info, uk1979. That gives us a starting point.
Phil Carlin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-22-2014 at 8:35pm
Phil,
Rodger is one of several on site who is a Y block expert. Rebuilding them hats down to the Boat Dr. I'm another Y block owner. When looking for an engine, PLEASE look for a reverse rotation. With the narrow beams of early hulls, you will not like how a standard (LH) engine will perform.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Flip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 9:17am
Thank you for that info.
Phil Carlin
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 10:32am
Phil, This is one Billy built for me and sent to the UK...disregard the carb air vents as they were on it till Billy found the right ones, which I now have the round type, it has a Dearborn C trans for reference.
I was at Billy’s Shop last month and know he has a few Y Blocks there and a Dearborn trans along with Velvet Drive too.

Billy’s number 318 386 two eight two five.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Flip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 10:45am
Awesome, Roger! I will be heading to Mobile, AL late next week. Might have to leave a day early and keep on going to LA.
Phil Carlin
uk1979 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uk1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 11:20am
Originally posted by Flip Flip wrote:

Awesome, Roger! I will be heading to Mobile, AL late next week. Might have to leave a day early and keep on going to LA.

Phil, It's a 12 to 13 hours from Astor FL to Billy in LA as I drove it last month too...just under 800 miles, drove right through Mobile which I think is just over half way.

Lets have a go
56 Starflite
77 SN
78 SN
80 BFN
Flip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 5:59pm
Peter, Do you have any oil problems with your Y block?
Phil Carlin
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-23-2014 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Flip Flip wrote:

Peter, Do you have any oil problems with your Y block?

No, I have never had an issue however from "Y blocks forever" Billy did come up with a good idea for improvement. As I understand it, you plug the low side of the rocker arm shaft and this is supposed to improve oil flow back to the mains and rod bearings. On a Y block, oil goes up to the rocker arms first. Take a look in the manual and it's pretty clear and consult Billy. I will do it when the time comes for a rebuild. (it's never been touched and still runs great)

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 12:49am
Also a Y block fan here. Original un-molested 312 in Dad's 63 - wait, check that, I forgot it had been re-worked in the mid 80's to make it more compatible with unleaded gas. I can't remember the exact terminology, so I don't want to get it wrong. It's been a while since I thought about it, I am sure it will come to me at 3AM. Anyway, great engine - really strong in the Ski Nautique. Great set up, all kinds of power, power to weight ratio WAY better then my Sport Nautique. The only other things we have touched is the carb rebuild, oil pump was rebuilt and we blew a water hose... Yep love the 312!
Flip View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-24-2014 at 1:02pm
Bob - Did you upgrade to a larger engine in the one you had? If so, to what? Last night my father-in-law said ours originally had the Interceptor engine with dual carbs, yet some on this forum say the 312 is too heavy an engine for this boat. Now I am totally confused!
Phil Carlin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic