Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

transmission swap PCM 40A with new 80A

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
pbarwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbarwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transmission swap PCM 40A with new 80A
    Posted: April-16-2014 at 1:55pm
My PCM 40A needs a rebuild, quote was for rebuild was almost as much as new 80A model.
Any one know of any issues swapping transmissions? It is supposed to be a swap out.
According to skidim. I have 1995 Sport Nautique - direct drive. ONly change I see is that my engine will now sit level. - hoping no shaft length changes, etc Thanks for the help !!

here is details

TRANSMISSION KIT, PCM 80A 1.23:1
New PCM 80A transmission kit replaces PCM 40A 1.23:1 ratio. Kit includes new damper plate, 12" transmission cooler and lines. Same dimensions as the original PCM 40A with 9 degree downangle output coupler. The 80A fluid pump is not reversible and will only work with a left hand (standard) rotation engine.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 2:19pm
So, you currently (your original) have a 1.23:1 transmission, right? You already have a left hand (Standard) rotation motor?

I remember Kapla saying something about installing a "newer" version of the 1:23 tranny, I'm not sure if it's the same one you're talking about.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 2:24pm
According to Skidims description the lengths are the same so there should be no need to change shafts.
Also if you did have the 1.23:1 in there before the motor should have sat close to level to begin with there should be no change there either.
pbarwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbarwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 2:39pm
Engine is GT40, left handed ( standard rotation)?
pbarwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbarwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 2:41pm
And yes, the PCM 40A transmission is the 1.23:1.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by pbarwick pbarwick wrote:

Engine is GT40, left handed ( standard rotation)?

Yes
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 3:20pm
Mine was still labeled as PCM40a when I swapped it, then they changed it to the 80a model...

<a href="">1992 ski nautique
pbarwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pbarwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 3:31pm
So yours has the down angle then? Does your engine sit level?
This is supposed to be a heavier duty transmission, do you see any other differences?
Thanks

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 3:42pm
Same set up, engine sit almost level, and yes the output flange has a down angle.
In my case It was same model replacement and required no modification. I used same shaft and plate.
For the 80A look like the kit comes with the proper plate, and seems it will let you use the same shaft.
Probably you should ask Skidim to confirm If shaft need to be replaced.
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
michaelwlaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwlaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2019 at 7:53am
I just replaced my transmission from PCM 40A to the newer/heavier PCM 80A. I have a 1997 Sport Nautique with PCM GT40. The new torque plate fit perfectly and the transmission works with the existing shaft. The only modification needed was a slight cutout of the floor panel above the transmission due to the fact that the rear casing of transmission sits 1/2 inch higher. I will say since replacing the trans.ission I noticed the boat takes longer to plane and longer to hit top speed. I guess I would expect a newer transmission to operate better, but it is a different transmission technically.
Michael W Laster
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2019 at 8:15am
Originally posted by michaelwlaster michaelwlaster wrote:

I will say since replacing the trans.ission I noticed the boat takes longer to plane and longer to hit top speed. I guess I would expect a newer transmission to operate better, but it is a different transmission technically.

They're both the same 1.23 ish to 1 ratio, so if you're missing acceleration and speed, I think I'd be looking at the engine and not thinking the new transmission is the problem unless maybe you swapped props at the same time to a different pitch and/or diameter

And then it would be the props fault

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwlaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2019 at 8:19am
Unless the mechanic didnt adjust cables right. The engine has always run smooth and it does sound more like a big block now for some reason. The mechanic suggested I replace distributor cap and the engine would run smoother. But I agree, a transmission with same gear ratio shouldn't make a difference with acceleration. Maybe throttle cable needs adjustment?
Michael W Laster
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2019 at 8:49am
Maybe a plug wire got knocked off or a plug got broken during the work.

Along with the throttle cable, I'd be checking the wires and the plugs as an easy starting point
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2019 at 7:59pm
I got a great deal on a boat load of clutch kits and seal and gasket kits for a 40 series so We can rebuild your 40 series for $1,200 while supplies last. That’s much cheaper then a new 80 series
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2019 at 10:13pm
Can I ask how many h0urs you guys got out of the 40A before failure?
I always thought the transmission in a direct drive was pretty much a lifetime part unless it was ruined by something.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwlaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2019 at 11:58pm
740 hours. Not much in my opinion, but I'm not an expert. What I do know is that heat can cause wear of the parts which results in the need for rebuilding or replacement. I don't believe any transmission is built for a lifetime as it is mechanical.
Michael W Laster
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 5:20am
My first BW unit went 1,500 hours in our 1978 Nautique. I did put clutch plates in it but only because I broke them using reverse as a brake in a panic stop. Former Jet Boat driving made me think reverse would help stop faster, it did not, but it did break my clutch plates. This was 25 years ago.
I only replaced gaskets and the clutch plates, same bearings went the full 1,500 + hours.
Sounds like the 40A does not last as long as the old units, I think we called the BW unit a Velvet Drive?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 11:12am
Originally posted by FFImarine FFImarine wrote:

I got a great deal on a boat load of clutch kits and seal and gasket kits for a 40 series so We can rebuild your 40 series for $1,200 while supplies last.

Good to know since Eric always commented on how expensive the PCM parts are having to get them from PCM only.

Sort of like Walters "special" bearings only available from Walters!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2019 at 11:39am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by FFImarine FFImarine wrote:

I got a great deal on a boat load of clutch kits and seal and gasket kits for a 40 series so We can rebuild your 40 series for $1,200 while supplies last.

Good to know since Eric always commented on how expensive the PCM parts are having to get them from PCM only.

Sort of like Walters "special" bearings only available from Walters!

I remember a long time ago how you had a special distaste for the Substandard engineering of the Walters V-drive.
SCove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2020 at 7:00pm
Hi - just came across this while searching, and wondering if this $1,200 price is still good? I can pull it and send it out in the next week or two if so.

Thanks!
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2020 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by SCove SCove wrote:

Hi - just came across this while searching, and wondering if this $1,200 price is still good? I can pull it and send it out in the next week or two if so.

Thanks!

FFI marine who has the $1,200 price (Joe) hasn't been logged on since Feb 5th.

You should probably click on the link below and give him a call

link

Maybe he'll answer the phone
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2020 at 9:57pm
Hi.. sorry I’ve been a little busy lately but yes the $1,200 rebuild is still going on please give us a call 330-273-8291
SCove View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-02-2020 at 3:34pm
Thanks! Will do. Planning to pull it tomorrow and once I have it out and ready, will contact you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic