NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Full Seadek Floor Install on 1999 SAN

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 2:40pm
$1200 or even $2000 is probably way more then carpet, but a reasonable spend to get a finished product as above. IMHO.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 2:43pm
Jared, for the fellas doing stringer jobs (me included) do you think it would be a good alternative to paint the bilge and floor area with this paint vs. Gel coat?

Tim prefers Gel and I agree but if this were a little easier to work with maybe even brush on? It may be a little easier to handle than a gel spray out.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 2:46pm
Why cant you brush gel? I have. Lays down pretty nice.
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 3:11pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Jared, for the fellas doing stringer jobs (me included) do you think it would be a good alternative to paint the bilge and floor area with this paint vs. Gel coat?

Tim prefers Gel and I agree but if this were a little easier to work with maybe even brush on? It may be a little easier to handle than a gel spray out.

The product I used can be sprayed on or rolled on. I rolled it onto everything over two days. The cost is about $125 per gallon and I used all of three gallons. But I also coated a lot of extra stuff like the top and bottom sides of the three floor panels mentioned in my original post as well as the bow-filler step. Plus I applied it to the gunwale shelves/cupholders, and everywhere under the bow, helm, and observer's seat. The gel coat quotes I obtained while researching the project were about $400 just for the top side of the floor.

As for using it on stringer projects. I wouldn't hesitate as it is easy to apply and would provide a waterproof coating. But you'd have to prime the wood before applying the urethane and it is NOT smooth. It has an orange-peel finish. But I, admittedly, am not familiar with how easy or hard gel coat is to apply or work with and I am not sure if this urethane is better or not.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 3:28pm
Not sure what youre envisioning for use on a stringer project... bilge coating maybe? I cant imagine it would be good for anything beyond that. What type of primer/prep did it require? Does it seem to hold much dirt? I know Joe said his bedliner bilge is hard to keep clean.

Gel could have been rolled just like the urethane at ~$40/gal and you can tint it yourself, FYI.
scarbs View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 4:57pm
The urethane coating does not hold dirt and is easy to keep clean. Most anything brushes or wipes off as it would/does from the gel. I used an epoxy primer, but there are other less expensive recommendations for primer on the manufacturer's website.

I know that there are many out there who could do this project better and for less money. This is just the option that I chose for the reasons that I mentioned (most notably its toughness as it will not chip or scratch like gel coat) and it worked out fantastically well for me. I could not be happier.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 5:10pm
Ahhh, didn't realize you could roll it Timmy. I was thinking bilge coating.
correctboat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote correctboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2018 at 7:53pm
2005 ski Nautique 196

your boat looks amazing and inspired me to replace the carpet with sea dek

you used UHMW for taking up the gap created with the removal of the carpet around the hatches and floor pans
UHMW is so slippery - did the Sea Dek adhere to it?

How did you blend the UHMW in     were you able to paint it or did you coat it with fiber glass first

would you use another material if you had to do it again and if so, what and why?

Thanks
Robert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic