NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1969 Ski Nautique Stringers- Why, I don't know

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
Author
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

When I got my boat in the late 80's the glass was broken out but the frames,ends and clips were all there. I normally do not throw anything away but at the time I thought the chances of finding new glass was impossible so one day cleaning the garage out they went along with a cracked but repairable bucket seat. I could have put them somewhere they didn't take up much room. I will never throw anything away again !

Gary, do you know what landfill it went to? I may start digging!   
Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2014 at 11:51pm
Wes I think I speak for everyone saying I'm happy you chose the direction you did.

I can't wait to see it on the water!
1999 Ski Nautique 196
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-03-2014 at 12:14am
Originally posted by C-Bass C-Bass wrote:

Gary, do you know what landfill it went to? I may start digging!   

I think you might find Jimmy Hoffa first
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-15-2014 at 9:55pm
I have been working on the engine for the last couple of weeks. The original engine in my boat ran perfect, good compression, it just liked to fill the oil pan up with water. I suspect a cracked block because when I disassembled the engine and removed the core plugs (freeze plugs) the customary piles of rust scale in the bottom of the coolant passages around the cylinder bores were oily. Water in the oil and oil in the water led me to believe that the water was not ingested through the exhaust or intake nor the result of a slipped gasket (no evidence to support that theory). I decided not to bother having my original block crack checked.

Horrible Photo

One of the two engines that I purchased from craigslist had no water in the oil and had been winterized properly and looked like a really low hour engine (as did my engine). I disassembled that engine and had that block cleaned, crack checked and the bores measured. I decided not to bore the engine and used everything from the original engine and the donor block. I made around $350.00 selling parts off the two engines that I removed from the SS Minnow and that money paid for the re-ring/ Gasket kit and the machine shop fees- plus I got a good block out of the deal. I cleaned everything up, put new Bearings, Rings and gaskets in the engine. Everything seem good so far.

I painted the engine Chrysler Green (looks blue to me). I love this color.

Now I have to paint the rest of the parts- Bellhousing, Transmission, Pulleys & brackets. I purchased the Carpeting and Exhaust Hose- so the plan is:
1.) Test fit the engine & trans and make sure the mounts all line up and the shaft is aligned.
2.) remove engine assembly and install the carpeting and side panels
3.) Install the exhaust hose
Install the engine and hook up exhaust, cooling hoses, electrical & fuel hose.
4.) Install interior and then....well, I don't want to get too excited yet.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-16-2014 at 12:04am
Looks awesome wes. I like the color too. I tried to do that chrysler color but mine ended up being much more blue than I wanted. Oh well...it performs in spite of the color mishap.
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 11:58am
I finished assembling the engine & trans and test fit it into the boat. I didn't have a good template for cutting the floor for trans mounts and the exhaust hose, so I set the engine in temporarily and marked the floor to cut the requires clearances.

I also wanted to check engine mount/ Lag bolt hole placement in comparison to my measurements that I took when starting this project. There were 3/4" plywood shims under the front mounts, but they were crushed and rotten.

When I put the engine in there was almost 3 inches of shaft showing between the strut and prop. I moved the engine forward to end up with less than 2 inches. It turns out that I don't need the shims and have a pretty good initial coupler to trans alignment without even trying. I found the sweet spot for the shaft to rotate easily and adjusted the mounts without them being lag bolted in and this is what I came up with. I marked the lag bolt hole locations and think that I have found the right mix- even though I moved it forward of my initial measurements.

This puts the front of the engine close to the pylon so I am going to test fit the interior and the motor box before lag bolting everything into place. Mocking all of this up should help me prevent an "Oh Crap" moment down the road (tomorrow)

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 12:09pm
I took the engine back out and installed the carpet. 20 ounce Red marine carpet from Ebay. Cut it, glued it in- easier said than done.

Then I test fit the "Bad Acid trip from the 60's" side panels in. I don't like how they are angled and take up already tight floor space. They have some ragged edges on the bottom, so I am going to trim the bottoms a little and they should slide up tighter to the side walls- hopefully giving me more floor space between the motor box and the side walls.

All this test fitting is complete, so now I am on to permanently install the interior and then putting the exhaust hose in and finally the engine assembly. Probably test fire the engine and dial in the mechanicals before putting the seats and doghouse in.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 12:39pm
Looking good!

I agree those side panels take up a TON of floor space, good plan to trim and fit them closer to the sides.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 1:38pm
Run, tune and leak prove the engine on block before putting it in the boat.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-27-2014 at 2:35pm
I would put the engine back where it was and shorten the driveshaft appropriately rather than move it forward for any reason... Doing so may cause detrimental handling or high speed behavior. That tight fit between the engine an pylon will also cause you massive headaches.

Bummer that you didn't go back with the original vinyl floor covering.
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would put the engine back where it was and shorten the driveshaft appropriately rather than move it forward for any reason... Doing so may cause detrimental handling or high speed behavior. That tight fit between the engine an pylon will also cause you massive headaches.

I did put the engine back where it was originally but I didn't shorten the shaft. It has more distance between the strut and prop than I would like (close to 2 inches), but adding the cost of an A.R.E. shaft or shortening this shaft at this point doesn't make sense to me. I am not keeping this boat, so I've tried to rebuild the boat without being upside down (not including 4,000 hours of labor)

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Bummer that you didn't go back with the original vinyl floor covering.

I never considered putting vinyl on the floor? Not that I am opposed to it, but I didn't realize that I came with vinyl- it had nothing when I got it. I probably would have put carpet down anyway. The hull is painted, it has the wrong graphics and a swim platform so one more non original thing isn't going to make a difference. I was going to strip the paint, but I read Dangerwill's mustang thread on stripping paint and putting on new gel and got scared.
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 3:09pm
Iam getting close to being done (I have said thet a thousand times) took some photos of the current state. Engine runs great, everything seems to working fine, going to the lake is probably a week away.

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 4:09pm
looks pretty sweet!   nice job
dangerwil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangerwil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 10:24pm
Sorry I scared you off the gel. Boat really looks beautiful the way she is. You are going to have so much fun with it.
DMH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 10:37pm
Looks great. I look forward to seeing it at a reunion sometime.
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2014 at 7:48pm
Kind of a bittersweet day. I sold the 69 SN a couple of weeks ago. It is packed up and ready to hit the road tomorrow morning. A guy in Iowa bought it and I agreed to a partial delivery on the west side of Michigan. It has been a long, hard (expensive) ordeal, but I am glad I did it. I never intended to keep it, the thought was to part it out and make a boat bar out of it (big talking boat bar dreamer). Luckily I was talked into either keeping it and rebuilding it or passing it on to someone who would do the same. I decided to do both. Along the way I had a lot of people offer advice and let me know where I could find rare parts. I really appreciate the help. Just a few final photos before I am officially off Team Red again. I have my eye on a 1990 Ski Nautique that I am going to look at after completing the sale on this boat- unfortunately not Red.

wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2014 at 9:31pm
Sure looks great you did a nice job. If you tell the new owner about us maybe we will see it at a Green Lake next summer!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-12-2014 at 9:52pm
Wes,
Hopefully the 69 is going to a good home and he appreciates the work that went into it. Is he a fan? If not, make sure he knows about the site.

Good luck on that 90. Keep us informed.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-13-2014 at 9:25pm
Wes- saw the boat pass by my house this afternoon! Gary (father of a ski buddy of mine) has been looking for a while so I was happy to I for him if your boat. He's a Husker fan so team red was a requirement.

They will appreciate the work Wes has done and treat the boat very well. Hopefully we can talk them into joining our caravan up to GL!
wwchevy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wwchevy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-14-2014 at 9:49am
Thanks guys. It was a pleasure to finally meet Gary and his son Austin. I'm glad it went to someone who will take tha boat to the next level. When I put it up for sale on Craigslist we spoke on the phone and he told me he wanted it, I asked him to let me send photos of all the warts before he made up his mind and drove from Iowa. I would hate for someone to drive that distance only to be disappointed. Even after seeing the scratches on the bottom of the hull and the pitted chrome he still wanted it, although me saying that alarmed him.....really good sales tactic huh?? I let him know that if he has any questions in the future I would be glad to help, but he also knows of this site and lives by Chris so he is in good pretty good hands. Im not completely sure what boat I'm getting next but it won't need stringers and it will be a Correct Craft. (Is that possible)
wwchevy
1989 Barefoot Nautique
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2019 at 3:39pm
Update on this boat's status for anyone interested.

Gary and Austin purchased the boat from Wes in 2014 and kept the boat for a few years. During that time they had a new 318 long block installed due to a crack in the intake valley. I don't have all the details on the new block or spent any time behind the wheel since but it was done by a local marina and sounds very healthy from the shore. Overall, it was stored inside, remained in the same condition and used once or twice a year.

Gary and Austin sold the boat to an older gentlemen on the lake a few years ago, again hardly ever used. Unfortunately, the new owner had a really rough winter and will be selling the boat and his lake house due to some health challenges.

I'll be posting the boat for sale on his behalf but would certainly appreciate any help spreading the word.

Seems all the hard work is done on this one - would be nice to see it find a proper CCF home!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 4:00pm
Turns out this boat had a rough winter along with the owner.  Long story short, the boat has another cracked block due to poor winterization two years ago. I charged the battery, put a set of points and got it to fire for the owner this spring but didn't go any further.  The owner took it to a local mechanic this summer, ran it on a hose for a few minutes and found milkshake in the bilge.  

I happened to be having a beer with a neighbor last week as the owner walked by and made me an offer I couldn't refuse.  Zoë wasn't too thrilled at first but I think she's warming up to the idea of owning a first gen SN.  

Pulled out the 318 LA and test fit the 318 Poly from our Riviera project.  Hope to have everything buttoned up and back on the water in the coming weeks! Long terms plans include a proper rub rail, paint job for the 318 Poly and doing something with the painted hull sides.  

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-23-2020 at 4:34pm
That's a great boat.  Post some pics when you can.

What's the width and height of the split glass windshield on that boat?  The topic came up and you could shed some light if a Barracuda windshield would fit #1.
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-24-2020 at 9:56am
Made me an offer I couldn't refuse..............my kind of deal.  Get's me in trouble with my wife now and then but that's just part of it.  

+1 on Riley's request for pics.
SRB
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 2:58pm

Update on this boat - it's been a few years full of distractions but we're getting excited about this boat again and ordered a pile of parts needed to get her on the water again.

A few pics of how it started for those of you who didn't see this boat before the site hack...

Painted hull sides with 70's style letters painted on top

Same on the transom...

Here's the "new" 318 long block the PO had installed before it cracked...

How cool is this piece?! Anyone familiar with this place?

Back in the fall/winter of 2020 I made some great progress on this boat.  The goal for this project was a simple wet sand, drop in a replacement engine and go skiing the next spring.  Seems easy enough, right?

My initial plan was to remove all the paint but found some pretty decent bondo patches in a few places on the transom. Not wanting to take on a full re-gel job, I decided to start removing the letters and hope it looked somewhat acceptable....and slightly more original.  

Maddox voted to stop at this point...mom shut that idea down pretty quick

Initial results looked great! 

I think we'll all agree it looks like a completely different boat without the funky 70's style letters.  Overall, the paint isn't perfect, good enough for us to haul kids around the lake.

Still trying to figure out the sizing feature on imgbb...

Once that was (almost) done I turned my attention to the engine/trans swap.  The 318 Poly set in nicely for the most part....

Then I decided to change directions and stole the engine/trans out of our 78 Ski Tique. (longer story for another post/thread). I assured Zoe it would still be a relatively quick project...

Mylo says....Oh goodness here we go again

A few weeks later we had the "new" engine in the boat.  This is a 302 (now 306) we had in our 78 Ski Tique.  Stock bottom end with P-Heads, cam and intake.  It's aligned and happy in the new home.  Still need to finish the wiring and modify the floor panels a bit but it's really close. Should be on the water soon, right?

Joke's on you, Dad!  Nothing's quick OR easy these days....

So then life gets busy - kids getting older, more after school activities and move to the other side of the lake. I quickly found moving is no small task when you live in on the lake. Family of 5 plus 3 boat lifts, 2 docks and two seperate small garages full of boat stuff all right in the middle of our busy season.  I'm still unpacking.  

Yep, sure enough, lost focus on this thing and my attention was turned to house projects and other general life stuff.  Time working on boats has been limited but we've spent a ton of time skiing and enjoying out other boats.  

Maddox, Mylo and Hadley (L-R) enjoying a nice night in the 01

Maddox and his ski buddies at the IA state waterski tournament

Girls in boat ride Zoe's 88 SN

Yep, life is good!  

Back on topic...here she is hanging in the new Mars Marine Global HQ with a few friends her age. Don't worry, I have plans to modify the platform brackets and replace the platform.  

As it sits today, she's currently waiting on a new rub rail, a few ancillary bits and some wiring to be complete.  I'll be back with some questions and needing some advice once those parts arrive.  More to come soon!

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 3:54pm
Thumbs Up  Nice to see this kind of update again.  Hope the start of a trend.  Tho as a former card carrying member of the Ski Tiques Are Cool club, the idea of turning one into  a parts boat saddens me just a bit...but I have a feeling there is another engine sitting around somewhere close by.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 4:08pm
How did the kids get so big! When did that happen!
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 4:13pm
Chris-How long ago did you move to other side of the lake?  I remember seeing a snap chat a while ago but like all good snaps it disappeared before I got to see or read the answer.  My readers were not within reach and just like that the snap was gone!

Boats are looking good and what's the mountain bike in background?  That is another hobby I picked up a few years ago.  Single tracks in your area?
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-07-2023 at 11:33pm

Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I have a feeling there is another engine sitting around somewhere close by.

Larry, you're spot on! The Tique is likely headed to a new home with another IA ski buddy.  New home will be rich with CC history and a perfect lake for the Tique.  

Originally posted by skutsch skutsch wrote:

How did the kids get so big! When did that happen!

Steve, I couldn't agree more! I ask myself this question daily. 

Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

Chris-How long ago did you move to other side of the lake?  I remember seeing a snap chat a while ago but like all good snaps it disappeared before I got to see or read the answer.  My readers were not within reach and just like that the snap was gone!

Boats are looking good and what's the mountain bike in background?  That is another hobby I picked up a few years ago.  Single tracks in your area?

Bill, we bought my parents place back in Oct of 2021.  Loved our old place but being on the water is awesome. Perfect spot for the kids! The bike (Specialized Fuse) hasn't been used as much as it should lately. We do have quite a few trails but they're not great for bikes - primitive and mostly used for ATV's and SXS's.  Saturday afternoon I ran my machine across the lake on the ice, jumped on the trails to get out of the lake and down gravel to get into town.  Sure does make for a fun beer run!  Probably why the bike doesn't get as much use Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 234
  Share Topic