NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel Pump?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 10:12pm
Is the cut out quick and like a complete shut-off? Fuel cut-out problems don't usually act like turning the key off, they usually will sputter, surge, recover a bit before dying. So, I'd look at electrical and ignition still. Check your kill switch, ignition switch, look at anything that could be intermittent and take it from there. I'm not saying it can't be fuel, but still sounds electrical to me.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 10:22pm
Could be coil.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 10:23pm
Check tank vent some critter might have built something in there over the winter.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Is the cut out quick and like a complete shut-off? Fuel cut-out problems don't usually act like turning the key off, they usually will sputter, surge, recover a bit before dying. So, I'd look at electrical and ignition still. Check your kill switch, ignition switch, look at anything that could be intermittent and take it from there. I'm not saying it can't be fuel, but still sounds electrical to me.

I agree. With the quick cut out, get the VOM out. I suggest a good look at the ignition key switch. Get the VOM hooked up and wiggle/turn the key. I also suggest measuring voltage out of it as well as resistance across it's contacts. (B and I terminal) It should be a near zero reading. Then, get volts at the ballast resistor going in and out.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Butter77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butter77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 12:29am
Let me rephrase, it was like running out of fuel pressure cut off. It had the stumble, lose power, drop RPM, surge, then cut off. If you tried taking it back to idle, it would just cut off completely. However, restarting and letting it idle was fine when we got back to the dock. I'll also check the fuel vent for any blockages.
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 10:15am
Starts good at first then looses power/runs out of gas? Tank vent.It's real easy to check. When it happens open the gas cap and start it if that works a dirt dobber (wasp) built a home in the vent.

Long time ago I had an old dodge panel truck as I threw money at it I put on a locking gas cap that wasn't vented. Ran fine for 10mi or so then ran out of gas. NO power but idled fine. I thew the kitchen sink at it. Then it happened again a friend took the gas cap off and the tank popped back into shape. That old slant 6 really pulled a vacuum!   

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 10:55am
I'd bet money on the anti siphon valve being plugged, but also check the inlet screen at the carb and the fuel filter, if applicable.
Butter77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butter77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-13-2014 at 11:51pm
Went to take the pickup tube out today and only the 90 degree fitting at the tank came out. Isn't the pickup tube supposed to be attached? There was some more junk in the anit siphon, but not enough to block any flow. Engine fired right up in the driveway with a full tank of fuel.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 1:04am
http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31482&title=fuel-tank-dip-tube-broken

The above link gets into how the dip tubes are set up, but for a fuel injected boat. Hopefully there's still some useful info there though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic