NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Single or Double

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2014 at 10:11am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

the one negative the single axle designs have more tongue weight if you want them to tow well the tongue is heavy, I think mine was over a 200 pound lift.

Axle count does not dictate proper tongue weight- it should be ~10% of the total weight regardless. A little over 200lbs is about right for a 2000lb boat on its single axle trailer. A tandem can wag just as easily with a light tongue... And that can be downright scary (been there done that).

Tandems can look great, but my singles have towed every bit as nicely on long hauls. I've never been forced to do roadside trailer work, that would be the one advantage of a tandem. Of course, you're maintaining 2x the number of parts for that small convenience. I've been able to limp to somewhere safe with a few broken springs and a flat tire even on the singles, though a bearing issue probably wouldn't give you that option. Maintenance is key either way.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2014 at 10:34am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

the one negative the single axle designs have more tongue weight if you want them to tow well the tongue is heavy, I think mine was over a 200 pound lift.

Axle count does not dictate proper tongue weight- it should be ~10% of the total weight regardless. A little over 200lbs is about right for a 2000lb boat on its single axle trailer. A tandem can wag just as easily with a light tongue... And that can be downright scary (been there done that).

+1 on the tongue weight. If the trailer fish tails, the tongue weight is low.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2014 at 7:38pm
The Sport has a very nice Tandem trailer that tows great at highway speeds.

This was my first tandem all previous boats were single axle that towed at highway speed almost as good. The single axles are easy to put in tight places when reversing and can be man handled far easier.

My take the Sport being a larger boat I would go for a tandem. From say a 196 style boat down I would go for a single axle.
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
skitique179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 1:53am
Well I made up my mind and pulled the trigger. New double axle on the way. Its gonna look sweet. Hopefully it tows well too...

GMacLaren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMacLaren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 2:42pm
-=Grant MacLaren=-
Retired Expert
http://www.grantmaclaren.com/72skier
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 2:55pm
I agree, tandems look sweet. I hope it works well for you
velde99 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote velde99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2014 at 9:19pm
I have a single trailer wearing a 1991 BFN and a tandem wearing a 1991 excel. Both are original Correct Craft trailers. I would say hands down the tandem rides so much better. The single is easier to whip around to back up into places- but for hauling the tandem is it. We just drive 1600 miles towing the tandem, and you hardly knew it was behind the truck. Just my thoughts. Good luck on the new tandem- you enjoy it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 1:25am
Well its done and it looks sweet. The company I had do it did a great job. It was a two man operation swinging it into the spot behind the house but it also towed on the highway waaaaaay smoother than the original. Here are some pics.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 1:29am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 1:34am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 1:40am
Also if anybody is looking for a an original in need of some love. In now know where you can find one...
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 9:35am
Very Nice - but should'nt the winch be slightly above the bow eye?
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 11:28pm
they forgot the brakes!?
This is the life
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2014 at 11:37pm
who built it? V&M?
This is the life
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 12:08am
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

they forgot the brakes!?

I've seen marine electric actuator fit in the standard-ish coupler......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 1:34am
I went with no brakes. The weight was right on the limit legally and I am towing with a full size truck so I am not that worried about it.

Also not sure about the winch. Wouldn't it work above or below the eye depending on which side of the eye the roller was supposed to be on?

Trail-Rite in SoCal built it...
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 2:04am
Brakes are nice on tandems.... Heck, the brakes on the single axle trailer of Reid's Blue Mustang sure made the towing (and stopping) a breeze.

My Tique and its original trailer pushed the Pilot around some (but not the F250)...
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 2:14am
Originally posted by skitique179 skitique179 wrote:

Also not sure about the winch. Wouldn't it work above or below the eye depending on which side of the eye the roller was supposed to be on?

Winch looks OK to me. At the ramp the bow sits low while the stern is still floating so the winch pulling from below will work without interfering with the bow stop.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic