Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Boat Off Trailer for Refab

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
skitique179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting Boat Off Trailer for Refab
    Posted: January-30-2014 at 1:36am
Hey Guys,

One goal for this winter season is to refurbish the trailer that my Skit Tique sits on. It has been used in salt in the past and needs to be blasted, painted, rebunked and rewired. In order to do this the boat needs to be off of it. Unfortunately I do not have any fresh water nearby enough that the boat can be left in while this occurs. Any tips on how I might be able to mastermind this without renting a forklift? I have tossing around the idea of using bottle jacks and wood blocking and moving the supports incrementally while pulling the trailer out...

What are your thoughts?
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2014 at 2:18am
The boat only weighs 2500 lbs or so. I have hung mine on the rafters in my Garage to work on trailers. My garage has the home above it so the timber is heavy, 2x10s that can carry the weight.
Once we lifted the boat and set it back down on a pile of tires spread out to keep the boat off the shaft and rudder. Both worked. Lifted once with a come along, once with a tow truck. We have done this with my old 78 Ski Nautique and with my brothers Keaton Jet boat. A $25.00 come a long can lift 2,000 pounds and you only lift 1/2 at a time so the load is well under the rating. Just make sure you use attachments that are strong, leave a good safety margin.
Frankenotter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankenotter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2014 at 7:42am
I just did it with 2 engine hoists. You could probably do it with one if you had enough help to pull the trailer out.

You'll definitely need some sort of cradle or stand to put the boat on. I got super lucky and got to use Allen's boat dollies, but I've heard of people using cinder blocks and 2x4s.

Just take it slow so you don't drop the boat and make a ton of work for yourself.

Video

1999 Ski Nautique 196
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2014 at 9:36am
Cinder blocks, 2x4's and a floor jack are all you need. Get the 2 back corners off the trailer and on blocks, then jockey between blocks and the jack for the front as the crossmembers pass while you pull the trailer out.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2014 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by skitique179 skitique179 wrote:

I have tossing around the idea of using bottle jacks and wood blocking and moving the supports incrementally while pulling the trailer out...

You're on the right track but I would use a floor jack. I agree with what TIm said, takes a bit of time but very simple.
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2014 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

I have tossing around the idea of using bottle jacks and wood blocking and moving the supports incrementally while pulling the trailer out...

You're on the right track but I would use a floor jack. I agree with what TIm said, takes a bit of time but very simple.

+3 - That's how you do it. I've done it twice. Easy to do, but just takes time. Jack up, scoot the trailer forward, lower, move jacks, repeat until the trailer is free.
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2014 at 9:02pm
It's faster with an overhead lift, engine hoist, floor jack, or bottle jack, but, if the trailer has the cranking front wheel , you can do it with that. Drop the nose, and block up the back of the boat. Lift the nose all the way up, and block the front of the boat. Move to level and scoot the trailer as far forward as possible. Repeat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

skitique179 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skitique179 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2014 at 3:15am
Thanks for the advice guys. Didn't even think about using the jack on the front of the trailer. I think this is totally doable now. I'll update once its done...
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-04-2018 at 11:34pm

Thanks for the advice guys. Didn't even think about using the jack on the front of the trailer. I think this is totally doable now. I'll update once its done...

And he was never heard from again.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2018 at 1:40am
๐Ÿ˜†   You bored?
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-05-2018 at 11:30am
Originally posted by DockDoc DockDoc wrote:

And he was never heard from again.

Maybe heโ€™s still lying stuck under the boat on the floor in his garage.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic