Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

79 ski tique trailer loading problems

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-07-2014 at 3:04pm
Thank you.
Its Alouette Lake in Golden Ears Provincial Park.

I do all my loading so far with that bow rope. I pull it over from the dock where my wife is holding it after backing in the trailer, and pull it into place. I have never drove it on yet. As for the depth of the ramp, I have not noticed a major diff between here an other lakes. Same procedure seems to work for me, however I found out on the last day of use this year that my winch was underated, and was bending a little bit each use. I had to do the brake method to slide the boat forward after the winch bound up.
I am still practicing to make perfect....will try fender depth next time for sure.
I bought a heavier one for this next season, and have bolted it better.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 4:11pm
Our 78 Nautique on a Nautique trailer, low boy type had rubber fitted to the boat side of both fenders, I sometimes got a rubber mark on the boat but no scratches and we drove it on every time. The rubber as I recall was 1/2 inch or so thick and fitted the exact shape of the fender. I found this old photo from the day we had our cover made.
This was our UNIQUE Nautique. The color scheme was actually done by the people that stole this boat. It was recovered and I fixed all the stuff they broke. I bought it from the insurance company after recovery. We kept the color scheme, It really looked great on the water.   If you look close you can see the rubber on the inner fender edge. This helped avoid injury to the boat while loading. Sorry I have no better pictures.

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Our 78 Nautique on a Nautique trailer, low boy type had rubber fitted to the boat side of both fenders, I sometimes got a rubber mark on the boat

I just put new carpet and ply on my 77 LB inner fender skirts since the ply had rotted out. (yes, I CPES'd the new ply ) The carpet is the turf type same as whats in the boat and on the trailer bunks. No black marks for me!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
sweet1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweet1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2015 at 10:18pm
I have a 77 tique. I know exactly what you mean. I have found 3 solutions to the problem. 1. I had the boat as light as possible and float/drive it til it sorta lines up. Then use the uprights on the trailer to make sure it is straight and not on a fender, then drive forward with your weight in the middle of the boat.

2. Fenders of the trailer need to be just under the water level.

3. No matter what, a shallow ramp are a nightmare! Unless you have a winch!

After fighting all the time to get it on the trailer (original) I added a winch, welded it on it's own stand. It's so easy now. I launch and retrieve by myself all the time. I drive the boat close. Then hook the strap. It slides up clean and easy, dead center every time, no scraping ever. So worth the effort to get a winch. With the winch if you have someone with some weight standing in the very back and centered it just flys into position.

Who ever decided power loading was a good idea must of had a very steep ramp.
“We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about”

Charles Kingsley
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2015 at 10:09am
If anyone is contemplating a winch, they have been discussed in several previous posts. I too feel they are a great addition. I'd like to say again that the winch should be mounted higher than the eye on the stem and I also like to add a keel roller just aft of the stem. This combination will bring the bow high when loading and more in line with the angle of the trailer on the ramp. Then, when out of the water, you will not come up short with the boat sitting aft of the bow stop. This prevents the need to use the "slam on the brakes" technique to slide the boat forward to the bow stop.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
CrazyCanuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrazyCanuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2015 at 12:39pm
That describes almost exactly what I have on mine. I just have to make sure I winch it up to a certain point otherwise the hull is short of the stop after the boat is pulled out.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtW3vJrMHLdqBzndt9VX3oOpBuRopGlzKq9Ea7pAO7wnTuoD8E8g
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2015 at 2:32pm
Winch!?!!!? That ain't original.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2015 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

Winch!?!!!? That ain't original.

Per ACBS rules, safety overrides originality. So, just go on slamming on your brakes. BTW, many ramps are now outlawing power loading due to the damage it causes. What are you going to do then?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2015 at 2:56pm
You can power load without blowing the dirt out underneath the ramp. Sure, if you leave the bunks out of the water you're gonna have to give it the go go juice but we basically float the boat off and on with minor assistance of the engine, say no more than 850 rpm's.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-14-2015 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

You can power load without blowing the dirt out underneath the ramp. Sure, if you leave the bunks out of the water you're gonna have to give it the go go juice but we basically float the boat off and on with minor assistance of the engine, say no more than 850 rpm's.

Todd,
You may be considerate with the loading technique but how many out there are not? There certainly are people that do spoil it for others and in this case the reasoning behind power loading being banned at many ramps and more to come I feel.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Faceplant View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faceplant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2015 at 12:39am
Every lake that I go to in Michigan , power loading is banned .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic