NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dumb stuff people say about boats

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
Author
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2016 at 3:46pm
My son started taking our '89 to the lake with his friends a couple of summers ago. I quizzed him before the first trip to make sure he would be able to answer peoples questions. What year is it? What motor does it have? Windsor or Cleveland? What carb does it have?   How fast does it go? He thought I was nuts. He said nobody would ask him anything. First time he launched it someone came over and asked pretty much all the questions I had asked him. He was happy that he knew what he was talking about.

As far as dumb ones: My friend has a Mastercraft with all the decals removed. We were standing next to it and a guy came over and asked who made it? My friend said he made it himself. He then started asking questions about how he did it.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2016 at 4:06pm
One time after a tournament, got a ride in a nautique demo. Eventually the engine cover comes up and he tells the passengers how its a chevy engine..
To avoid his embarrassment, I tried to discretely tell him it was a ford, he escalated, then got insistent even after I pointed out the distributer in the front. Eventually I pointed to the ford within an oval on the water pump, He didn't have much to say afterward, demo over.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-12-2016 at 4:39pm
I have no identifying markings on mine.   Likely not going to put anything on it as i like my paint job.   those who have commented thus far knew what it was though.     
In central FL at one time the majority of ski boats on the lakes were these.   Lake Conway about every house had one.
Hussler View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hussler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-17-2016 at 3:37am
These are hilarious

Even though I work at a marina most of the on Lake customers we deal with own or are very familiar with inboards, we do get a couple knuckleheads every now and then.

I went to go check out an old arabian for sale and the owner was a cocky old fart and this boat was completely huffed. I turned the steering wheel and the cable was cooked, he said "the rudder just needs to be greased" he also said it was a 455 Olds when it was very clearly a 454 that looked like it was rebuilt in the dark. He was also "firm" on his 4500 asking price. Didn't want to correct any of his ignorance so nobody else got stuck with that turd.

When I had my Bayliner the ignorance toward that boat was other worldly. "they call them Bayliners because they all sink" "my buddy had one and had xx problems" In reality they aren't made any worse than a lot of other brown paper bag boats. I bought mine for $300 owned it for 5 years, put about $500 into it and sold it for $3500, best boat evaaaa
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 345
  Share Topic