Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New Dash

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
drpookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Dash
    Posted: January-30-2013 at 10:32pm
I have finished the restoration on my 1988 Barefoot. I had done one about 12 years ago and she was due again from sitting on the boat lift year round. This is the dash, want to thank Marty for the plaques! I am very pleased w the new location of the stereo. At first i was freaking out a litte cutting into the dash but it turned out great there, perfect fit.
1988 BFN
1976 Ski Tique
drpookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 10:35pm
For some reason, the dash panel in my boat is 1/2" wider than the dash panel for the SN. Both restorations I had to cut in the center so it would fit in. Has anyone else had this happen? Still looking for a center emblem if anyone knows where to locate.
1988 BFN
1976 Ski Tique
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 10:57pm
Jeff,
That dash looks great. I just finished mine, but I went with a black lexan. I really like the carbon fiber look though. I tried getting a HawkEye depth sounder installed in my dash in the same hole and it was way too big, so interesting that yours worked out.

Do you have a place on Lake Rabun?
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2013 at 10:57pm
Hey, send me an upclose picture of your steering wheel emblem please! I have a good source for reproduction now. I will be doing that one and the other one from the later 80's early 90's

That dash looks great I wish mine looked that nice! I wish it was cheaper to reproduce the 85-86 panel.
drpookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 12:10am
Hey guys I appreciate that.
Bud, I am over on Seed, across from the Dam. Where are you located?
Zach that would be great! I will post one asap.
I got the panel from Nautique Skins. $160 plus shipping. I wish I could find one that fits w/o cutting. I am wondering why the SN is 1/2" off?
1988 BFN
1976 Ski Tique
drpookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 12:15am
Bud, The Hawkeye was tight but it went in with a little coaxing. I had a Lowrance in there that had given up. This time I moved the transducer up by the drain plug, so i can have more warning time if I am in forward gear. I think it would fit yours as well, they used the same dash pods but seems in 87 or 88 there is a gap. Some have the old and some have the new. I have forgotten where the cut off point is. Someone here will know I am sure. Which dash pod do you have in your 88?
I think I recognize the boathouse in your diary pic background, pretty sure it's on Seed :) I live in South GA now so only get home 4-5 times per summer to enjoy the lake, hopefully I can fix that soon!
1988 BFN
1976 Ski Tique
cboland View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cboland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 12:30am
I have the newer dash like yours. I have seen other guys use the Hawk Eye successfully in that dash, so maybe I just had the wrong model or something. I recall that it fit in the hole, but the bezel was too large for it to fit the surrounding area nicely.

My family had a place on Rabun for many years, but unfortunately not anymore. I still try to get up there a few times per summer as there is nothing like it. That pic was taken on Rabun up in the narrows area. I haven't ever been on Seed but will have to check it out sometime
Bud

1999 Sport Nautique
drpookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 12:42am
Aaah cool Bud, yeah I swear I have seen that one, and the one w the inboard hanging all jacked up hehe. Seed is smaller by far but less crowded and you can foot during the week all day which is a plus. Weekends are a bit too crowded to do anything but cruise or tube. Great looking SN you have there.
Zach here is the pic, thanks! I still have to drill out that broken allen grrr
1988 BFN
1976 Ski Tique
drpookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 12:54am
Some pics of the hull, will post more tomorrow. Maybe this info will help someone restoring their hull.
I wet sanded lightly by hand w 600, then 1000, then 1500, then 2000. Then buffed the hull w 3M Rubbing Compound on a wool pad medium speed, and then went back over with Finesse-It w a foam pad, then a hand wax w good old Turtle Wax. She came out pretty slick. My old decals from the previous restoration are holding up well but I plan to replace pin stripe and put the new side decals on. I goofed on the transom and didnt put the "Correct Craft" on top, because I forgot I had not found one yet and got in a hurry. Doh! Anyone have a link to that decal by chance? I have another transom BFN decal I can use below.
1988 BFN
1976 Ski Tique
drpookie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drpookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2013 at 12:59am
Bud, the Hawkeye I got was from Skidim for $99.00. Those guys are GREAT.
1988 BFN
1976 Ski Tique
Trader144 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader144 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 7:59pm
How did you get the dash instrument panel so shiny?

Buff? Paint?

David
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic