NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Intake/carb selection for 318 Chrysler

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2012 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Originally posted by 89Martinique 89Martinique wrote:

Originally posted by 74Wind 74Wind wrote:

Cottage about halfway up west bluff dr opposite the big point on west lake rd. It's the old red one on a point, and there's a little red dockhouse next to it on northside. My brother lives almost to the park, the one with the southwind and floatplane.

Gold Seal was always my favorite winery tour cause it was the only one you could get to by boat. I know that side of the lake well too, in the 70's my family owned/operated The Vintage, which is now The Waterfront.
That was a fun part of the lake, right next to the Vintage was Dottie's, a hot dog/ice cream stand with docks and walking distance north was The Wheel Inn which was the best bar on the lake till it burned down (in fact we ran that one too one summer). The Century is the boat that was on Keuka, bought new at Kelley's Marina (also now defunct) in 75.

Hmmm. I will look out for it when we are headed up that part of the lake to see some friends.

And thats some pretty interesting history you've get there. Yeah the water front is still around and doing well. The live bands they bring once in a while sure do bring a large crowd!

Lets see my grandfathers house(dads side) was north of the Yatch club by about half a mile.. Right at the bottom of Gibson Hill Rd. Its one Gibson Landing. It used to have a tennis court behind it and had a railroad that went into the basement. The new owners have added on to the house even more and built a 2 story garage over the tennis court :(

I know the house, south end of Gibsons. Used to be a motel, store across the street had a dock. My bro rafts up at Waterfront on Sundays.
The bar used to be a garage and apartment where I lived working summers.

Ummmmm. No. North end of Gibson Landing. Its the north neighbor of the long boat house that was converted into a house. Hmmm. The house did have a back apt. dont know if its still there. We lived in the apt. for a while but the rest of the family didnt like it so we moved to the farm house and then my grandmother(dads side) sold the house cause no one was living there and it was only used for lake visits.

That is the house I meant.

By apartment I meant at the Waterfront. the building on the north side where the bar/etc is used to be a garage on the roadside and an apartment on the lake side. Comically, the breakwall foundation was cracked/shifted then and on rough days the water would splash up under my bed...gave new meaning to "living on the water".

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
C-Bass View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C-Bass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2014 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by reidp reidp wrote:

Thomas,

This may be a long posting: Mainly you must proceed with considerable caution on this upgrade as this vintage Chrysler engine is more "marine" particular than almost all other marine conversions. We found this out thru experience, aka mistakes, and numerous conversations with vintage Chrysler experts. Several items to keep in mind up front. You will need a reverse rot cam and I don't know of a roller version available, but a standard RR cam upgrade is available. Next, and the biggest anomaly, is the plumbing system which directly affects or is affected by the intake manifold, which is the most unique issue to this engine. As you will or have already noticed on your existing intake, it's stamped "MARINE", and is for a reason. Like some early pre '66+/- Interceptor Fords, there is no circulating water pump, only a two impeller raw pump in this case. Water flows into the front housing/cover- then into the starboard block then head and into the intake- then BACK into the front cover and then into the port block and head and then finally out of the intake and out of the engine. The water path isn't open straight thru or across the front of the intake/engine like most do prohibiting the use of an automotive intake, UNLESS you modify it to operate like Marshall did to control the flow as required. (see Marshall Morgan's hot 273 Chrysler 1970 Mustang in the diaries with an Edelbrock) You must block the flow and direct it back out of the intake with a new nipple. You'll see the hose on the left front leading from the intake back into the front cover. So study the way the water flows thru the somewhat confusing diagram in the Chrysler owner's manual in the REFERENCE SECTION. A standard auto intake will not flow adequate water to the port side of the engine. BUT, I do recommend having the modification made and going with the aftermarket intake as it made a considerable difference in performance, and your original T-stat housing and hoses will then hook up correctly.

Reid      

Okay, dragging this back from the dead to try and understand this Chrysler intake modification for taking an automotive intake (in my case Edelbrock Performer RPM) and making it work with the Chrysler marine cooling circuit. If Reid, or someone familiar with the specifics, could help me out in exactly how you go about modifying the intake. Was this welded? Epoxy? I have tried to sketch up the flow path and the location of the modification. Please correct me if I'm understanding this wrong, which is highly likely.

Green - fresh water thru pump
Yellow - Starboard side of block/head back to modified intake blockage, forcing back to front, across to port side
Red - Port side of block/head, back to intake/thermostat, out to rear of exhaust manifolds.

Craig
67 SN
73 SN
99 Sport
85SN
hawkeyes16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hawkeyes16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-26-2016 at 2:14pm
hi just been reading your posts here please can anyone tell me the modification for the edlebrock intake that diverts the coolant flow out and into the front crossover device this is a key issue and would love to get the definitive answer thanks D
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic