Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

'90 Y-Pipe Conversion to Straight Pipes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
RedSquad7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSquad7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '90 Y-Pipe Conversion to Straight Pipes
    Posted: May-22-2012 at 10:46pm
Here it is with a few pics to give everyone an idea how it went and looks. Took me three hours and I mostly took my time. No real complications to speak of. Made my initial cuts on the 3" Hose intentionally long to compensate for bends etc. and cut them back as necessary- Wound up making two cuts to each hose to get them to the appropriate length.
Thanks to Boat Dr for his excellent advice and time on the phone. The only place I varied from his instructions was to keep the original 4" pipe about 6" longer than he recommended. I played with a few things before cutting and think where I placed the Y is working great for my application. I will try to place the pics in sequence.

Sounds phenomenal. Quiet at idle in the water and awesome when on plane. No bad at all inside the boat but I haven't been pulled behind it yet. All in all i'm glad I did it. Met all my expectations and then some.

Y-Pipe placement about 6-8" Further forward than Boat Dr's recommendation.

Checking floor fitment and mocking before cutting

Although it may appear otherwise, The hose is making very minimal contact on the tiller cable. It is pressed against the port stringer which is supporting the hose's placement.

All done and went together very clean. Looks like it came this way.

'90 Ski Nautique

High Speed- Low Drag
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-22-2012 at 11:47pm
Wow with that placement of the rudder cable mount it looks like you could run duels without much hassle.
ononewheel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ononewheel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 2:00am
Nice work, and great post!
If we let the professionals do everything it takes all the fun out of youtube
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 8:43am
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Wow with that placement of the rudder cable mount it looks like you could run duels without much hassle.

No, there is a "hassle". If you take a look at Tim's dual conversion, you will see it's not the cable and tube mount that's the problem. Think about tiller arm!!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 11:41am
Running duals is easy... a 4" hose will in fact sneak by the steering components if you keep it tucked up right against the stringer.

The problem with that is the original hole is not in that same location on the other side, so the new hole will end up 6-8" away from being symmetrical. So youre left with 3 options... have asymmetrical holes (kinda defeats the purpose if they look like crap), fill the original hole and drill 2 new ones as wide as you can, or get creative and mirror the original hole.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 12:28pm
I thought Tims mounted like mine on the side of the stringer which makes it tough to get a hose past.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 12:47pm
No, mine is mounted to the bracket on the strut as well. You would have to relocate that at a minimum, I would think.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-23-2012 at 1:55pm
And now for the big question: How does it sound?!
N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 2:49am
Yeah post up a sound clip. I have a small crack in my muffler and instead of replacing I was thinking about removing it. Just worried its gonna be too loud. But I don't live on a small lake to annoy anyone either so it shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks
1991 SN pulled by a 2010 Tundra
RedSquad7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSquad7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 2:56am
I will have to work on a sound clip. It sounds great and is not at all obnoxious. But you can definitely hear it. I was pulled behind it this afternoon for the first time and thought it was awesome. Nice and throaty but I didn't think it was over the top at all.
'90 Ski Nautique

High Speed- Low Drag
N2Deep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote N2Deep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-29-2012 at 4:17am
Where did you purchase it from? Looked but couldn't find it anywhere. I know I saw it somewhere, but cant seem to locate it again.

Thanks
1991 SN pulled by a 2010 Tundra
RedSquad7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSquad7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2012 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by N2Deep N2Deep wrote:

Where did you purchase it from? Looked but couldn't find it anywhere. I know I saw it somewhere, but cant seem to locate it again.

Thanks

Hey buddy,

Billy or Boat Dr as he is known on here is where I purchased the necessary supplies. Pretty much two lengths of 3" corrugated exhaust hose and the y pipe itself is all you need- Maybe an extra hose clamp or two- But thats it. Make sure you know the diameter hose you need when you call him. The older pre HO boats have 3", the GT40 and HO boats have 3.5" risers. Just measure and be sure before you order.

Here's the number:
Billy- 318-386-2825
'90 Ski Nautique

High Speed- Low Drag
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2012 at 3:36pm
Originally posted by RedSquad7 RedSquad7 wrote:

The older pre HO boats have 3", the GT40 and HO boats have 3.5" risers.

*Almost* correct.

I believe all 1992+ 351w PCM's got the 3.5" risers whether they were standard or HO. My extended family has had 3 '92-93 SN's with the standard engine and larger risers.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-31-2012 at 3:40pm
My 1993 has the Standard Engine and larger (3.5") risers as well.
kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 12:29am
I also have the 3.5 risers and std now HO engine 1992...
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
RedSquad7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedSquad7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-01-2012 at 2:46pm
Thanks all for the clarification. Thats why I was careful to mention that he measure first! I certainly don't consider myself an authority- Learning as I go!
'90 Ski Nautique

High Speed- Low Drag
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2016 at 1:48pm
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
blvette84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blvette84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 6:49pm
do you know the aprox length on the 3" pipe he sent you
mspalatro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mspalatro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2019 at 1:56pm
I know this post is years old. But I want to do this same conversion to my 90. Do you have contact info for boat dr??
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2019 at 9:51pm
Just Google Centek 1200415 if you have 3.5" risers ... Centek 1200256 if you have 3" risers. That will give you prices & options. Got mine from HERE if memory serves.   Google the exhaust hose as well, 3" or 3.5".   Remember you'll need the corrugated (wire reinforced) not the soft wall. As it was stated in the conversation above, you'll need a few more ALL STAINLESS hose clamps for the conversion. Inspect the old ones thoroughly though - it may be worth it to buy all new.

JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
mspalatro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mspalatro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2019 at 11:33pm
Awesome. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic