NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2001 Sport Nautique - Engine Size

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2001 Sport Nautique - Engine Size
    Posted: July-28-2011 at 3:09pm
Looking at a 2001 Sport Nautique that is for sale which has a PCM 5.0 HO Engine. Was not aware that this engine was available for this model year boat. Will this engine provide sufficient power for barefooting, towing multiple skiers etc?
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
Swatkinz View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swatkinz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by NCH20SKIER NCH20SKIER wrote:

Looking at a 2001 Sport Nautique that is for sale which has a PCM 5.0 HO Engine. Was not aware that this engine was available for this model year boat. Will this engine provide sufficient power for barefooting, towing multiple skiers etc?

Greg, I'm sure you've checked the reference section. The 2001 brochure shows the GT40 being the standard power for that boat with a couple of upgrade options. Maybe the previous owner is mistaken about the 5.0?
Steve
2011 Sport/Air 200
Excalibur 343
2017 Boatmate Tandem Axle Trailer

Former CC owner (77, 80, 95, 88, all SNs)

Former Malibu owner (07, 09)
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2011 at 7:12pm
I'm pretty sure that engine/boat combo did exist, although they're pretty rare.

Here's a 2000 Sport with the 305

To answer your question, not sure. At the 2010 NE reunion, there was a PCM rep there. I was always curious about those motors so I was asking him about them. He said that a top-level slalom skier could draw them down a bit and that they were basically as expensive to make as the 350 based motors so they kind of declined in popularity.

I'd be curious though. I mean, they put out 275hp, which is more than the 240hp a lot of us have so you'd have to think it would perform decently.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 1:02am
I'm looking for a '98 to '02 Sport like you. I've decided, after lots of discussion, to only go with a GT-40. These are pretty large heavy boats and cubic inches make a difference. HP ratings happen at higher rpms and you've got to get the prop turning to get up to those ratings so I think the 5.0 would suffer as compared to a GT-40. I have no way to prove it as I haven't driven one, but I'll go out on a limb and say that a 240 HP 351 might have better low end pull than the 5.0. Just a guess on my part, hopefully someone who has driven one will comment.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 1:10am
I just looked at your boat in the diaries, so you have a GT-40 now. If you end up selling the '96 let me know, even thought I'm pretty sure I want the 3rd generation Sport I haven't totally ruled out a nice 2nd gen and your boat looks really clean.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2011 at 10:06am
The boat inquired about above is for my brother who has long been a fan of CC's. As for my '96 I am not anticipating parting with it as is provides the room for all the gear, fellow skiers etc. In my opinion the only thing my current '96 is missing is a tower (not that big a deal) and me in the drivers seat more often!
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
radoraev View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote radoraev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-23-2014 at 1:25pm
Hi all,
I beg for you for help….
We have so nice speed boat but we cannot find any information and we need some spare parts and manuals.
SKI NAUTIQUE BOAT
ENGINE ,,PCM 5.0 HO” benzin 8 cylinders
We love this boat and we want to repair and to use in our incredible water sport center
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNg1skWv3ew

Please help us and please check the attachment

Best regards
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic