Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Whats the best way to remove old registration numb
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Whats the best way to remove old registration numb

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats the best way to remove old registration numb
    Posted: September-09-2010 at 1:01am
Hey All,
Whats the best way to remove the registration numbers? Heat gun? Scraper? Goo Gone?
Thanks,
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 1:12am
Goo-gone, acetone. Whatcha puttin' back on it?

66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 1:13am
hair dryer and a plastic blade of some sort. I got mine off by heating and peeling it after getting a corner up
SN206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SN206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 1:17am
I used WD-40, worked good and fast. Razor scraper scared me.
...those who have fallen and those who will.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:01pm
Heat
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 12:27pm
You guys still struggling with heat guns and scrapers need to get an eraser wheel. One of the best $8 Ive spent on the boat- makes removing old decals a cinch. They are sold at autoparts stores and attach to a cordless drill. Follow up with goof off or goo gone to remove the residue.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

You guys still struggling with heat guns and scrapers need to get an eraser wheel. One of the best $8 Ive spent on the boat- makes removing old decals a cinch. They are sold at autoparts stores and attach to a cordless drill. Follow up with goof off or goo gone to remove the residue.

Alicia would appreciate this as I always seem to leave her hair dryer in the shop.

Might be $8 wasted for some of the guys who have their own hair dryers they use on a daily basis!
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 4:19pm
You could always sell the boat and let the new owner worry about it.

+1 on the eraser wheel,or the plastic razor blade & heat methods are the best. on viyl lettering.
WD 40 will tke off the residue.

Painted on lettering comes of with EZ Off oven cleaner.
seacamper View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seacamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-09-2010 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by MartyMabe MartyMabe wrote:

Goo-gone, acetone. Whatcha puttin' back on it?

Hey Marty,
I ordered something last night online--I forgot to check here and see who might be in the business! Sorry about that.
Tom
1980 Ski Nautique Boat Bar
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Open Bow
1988 Mastercraft Tristar Closed Bow
1969 Seacamper Houseboat
1986 Harris Pontoon
2004 Seadoo GTX SC + Flydive Xboard
1999 Adventurecraft
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2015 at 9:55am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

+1 on the eraser wheel (5 years later), totally incredible device. I don't know how I missed the fact that multiple people on the board have been using them for years. Here I thought I was somewhat of a pioneer in finding out about them but in fact they are old hat as it turns out! A must for any decal removal effort, if nothing else to have in your back pocket if you get stuck.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

mdvalant View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdvalant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 1:15pm
Which one's a good one? There's some with grooves and some that appear smooth?

Amazon Eraser Wheels

'90 Ski (sold)
'00 Sport
Mississippi River - Bellevue, IA
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 1:56pm
This one looks like what I used.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 2:01pm
I have both and haven't had to use either... yet. When you bring the umbrella it doesn't rain right? The day will come I'm sure (my sun baked original 88 decals). Both tools are cheap, my time is not.
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2015 at 2:32pm
Originally posted by storm34 storm34 wrote:

This one looks like what I used.

+1
Thing is amazing. My '90 is getting new numbers this weekend during it's annual spring detail job. For 2 years I've been running the boat with Georgia registration numbers. Figure it's time to get legal.
What really sucks is that when I registered and retitled it back in 2013, the #$%&@ Secretary of State said they had to take my original Documents of Origination for the boat and the trailer. I'm guessing that not many have those original docs. The lady said that the boat has to be an "antique" for her to allow me to keep the docs. I asked how old is that, with her reply, 25 years. It was one year shy of being classified as an antique. Now, two years later, I'm putting those MC numbers on.   
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

SWANY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 12:07am
Joel or HW, did you buy them local? I've stopped at like 8 different stores looking for one in stock. Home centers and auto suppliers....
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 1:06am
I used Amazon.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 2:47am
I looked around locally but never found any.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 3:28am
While a ways from you guys Auto body toolmart in Elgin shows that they carry them, they are roughly near Randall and 90
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 9:56am
NAPA carries them.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 10:43am
^sometimes, and just because they have a peg to hold one doesn't mean they bother stocking it...
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by seacamper seacamper wrote:

Hey All,

Whats the best way to remove the registration numbers? Heat gun? Scraper? Goo Gone?

Thanks,

Tom

On gel coat a pressure washer and then wipe clean with Acetone then a light buff but dont wax until after new decals are installed.
On paint a heat gun and either DX 330 or DX 440 wax and grease remover or a product that wont wipe the paint like goo gone.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
Builderjeff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Builderjeff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2015 at 1:42pm
A heat gun and hard plastic scraper works for small areas. like a small piece of Plexiglas. You can use acetone to remove the residue, but for large decals or sticky spots I rather use my high speed buffing wheel at 2k RPMs, the same buffer I use to buff the boat. You might need a little compound on the pad, but I doubt it. be careful not to overheat your gel-coat it will turn colors. You can use a bottle of water to cool down the gel-coat while you work if your worried about the heat. good luck to you!
Jeff Warner,
E-Boat Inc. boatbuildercentral.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic