NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another BFN Rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 293031
Author
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2018 at 9:16pm
Ok, Tim, I’m ready to race your boat right now. Will be the only time I’ll win, and have the louder boat!

Can’t wait to see and hear the final product.

Ken
89Nautique2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 1:04pm
Wouldn't it be easier just to wait and find a nice solid original boat? They are never the same after they have been rebuilt IMO. Plus you have way too much time and money in them that you will never get back.
------- They are only original once! ------
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by 89Nautique2001 89Nautique2001 wrote:

Wouldn't it be easier just to wait and find a nice solid original boat? They are never the same after they have been rebuilt IMO. Plus you have way too much time and money in them that you will never get back.

Scott, finding this year/hull/model in "solid" condition would be nearly impossible. Additionally, "solid" is relative term as we all know these boats in "original" condition have some amount of rot.

Having been in this boat several times I have to agree - it's not the same but SO much better.

Not sure he ever mentioned getting his money back or trying to turn a profit. I'd be shocked if this boat wasn't in the Benjamin (or CCFan) family for decades to come.

outerbanked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 2:03pm
Who has time to wait? Once you get that [fiberglass] itch...

Tactile learners get it done!

89Nautique2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 89Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 2:56pm
I am just stating my opinion. I have collected several classic cars, restored and originals. My passion now is the originals, anyone can restore and modernize any car or boat. Sure, they may be better in your opinion, but I like the way an original survivor feels. My investment in survivor cars has really been good to me. I am now getting into survivor boats. i think this market will keep getting stronger too. TRBenj always seems to give his opinion, now I am giving mine. Not saying anyone is right or wrong here.
------- They are only original once! ------
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2018 at 3:39pm
Original boats are sweet. Finding your perfect original BFN especially 85 and older is near impossible.

I have two nice originals, Any boat with wood in it will rot if you ever use it. I fully expect to have to do my 85SN and 90BFN but would like to prolong them as much as possible.

The way we use BFNs they take some abuse. From higher HP engines to races blasting through chop waves etc it is really nice to have the added strength of Coosa and the lack of worry about getting anything wet from that point on.

After a project like this is done the hull of the boat will only need minor upkeep and things like carpet and interior for basically the rest of anyone's life alive at this point in time so it's a pretty great upgrade to any classic CC,

Too bad CC didn't go composite earlier on.
outerbanked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote outerbanked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 1:00am
We can't explain to you why buying something is different from creating it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 8:28am
Originally posted by 89Nautique2001 89Nautique2001 wrote:

I have collected several classic cars, restored and originals. My passion now is the originals, anyone can restore and modernize any car or boat. .

Scott,
For years, ACBS members were concerned with the "restorer" who simply used an old boat as a pattern VS: the restorer who made every attempt to have a boat as close to the way it came from the factory. The concern prompted dividing judging classes into "preserved" and "restored". There are plenty of details for each but here's just the first for the preserved class:

"ACBS defines preserved boats as those containing at least 60% of their original deck and topsides material and is constructed using the same methods and materials as the original. "

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 8:56am
No need for any ACBS talk in this thread, you can move it over here if you’re so inclined. My BFN is certainly not a “restoration”, and was never intended to be. We did a functional rebuild on a boat that needed it badly- and now I use it as intended, often and hard. Original appearance was maintained (save for under the motorbox) as much as practical, but that was never priority #1. ROI was never a consideration, it is not for sale. You can’t buy a boat quite like it at any price, new or used... that’s why it was built.

Quick update while I am here: 500hp 454 bottom end rebuild #2 went the same way as #1 this summer, teardown is imminent and expecting to find another spun rod. Initial diagnosis is low oil level due to all the extra plumbing, it appears the system may require almost 5qts over the original capacity, much more than I expected. The very quick drain back gave me false high readings on the stick. Lesson learned (finally).

The (stock) backup engine went in shortly after in early Aug, and we ran out the season that way. Boat pulled reasonably well at the Bucket, giving us a tick over 47 on our feet with a full race load. 51-53 unloaded depending on prop. A top end upgrade at the end of the season now has it running over 56 (53 with a skier). That should get me by for now. Hope to keep skiing through Thanksgiving.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 9:14am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

No need for any ACBS talk in this thread,

Tim,
Why not? Are you against Scott's comment in this thread?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 9:35am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

No need for any ACBS talk in this thread,

Tim,
Why not? Are you against Scott's comment in this thread?

I think Tim meant to say "No need for any ACBS talk in this forum"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 9:37am
It certainly has no relevance here! Maybe the off topic section?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 9:37am
Finding that perfect survivor is great, if you can find one, but then you want to pamper it and not fully use it for what it was intended for.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 9:45am

It certainly has no relevance here! Maybe the off topic section?

Tim,
I PM'd Scott to let him know you are now moderating the site.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 10:18am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

Finding that perfect survivor is great, if you can find one, but then you want to pamper it and not fully use it for what it was intended for.

Yep, except boats are much more friendly to intended usage as opposed to a survivor car. The 85 is probably structure and gel wise one of the nicer "survivor" 2001s out there and I use the crap out of it. I think I did around 100 hours this season on it.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 10:29am
Barefooting seems harder on a boat than skiing, especially when you have 6 people in the boat frantically changing skiers and focusing on getting to the 38 mile finish line. I got to think a beautiful survivor is not going to hold up well to that.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 10:50am
Geez you guys...Get off Tim's back. Anyone who knows Tim, knows he has a fleet of ACBS boats that are show room condition that could easily qualify and win at an ACBS event. Anyone who knows Tim knows that he is all about speed, boating, skiing but mostly Barefooting. He's the Prop Guru and how many times have we all sought his knowledge of props for which set up for which CC we own. Tim is one of few guys who'll travel across the eastern US to hang out with fellow CCFans because of a love, and passion for the sport and CC's which is a hellava lot more than a lot of you and he lives in the Northeast corner of the US! This Barefooter is a tractor for pulling footers PERIOD. END of STORY!!!!! It's a beast and if you've ridin in it then it's a thrill of a lifetime. It's not OEM, It's not the prettiest of the Benjamin fleet but it's well known who owns it and it's history. Hell, if he could slap a turbine engine in there and have room for six guys then who gives a rats @$$...I for one would help him do it as I've helped him install an upgraded motor in his another of his Classic CC's. It's his boat, one of his pride and joys and a modified toy on the water. That's the joy of the darn thing as for him and for many it's just flat out fun tinkering and modifying it to perform like HE wants it. It's a guy thing and boys will be boys especially when it comes to their toys. Cut him some slack for Pete's sake!
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 11:03am
Originally posted by Morfoot Morfoot wrote:

Geez you guys...Get off Tim's back. Anyone who knows Tim, knows he has a fleet of ACBS boats that are show room condition that could easily qualify and win at an ACBS event.

Tim,
I totally agree.

There are many here that can also fit the category of "preserved" or "restored".. Any boat built earlier than 1994 will fit into a ACBS category. I wonder just how many pre 1994 boats are here on CCfan? Lots!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 11:57am
Stop feeding the trolls...   
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 12:44pm
Uptick in senseless posting tells me it must be getting cold out
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 12:45pm
Do you pour the antifreeze or suck it in?
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2018 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Uptick in senseless posting tells me it must be getting cold out

Any ice on the lake down by you, They said it hit the uppers 20's last night, brrrr - could hardly move the neck it was so stiff - hate this time of year
Brit_hunsicker View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brit_hunsicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2019 at 2:03am
Wow I am impressed! It’s taken me just short of 2 weeks to make it through this thread. I’ve been on CCF a few times just looking at a thread that may have pertained to something I was doing at the time, but this is the first thread I’ve dug into since creating an account a few weeks ago. Did I start with one of the five longest threads on this site?? Lots of valuable information and pictures in this resto. Thanks for taking the time to document all of it. The suspense had been killing me to see what the top speed was going to be but I never let myself skip all the leg work to find out. I stuck it out through all 31 pages and even popped some popcorn for the heated arguments with 79 (kinda funny I was getting worked up about a conversation that took place 10 years ago )

I’m positive I read maybe 8 pages and 9 years ago that someone made a comment about this boat pulling the World Series winning Cubs team on a tube run around the lake...so now that the Cubbies finally won a cup it would only be right for that to actually happen. I mean it was only 98 years in the making!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2019 at 7:13pm
I guess Cubs fans would be allowed, but definitely no tubes!

We made it to thanksgiving, temps were 26/31.

Oh and johnB wins for the longest project... though this thread is pretty lengthy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 293031
  Share Topic