NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

BFN prop clearance improvement

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 12:33pm
Seems like the rotary file may be a better fit for the material (it says it works for fiberglass) but not for the tool... 2500rpm max speed must be for a drill? My router's range is 8000-25000rpm. I may have to go with router bits like Pete suggested.

Pete, the 5200 I had filling the recess around the edges of the strut and rudder did not hold up well. At least half of it was gone after just a few years. I will add some small radiuses to allow for fitment and stress reduction but I plan to make this recess as tight as I possibly can. Smoothing the flow of water in this area of the hull can only help things, especially at the uncharacteristic speeds this boat is capable of.

Oh, and thanks Eddie. I guess the fear of breaking something is significantly reduced when you feel like you can probably fix it afterwards.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-25-2016 at 12:45pm
i keep thinking this is a banana boat   
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 4:29am
I finally got the notch reasonably flat, so I commenced grinding out a few small problem areas. I opened up a few voids and tackled an area of disbonded glass on the stbd side.

The disbonded layers actually continued further than I was willing to grind- I got it to the point where it felt semi-solid and then cut a groove along the disbonded seam. This groove got filled with thickened resin and then the span was glassed with 3 layers. I filled a little more on top of that. It'll take more filling and shaping (as will a few other voids I filled) but it should be solid now.

In this pic, you can see towards the front of the notch where the material that was removed extends all the way through the original hull glass and into the new (epoxy based) layers that were added to the inside of the hull.

Once I have the hull back in shape and smoothed out, it'll be time to cut the rudder port recess.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 2:41pm
I went digging through some old pics and think I found evidence of the delam I encountered on the underside.

Wish I had dug a little deeper back then!

This shows where we built up the inside of the hull to accommodate the notch:
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 2:44pm
Eh, there's delam all over these old boats. If you tried to grind it all out you'd be left with swiss cheese.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 2:53pm
True, you may not be able to address it all... But in this particular area where we knew there was a good chance we'd be grinding on it again, I wish we had done a little more from the top side when we had the chance. The logistics of adressing it from underneath are kinda sucky.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 3:52pm
Nice work Tim, had to be fun grinding over head. Good for building biceps!! Are you planning on spotting in the gel coat or more extensive?
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 4:51pm
Short term (for this coming season), no gel work planned... It'll be run bare for evaluation purposes. That will make any required tweaks easier. I also have a few other hull mods planned, so once I'm happy with the way it runs, I can hit them all with gel at the same time. It might be a while, ha.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 5:06pm
raw dog
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2016 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

raw dog

"Rat Nautique"

If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 7:37pm
Slow but steady progress on this project... Lots of iterative filling and sanding, and epoxy dries slowly in the winter.

I finally got to the point where I was happy with the keel shape.

Today I made a jig for the rudder port recess and gave it a test cut. I think it's ready for prime time.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2016 at 11:01pm
Apparently dull router bits still cut wood just fine... But they don't cut fiberglass worth for sht. Struggled for a while then sprung for new bits once I broke the first... Night and day difference. New bits made short work of the recess.

I filled a few voids found after cutting as well as the holes left by the jig... One more finish sanding and I hope to be done. I plan to leave the keel bare (glass) for the summer while I verify performance... But I am debating throwing some gel under the port. Any thoughts/comments on that?
JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2016 at 11:38pm
I think you should gel under and around the port now. Even if you decide to make more modifications to the area later, removing the sealing/bedding compound (4200?) from the raw fiberglass would be a nightmare! Then would the gel stick? At least if you get some smoothish gel in there now cleanup of that bedding compound would be easier and not risking an adhesion problem later. If you decide on more mods.

Old school goin back to school!
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2016 at 11:57pm
Got any gel? You'd hate to buy some for that small use. Maybe get some from spectrum in that little 2oz container in as close of color as you can get and just brush it on.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 12:41am
That was my thinking john... I don't plan to buff the gel out or anything though. Not sure if rough-ish gel will be any better or worse than (relatively smooth) bare glass. Definitely only using a sealant this time (4200 or boatlife caulk) and not a strong adhesive (5200, etc).

I have some gel in dads basement Gary... It's a few years old but I suspect it's fine based on your experience. Definitely just brushing.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2016 at 6:42pm
Looking great Tim.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2016 at 10:01am
Another round of filling/smoothing done and I put some gel in the recess. The 2-3 yr old (unopened gel) separated and I couldn't get it reconstituted.... But the 5 yr old stuff that I had tinted for the seat pedestal and stored in a sports water bottle seemed a little better. It had thickened significantly but some thinning with acetone made it workable again. Added more wax (couldn't remember if I had added any when it was mixed), and went for it. We'll see if it sets up.

JDD33 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JDD33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2016 at 10:41am
Looks good Tim! Will it be ready for next weekend?
Old school goin back to school!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2016 at 10:50am
Ha, no. This is one of many projects this spring. Aiming for 4th of July.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2016 at 8:34am
The engine rebuild and other projects derailed the bfn's return to the water this summer but things are still moving forward. The gel got an extended time to cure (jury is still out on the gel integrity) but we buttoned up the port and rudder install a few weeks ago. This project can be checked off the list... For now.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2016 at 8:51am
Is that clamp support from a Malibu?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2016 at 8:56am
Heck no.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2016 at 9:03am
I've not noticed that a BFN is clamped at the strut, but that is how Malibu does it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2016 at 9:10am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I've not noticed that a BFN is clamped at the strut, but that is how Malibu does it.

Bruce,
Malibu copied the method from CC!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2016 at 9:16am
Ha, when did CC start doing it that way?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2016 at 10:56am

You're not crazy though Bruce the [DD] BFN always had it bolted through the stringer like old CCs.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2016 at 10:37am
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

You're not crazy though Bruce the [DD] BFN always had it bolted through the stringer like old CCs.

That would be the year they went to single exhaust and they must have put the exhaust in the bilge? That is why Malibu has always done it that way. No room to attach to stringer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic