Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Holley carb intake is leaking

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holley carb intake is leaking
    Posted: March-05-2008 at 10:07pm
I had my carb rebuilt last year, and put it back on it and the boat ran great. But I notice now that where the fuel line connects to the carb, it leaks right there onto the manifold. Not a lot, but enough to worry. Is there a reason that it would leak? or should i just try and tighten it up as much as I can?
Thanks!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2008 at 10:30pm
Teflon tape?
Tim D
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2008 at 10:42pm
I have heard that Teflon tape is not good for use on fuel lines.

Roger
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-05-2008 at 11:09pm
That should be a flair fitting, this seals the fuel. The teflon should NEVER, and I state again never be used on a flair. There is a problem inside, putting tape on the outside is a half assed way to repair.
There is a chance for a fire and or explosion.Remove the fitting and repair or replace ....Fires are not nice to boats...................Boat dr
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 12:19am
I was refering to thread on thread connection.
Tim D
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 12:42am
This is what I was referring to.

Per this Holly site.... it is not recommended
on any inlet fuel line fitting.

http://www.holley.com/data/Products/Technical/199R9827.pdf
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:10am
It could be the flair line, just not sure. It seems like it could be the fitting onto the carb. The flare line though, I would have to replace the hole thing right from the fuel filter below?

It's a 92' pcm
thanks!

Or is it the actual fitting on the carb?   kind of odd to me.   hate to chase my tail on this.
thanks!
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:26am
Holly? like holly tree?
Tim D
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:27am
Finding the point of the leak can be as difficult as the fix.

I have been known to clean the area around the fittings and then used a piece of toilet paper to wrap the fitting areas.
Then pressurize the system by turning over the engine. Then check the toilet paper to identify the area of the leak.
You can also disconnect the fuel line where is it convenient and then use a compressor to pressurize the line with 12-15 psi. Then use soapy water around the fittings to locate the leak.

Just my 2 cents...

Sorry Tim, should have proof read.

Roger
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:33am
Just pickin' at ya.
Tim D
critter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote critter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:39am
I like that smiley.
I saved it for later use.

Roger
1980 Ski Nautique
1966 Barracuda
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 1:44am
Here's another one that works very certain things.
Tim D
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-06-2008 at 7:49am
Tommer, The point where the gas line enters the carb has two spots that may leak. The flare adapter has straight threads and a fiber sealing washer under it. It screws into the carb and is one potential leak. The other is the female flare in this adapter and is the second point that can leak. It is a very tight area it get a wrench into. Flare nut wrenches and removing the throttle cable/linkage will give you more room. I suspect it is the adapter thread with the fiber washer that is leaking and not the flare. Do NOT use Teflon tape! Teflon is made for taper pipe threads and not flares, straight threads or compression fittings. Loosen the flare at the fuel line and see if you can tighten the adapter. Check the fuel line to see if it is bent properly so the flare nut can be run in by hand (important) and then tightened by wrench. I had a issue with this on my Tique. I feel the PO had put a wedge under the carb and didn't bend the steel fuel line properly. This caused the adapter to loosen under vibration because the fuel line was deformed and unscrewing the adapter. I actually ended up replacing the steel line from the pump to the carb!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
85sn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85sn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-09-2008 at 8:02pm
My 85 ski nautique was doin the same this last year i put a new fuel line on it and it fixed the problem.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 9:18pm
I was doing the pre spring/summer maint. stuff this weekend and noticed i have the same fuel leak where the gas line enters the carb. My CC dealer gave me a couple metal washers for the fix. I think the only reason he "gave" them to me is because previously they sold me the wrong steering cable and i didnt find out til it was threaded thru the hull and wouldnt bolt up at the helm.
BTW there is almost no room for a wrench on those fuel connections. The throttle linkage and i think its an acc pump is right in the way!
2008 Season kickstarts this weekend with the Annual Chili cook-off, gotta be ready!
I'd rather have a drink on the rocks in the boat than have a boat on the rocks in the drink. Been there, done that, no bueno.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-11-2008 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Darrel Darrel wrote:

BTW there is almost no room for a wrench on those fuel connections.

Yes, that's why I mentioned the flare nut wrenches.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 3:03pm
So what it make sense to get a new fuel line from ski dim, or a washer? I can try and tighted up the night that is on the carb, but I dont want ruin it by tighten it too much. (not sure if that makes sense)
No Teflon, go that, I wouldnt do that anyways
Felt washer?

Thanks guys for your help!!

Originally posted by Darrel Darrel wrote:

I was doing the pre spring/summer maint. stuff this weekend and noticed i have the same fuel leak where the gas line enters the carb. My CC dealer gave me a couple metal washers for the fix. I think the only reason he "gave" them to me is because previously they sold me the wrong steering cable and i didnt find out til it was threaded thru the hull and wouldnt bolt up at the helm.
BTW there is almost no room for a wrench on those fuel connections. The throttle linkage and i think its an acc pump is right in the way!
2008 Season kickstarts this weekend with the Annual Chili cook-off, gotta be ready!
tommer12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tommer12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 3:05pm
I just saw this on SkiDim. I could be missing this or could it need replacing?
http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RN0032
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 3:52pm
Tommer, Check to make sure the fuel line is bent correctly like I mentioned first. If it is OK, then go for the washer. A new steel fuel line would be next but it to may need some minor adjusting/bending. You will need a good tubing bender to do this. The alternate is the USCG approved rubber line with the fittings but recall it wasn't that cheap.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 4:01pm
I got it done last night. I didnt actually know what a flare nut wrench was, had to google...thanks for the education Pete. I can see how that would have been the correct tool.
I had to go ghetto, got a vice grip on the carb fitting to secure it and not twist the metal fuel line. After the flare fitting broke free it was an easy fix. Screen was clear and everything tightened up smoothly. Not sure if my washer was the actual culprit, my flare fitting and the carb bowl fitting had some play in them.
tommer, that looks like the washer i replaced. You should be able to see the thin washer between the carb and the carb bowl fitting. You are going to need to determine the location of your leak, sometimes taking it apart and putting it back together correctly will do the trick. Petes detailed answer is spot on. critters toilet paper idea may give you the location to attack.
I'd rather have a drink on the rocks in the boat than have a boat on the rocks in the drink. Been there, done that, no bueno.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-12-2008 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The alternate is the USCG approved rubber line with the fittings but recall it wasn't that cheap.

Or you can bend your own fuel line using 3/8" brake line (under $10 from an autoparts store, comes with both fittings). Both the required bender and double flare tools should be available there as well (either to rent or buy).

I doubt its the line thats leaking, though. More likely, the fuel line to carb connection is:
a) not tight enough
b) missing the washer
c) leaking because the threads are stripped on the fuel bowl
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic