NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Weeding the Pumpkin patch

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 24>
Author
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weeding the Pumpkin patch
    Posted: February-02-2008 at 2:09am
Here's where I'm starting. Does anyone have any tips on removing the floor gently. I'm concerned about breaking the outside edges loose from the hull because they aren't loose?!!? Only loose on the inside.

This part is solid, but yall know me by now...
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 12:19pm
take measurements of everything you can, including the battery box, the old floor will act as a guide for the new, a sawzall to me seems to be the easiest, a skil saw set at the proper depth will also help along, the floor youi see is glass over foam and some wood strips
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 12:30pm
Eric, that probably makes sense to someone who's done it before, but could you be more specific for me? I'm kinda 'slow' too! LOL

What I'm asking is how to separate the floor edges from the inside of the hull without damaging the hull. I can see me sticking a sawzall in there and ending up with half the boat I had before.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 12:46pm
use a long blade right against the hull, you wont cut in, dont clean that edge though because you need a guide for the new floor, your a glutton for punishment, wear long sleeves and duct tape the sleeves, your gonna think you gotta bad case of the crabs, its probably not a good idea to cut the air box out up front, cut right to it then determine if you need to do work to it, there is a lot of vent pipes and drains in that area,plus the battery cables,
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

use a long blade right against the hull, you wont cut in,

Greg, Just to clarify, the sawsall blade will flex and follow the hull side. It is a scary process because it is only the "feel" or resistance in cutting that guides you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 1:49pm
If it was me I would use a circular saw with a blade depth of about 3/8" deep and run it about 2"-3" away from the outside edge all the way down. It will take maybe 15 minutes that way or you an hour or more with the sawzall.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 1:50pm
Hey Chris: Did you see the message I sent ya last nite on a post?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 1:57pm
On my 71 nautique I did, I used the circular saw like 79 said.
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 2:02pm
my tool of choice for this operation is a 036 stihl, sledge hammer and pick lol, contrary to using the skil saw, it leaves a jagged cut and that means you have to grind some more, and once you start itchin them nuts you say...i shouldve made a nice clean cut with the sawzall, they both are effective, it just depends on how much grinding you want to do
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 4:46pm
Hammers and chainsaws aside...it still sounds more brutal than I'm up for?!!? I can get a good flex from grabbing the inside of the floor...if I make a relief cut, will it snap off?
1988 BFN-sold

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 5:08pm

my tool of choice for this operation is a 036 stihl,

And look at the results!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2008 at 9:53pm
buffalo, it is a job you soon will not forget, it really doesnt tear or snap off, the glass strands prevent this and i know if you can build a BBC, you can tackle this job, it is messy it is itchy but when your finished you will have the sense of a great acomplishment, what im really trying to say is better you than me
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 9:11am
Eric, if you were giving the halftime pep talk the team would stay in the locker room?!!? LOL I spent some time under the boat a few years ago working on the strut mount area, and I know all about itchy and scratchy. Slash(hasbeen), you do nice work and you clearly knew where to start from your pics...gonna help a buffalo accross the street?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 12:00pm
I'll sit on the bench and watch
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 12:22pm

I'll sit on the bench and watch

A wise old man warned me about kibitzers...

From wiki: (intransitive) To give unwanted advice or make unhelpful or idle comments, especially to someone playing a game. [or trying to fix an old CC]

Eric, please don't take that the wrong way...pack youself an overniter and show me! I'll sit on the bench and kibitz?!!? And to show you that my heart is in the right place, we'll let Amy do the cooking.
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 12:27pm
would that be southern cooking? i have a ton of pics from 87's that i was just looking at, if i could figure out how to get them to you i will e-mail them to help you along. you know you can also call anytime, post your e-mail and i'll have the better half send them
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 12:59pm
Hi Eric,

It's Amy(aka Ms. Buffalo), from where I come from in central Kentucky (Lexington), we were "fence sitters"/a border state so I can cook either way. Just let me know what your favorite is, when you'll be here, and I'm sure it will be among the best you've ever had...can you tell I love to cook, especially for friends?.?.

Ms. Buffalo,
(Mrs. Buffalo after we return from Jamaica this spring!...looking forward to getting married on the beach.)

P.S. I've followed this site so much and having been raised on the Kentucky River (Clays Ferry) we even had Christmas on our houseboat growing up, learned to ski at 6 or 7 jumping over or plowing through big houseboat/cruiser wakes, then learned to barefoot here on Lanier in my 20's. Now it's Greg's turn to teach me to wakeboard!!!

Guys, I think I need my own "handle" for this site, any suggestions?

1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 1:01pm
chicken paprikash? we wouldnt want your handle to be Buffalo, how about gazelle?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 1:16pm

chicken paprikash? we wouldnt want your handle to be Buffalo, how about gazelle?

LOL Thanks...I think?!!? I was thinking something like SouthernClassic. She is a classy gal and our new 63 classic is for her. I'll ask her when she gets back from the store...she's getting pork knees and oppossum jowels for the superbowl!

ROFL
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 1:21pm
I never did see a pic of you, pork knees and oppossum ...are you .....
impossible, not water lovers
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 1:22pm
Eric, BuffaloBFN=millman1@bellsouth.net

I think it's a good thing you have a 'better half' to look after you! Lord help us otherwise?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2008 at 1:31pm
the better half is from the politically correct generation, (she's younger than me) she scolds me alot..
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 2:12am
You probably need all the scolding you can get.

Greg; Got your message...did not want to bother you Sunday afternoon or during the game. Just got home from watching it at my sister's. Will talk to you tomorrow evening.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 10:51am
Ms Buffalo,
Clays Ferry is my old stomping ground as well. Learned to ski on the KY River (did quite a bit of drinking there as well). Had friends with a houseboat that they kept just down from Boonesboro park. The memories of Admirals Day weekends!
Greg

86 BFN
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 11:37am
Greg, looks like we're almost family. LOL When are you going to be up for dinner? I'm sure a southern guy like you is due for the knees and jowels?!!?
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 11:40am
Originally posted by jbear jbear wrote:

Greg; Got your message...did not want to bother you Sunday afternoon or during the game. Just got home from watching it at my sister's. Will talk to you tomorrow evening.

John, I'm usually early to bed and early to rise...before 7pm would be best if that works for you. And I'm lookng forward to talking with another CCFan legend!   
1988 BFN-sold

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 2:03pm
Amy said 'tell skicat that I’m a former Admiral’s Day Queen (the black and white pic in our bedroom is from that day) and a certified Kentucky Admiral.

After the Clays Ferry Boat Dock closed we moved our boats to Riverview Marina which is probably where he is talking about just down river from the park. Dad’s friends owned the Riverview Marina until about 2 years ago. Had a really cool restaurant and bar called the “Boathouse” with live music on the water right across from a huge limestone cliff and it made for some really cool acoustics.

Ask him if he ever went to Lake Cumberland, Herrington or Cave Run. Dad and Dee used to own a house at Cumberland down around Mill Springs/Monticello area.'

1988 BFN-sold

skicat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skicat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2008 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

Amy said 'tell skicat that I’m a former Admiral’s Day Queen (the black and white pic in our bedroom is from that day) and a certified Kentucky Admiral.

I have a few pictures of those Admiral Day queens myself!

I was up that way back in the fall. We went to an EKU football game & went to Halls on the river to eat afterwards.
All of my younger foolish boating days were spent on the river or on Cave Run.
Greg

86 BFN
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2008 at 3:49am
Greg: Just saw this message...I also e-mailed you. Before 7 it is then, tuesday evening.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-06-2008 at 10:23pm
Has anyone used a Roto Zip with or without the zipsaw attachment for floor removal?
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 24>
  Share Topic