Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1965 Mustang

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
watermanres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watermanres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1965 Mustang
    Posted: October-24-2007 at 11:53pm
Hello,

I'm on the market for my first classic ski boat and on my way to check out a 1965 Mustang, supposedly in use all season this year. Any thoughts on a checklist for this boat? I know the obvious things to look for, such as rusty coolers, evidence of water in the hull, bad wiring, rotten decks, rotten floors, etc. Supposedly its been repowered with some sort of six cyl. and there is a gray 327 also available. Maybe someone could point me in the direction of a page to identify the different trans. I might find when i look in the box, maybe with the pros and cons of each? The seller is asking 1800 obo, but I'd rather not go through the trouble of a complete repower in the first year. I will post pics when i get them via email tommorrow.

mike
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 12:32am
Here is a good posting on what to look for . Look under david f   post.

check list
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watermanres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 11:09am
thanks pat, thats a big help

mike
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 11:24am
Mike, You mentioned a different trans. Fill me in. Does the 6 have a manual or is it a older hydraulic? What's on the Gray V8?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watermanres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 12:00pm
still haven't recieved the pics from seller.. will post the pics when i get them...i assume that because the repower is a ford and the other is an AMC gray 327 the boat will probably have some sort of mod on it. might still be the old BW or might be some other... Any info on this ford inline six? I know the old 300 a little bit from ford trucks, was this marinized and used in these boats? thanks in advance for any info..

mike
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 12:15pm
Mike, Welcome to the site,   Watermanres...would that be the one in Rhode Island?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 12:34pm
J, The Ford 6's that Interceptor was maninizing in the mid 60's would be the 144, 170 and the 221 CI. They all could of had a mechanical Paragon or a hydraulic BW, Dearbomatic or even a early Paragon. Hard to say without a year or some ID numbers. All were basicly good trans's. Some parts may be hard to find but they are rebuildable. Our site trans expert (it's his line of work) Eric is about to take a look at one of our members Dearbomatic. I would say the Gray 327 will have a Velvet on it unless it is a early flywheel forward. Get the pictures up so we all can take a look.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watermanres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 3:06pm
Alan,

Yes, waterman lake/res. in Chepatchet, RI. Are you in RI as well?

Pete,

Thats good to hear that they are all basically servicable. I have used both paragon and borg trans in other applications, but never in a ratio like one to one. I guess all the same checks would apply, ie. fluid color/texture, condition of hoses, leaks, smoothness of shift, funny noises, etc. How about stuffing boxes and cutless bearings? Rudderstock thruhull? of course I will check for water damage to stringers and floors in this area, but if there is is the gland repackable/rebuildable? thanks for the advice..

mike
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-25-2007 at 3:30pm
Mike, you have mentioned parts that are very sevicable except the wood stringers. They too are sevicable but more involved. Lots here on the site have gone through the replacement and there are some great threads on it. Don't limit youself to one "area" when looking for rot. It can be any place. If it has never been done on a 65, I'll bet you will find some unless the boat has never seen water! Just warning you. The Gray V8 may not be a original engine because 65 or 66 is about the time they went under. I can't remember the exact year.

Yes, I'm sorry that I didn't welcome you to a fantastic site. Lots of good people with plenty of knowledge. Welcome!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2007 at 7:51pm
Mike, have you heard anything back from the seller? He hasnt responded to my email.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watermanres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 12:43am
Me neither, I suspect that the boat has sold. Oh well, the search continues. Thanks to all for the good tips....

Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watermanres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2007 at 9:34pm
Tim,

Got a callback today regarding this boat. I think its the one in Milford thats for sale in the diaries, last update in July. Owner says that he took the carb off to have it rebuilt, suspects the accelerator pump is going. I wouldn't know except that its not quite right. If its this boat it probably not a repower as originally thought. Any thoughts on carbs from interceptor sixes?

thanks
Mike

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watermanres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 2:16pm
OK, Lesson Learned......
If it sounds too good....

First the good parts.
1. has title, key in some states
2. original trailer in good/fair shape
3. steering gear seems straight.

the bad..
1. crummy repaint, many sags
2. crazy homegrown repower, jeep gas pedals integrated into engine mounts!!!
3. above doesn't really matter, as one of the freeze plugs came out in my hand...
4. no easy way to ascertain which gear is in the boat, as all markings hsve been ground off and I've never seen this particular type before, not BW or Paragon as far as i can tell. no obvious way to check fluid.
5. deck punky around perimeter, would need to be replaced, stringers completely glassed in over bolts.
here are the pics:

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 2:35pm
Mike, It's a later Paragon trans.(the last of the mechanicals) From what you have described, I would walk on this one unless you want to spend lots of time and money on a proper restoral. The winshield isn't even correct but I did notice that in the diary. Now you may not even have to worry about the carb!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote watermanres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 2:59pm
Pete,
Yeah i already decided to walk away from this one. As always, if it sounds to good, it probably is. Some one with more time and energy will have to attempt this restore. Any idea what this engine is? It looks to me to be the same as this 54 skier

thanks for all the great advice
Mike
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-29-2007 at 3:12pm
The 140, 170 and 221 were all based off the same block and it may be any one of those. It sure looks like the same, but without any numbers on the engine it's hard to say. There are so many non original things on the boat(the engine is the biggest) that it really is hard to say. The only thing for sure is the 90 degree elbow and side draft carb have been replaced with the down draft.

Edit: Mike, FYI just in case you run into another Paragon mechanical. I just noticed you mentioned there wasn't a place to check the fluid. They ran engine oil and it is integral to the engine oil sump. In fact, if you want to do a real good oil change on them, you remove the inspection cover from the trans and suck a extra quart out!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
georgie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2008 at 8:09pm
YES,she needs alittle work and theres a few things that are mickey moused,but still presentable.i'm not saying this would be the way to go if your doiing a full restoration,it's not,but for the $1200 ipaid for it ,its's all worth it.she's in the water and we love it.i was so glad to hear the forum and the info all of you had.the previus owner was of no help.i'm sure after a long boring winter she'll look a little better. thanks again

p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-16-2008 at 1:16am
So the way I understand it is that you bought the above orange boat ?
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
georgie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote georgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 9:37am
yup!!
p/allen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p/allen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2008 at 5:47pm
Cograts Welcome to the site. I hope you have many seasons of fun with her.
Pat
My 72 Skier
Rock River
Dixon,ILL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic