NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing a steering cable 95’ Nautique

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
aokcaldwell View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing a steering cable 95’ Nautique
    Posted: October-11-2007 at 10:09pm
I have a 1995 Ski Nautique and the boat steers really hard. Has anyone replaced their own steering cable and do you have any tips or suggestions on how to do it? Also, I was told to replace the head end while I was at it? i.e. Buy the steering kit not just the cable.

Thanks,

AC.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-11-2007 at 11:34pm

I don't know if yours is the same as the cable in my 1977 mustang but mine was very easy to do.
If you call Southeast correct craft and ask for woody(although I talked to someone else and had no problem) he will be able to get you the right one. Skidim sells them a little cheaper and I'm sure they know what you need also.Don't forget the CCFan discount.
                               Farmer
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 12:28am
Thanks Farmer. I also hope to speak to someone out there that has replaced the steering cable on their own 95 Ski Nautique. I will call Woody and appreciate the heads up on CCFan discount. I had no idea. Rookies!

AOK.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 2:35am
I got mine at White Lake Marine.

Here you go:

Steering cable at White lake click here

$169.00
Use coupon code "PND" for a 10% discount. (thanks Planet Nautique)

Tip- tie a rope or clotheslinemto the end of the old steering cable (probably the end at the helm...) then, when you get the new one you can tie the rope to it and pull it through. Also good to have a buddy to help.

Whatever you do make sure you get the right cable!! don't try to cut corners with a generic, the CC cable are an odd size and you need the exact right length or you will have big problems.

Welcome to the site!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 2:42am
BTW
I don't see any reason to replace the head end. if yours is the same as mine, it is a rack and pinion system and is all part of the cable. the helm end is just a wheel with teeth. you may want to make sure everything is tight though.

someone else can probably offer more/better input.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 11:27am
Originally posted by Randy_in_Ohio Randy_in_Ohio wrote:

BTW
I don't see any reason to replace the head end. if yours is the same as mine, it is a rack and pinion system and is all part of the cable. the helm end is just a wheel with teeth. you may want to make sure everything is tight though.

aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 11:29am
Thanks Randy any input I receive is helpful. This is my first inboard. I just bought it in OH.

AOK.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 11:29am

BTW

aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 11:53am

I got mine at White Lake Marine.

Here you go:

Steering cable at White lake click here

$169.00
Use coupon code "PND" for a 10% discount. (thanks Planet Nautique)

Tip- tie a rope or clotheslinemto the end of the old steering cable (probably the end at the helm...) then, when you get the new one you can tie the rope to it and pull it through. Also good to have a buddy to help.

Whatever you do make sure you get the right cable!! don't try to cut corners with a generic, the CC cable are an odd size and you need the exact right length or you will have big problems.

Welcome to the site!

This is the way to go- get the cable from White Lake. SkiDIM does not sell cables for Correct Crafts. CC uses oddball length increments and longer throws. Stick to a genuine cable.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 12:49pm
I will definitely use a OEM CC cable and will have a second set of hands available. I am to remove the old cable from the helm, attach the new cable to old cable and pull it back. Anything else that comes to mind would be great. Sorry about the quotes, I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing.

Thanks Randy and Poobah.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by aokcaldwell aokcaldwell wrote:

I am to remove the old cable from the helm, attach the new cable to old cable and pull it back.

While this may work, you may find it easier to tie a rope to the old cable like Randy mentioned. Trying to remove the old cable and pull the new one through in one shot may prove difficult.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 12:56pm
I wouldn't tie the old cable to the new. I would tie a piece of rope to the old cable, and pull the cable out. Then tie the rope to the new cable and use it to pull the new cable through in the opposite direction.

You will need to remove the back seat to get access to the cable where it attaches to your rudder. You may possibly need to remove the gas tank as well. I'm not familiar with your particular boat. BKH
Livin' the Dream

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by bkhallpass bkhallpass wrote:

You will need to remove the back seat to get access to the cable where it attaches to your rudder. You may possibly need to remove the gas tank as well.

Correct- he'll have to pull the rear seat. He wont have to take out the gas tank.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 4:09pm
Thanks Poobah,

Glad the tank is empty!

AOK.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-12-2007 at 8:40pm

TRBenj. the cables sure look like mine in ski dim cat.my bad, but like I said mine came from CC. Also, my cable came with a nut that screwed onto the helm and the cable then snapped into the nut. The cable fed through the bilge and up the pvc tube easily without the nut in there to get hung up on things. Just tape the plastic tube (that comes on the exposed inner cable )to the outer part and it works out good.

Farmer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2007 at 3:43pm
You will have to remove the back seat but you shouldn't have to remove the gas tank. the rope insures that you get it routed the right way, if it is not routed the right way it may cause the through to be off, and the rope make it easier to pull the cable through.

I pulled my old cable out with the rope attached and then left the rope in while I waited on delivery of the new cable. When the new cable arrived i was able to simply tie the rope to the new cable and pull it through while my buddy helped guide it. took less than an hour and pretty simple.

Oh yea, once you get your new cable in, don't forget to go out and turn the wheel back and forth a couple time during layup to help prevent it from freezing up.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-13-2007 at 4:06pm
Thanks. I am going to order the cable next week and remove the old one once the new one comes in. I assume there is no trick to attach it at the helm and the rudder.

AC.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2007 at 1:17pm
No tricks, pretty easy job. Just make sure to take care that everything is good and tight and installed correctly.

I had some loose screws at the helm also, so you may want to check that everything is tight up there also...

If your steering isn't right it could be a major safety issue!! so, take your time and double check to make sure everything is done right.
Darrel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darrel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-17-2007 at 5:16pm
95's are notorious for stiff steering, I put a zerk fitting on the rudderbox and its worked much better with a little grease.
I'd rather have a drink on the rocks in the boat than have a boat on the rocks in the drink. Been there, done that, no bueno.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 12:41am
When I try to remove the large threaded bolt on the old cable at the stern the housing just spins inside the clamp. Is it clockwise or counterclockwise? Can I use visegrips?

AC.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 1:05am
Lefty loosey....Righty tighty
Channel Locks would be my tool of choice.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 10:58am
Thought it might have been reverse thread. Thanks. Used channel locks. Found that CC stripped the housing the cable fits into and secures at the stern;starboard side. I'll call Woody and get a new one. Other than that no problems. This is a do it your selfer. The dealers around here (Northern IN) get about $575 to $625 installed!

While the center floor is out, is there any maintenance to the rudder?

AC.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by aokcaldwell aokcaldwell wrote:

While the center floor is out, is there any maintenance to the rudder?

Might be a good opportunity to change the packing while youre in there. Not sure of the size used in '95- might want to call Woody on that one. My '90 took 5/16" for both driveshaft and rudder.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aokcaldwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 1:44pm
Thanks, I'll look at it while it's apart!

AC.
aok142
1999 NSS
GT40 Pro Boss
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Channel Locks would be my tool of choice.

Channel Locks: Or depending on how old you are and what part of the country you live in, you may call them "water pump pliers"!! Right Doc!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 2:19pm
Did not want to "throw him a curve" with the phrase "WATER PUMP PLIERS"
Adjustable slip joint pliers, I think, is the proper term.
But the term is not the point..........
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 2:50pm
RIB joint 'doc!
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 3:21pm
For anyone who hasn't made a donation to the site, I think the Boat Dr. has a nice solution for those cumbersome pliers!

The Boat Dr's Drivetrain Wrench
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by BuffaloBFN BuffaloBFN wrote:

For anyone who hasn't made a donation to the site, I think the Boat Dr. has a nice solution for those cumbersome pliers!

The Boat Dr's Drivetrain Wrench

Just to clarify, the Doc's wrenches are for the packing nuts, not the steering cable nuts.
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-24-2007 at 5:57pm
I stand corrected, thanks TRB. Guess I was caught up in the promo. It's a cool thing Billy did.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic