Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1981 Nautique Graphics

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
TrentRivrRat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrentRivrRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1981 Nautique Graphics
    Posted: September-07-2007 at 2:55am
Newbie here - been looking through the boards to find info on the best way to go about replacing all the lettering, striping and graphics on our 1981 Nautique 20th Anniversary Edition.

Some say do vinyl, others seem to like painting. I am seriously considering painting the entire boat with Imron, mainly because the river on which we live is full of tannins, causing discoloration on the gelcoat even after a short afternoon on the water. Plus, the gel is looking bad overall.

Anyway, is there a source for the vinyl lettering, or should I go to a local sign shop, have them create the graphics from scratch? Any help would be appreciated.
MarineSRT8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 6:38am
Paint Good!!!....Vinyl Bad!!!...If the boat was painted to begin with, paint it!!!...you will only lose value by putting stick on graphics. As for Imron...NO NO NO...The luster of Imron will last about a summer and then it will not shine anymore no matter how many coats of wax...Go with Awlgrip. Post some pictures of the boat....any cracks in the gel???
"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 9:06am
John, Re gel coat (the new gels aren't as pourous and won't discolor like the old. I too boat on lakes with tannins) and paint the graphics back on. Do a search and look at 2 of our members who recently painted the graphics on their 80's. I'll see if I can link the threads.

Here's Mark's (MaddMarx) beautiful job!

And I can't find Alan's (81nautique). Another beautifull job!

You can mask by hand or have a sign shop cut you a Gerbermask from a tracing that they would scan.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 12:34pm
hasbeenskier has also recently restored an 81, here are some links.

Update: 81 Top To Bottom

81 Top To Bottom-- Graphics On

81 Graphics Update

Magicman's 81
The 81's ready to roll

81nautique won his class at GL last year, and MaddMarxx won it this year. This should tell you something.
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 7:09pm
I'm betting the discoloration is at and below the waterline and it's yellow looking?
Aemmer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aemmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 7:21pm
OK, what is tannins?
T
88 2001
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-07-2007 at 8:26pm
A tannin is a astringent that is found in white oak as well as tammerack trees. It will stain the water a orange color. If the headwaters of the lake come from tammerack swamps, the water will be orangish.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrentRivrRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2007 at 1:23am
Thanks to all for the responses - we live on Trent River in eastern NC - our tannins come from Cypress trees - almost looks like skiing in tea - but clear, golden brown tea. . .

I appreciate suggestions made - the gelcoat is in fairly good shape, but it is brown below the WL, and I like the idea of painting the graphics, just looks like a ton of work. . .

I will try to post some pictures of the boat.

We acquired the boat from my wife's family acquaintance about 7 years ago, since then we rebuilt the engine, and that is about it. It needs reupholstering, as well as a dashboard repaint - it is graying out. . .

Please keep posting ideas and pics - all very helpful! Thanks

Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2007 at 2:22am
Paint it, vinyl will last about 7 years, that's the waranty. I painted mine in 1992, here's a pic from last summer, in Lake Waccamaw, full of tannic acid.
Tim D
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-08-2007 at 2:06pm
TrentRivrRat
We were out in the Trent yesterday after work . put in at Lawsons Creek .I live close to Aroura NC. Looks like the storm will be here tommorrow ,time to exersize the generator.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrentRivrRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-10-2007 at 12:14am
I guess we got lucky - just some much needed rain

we live in between daymarker 6 & 8 opposite the ECYC -

Usually have the Nautique on the lift. . . took it out for the "storm", but it will be back on this week.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 8:47pm
TrentRiver,
I feel/felt your pain as I grew up on the Pamlico and skied the Tar. Did I by chance see your boat in the NC Boating magazine?

Waterdog, I was out your way Labor Day wknd for a very brief trip. Closest I got to you was Blount's Creek. If I head back out this year I'll surely call. Or how about Gaston in October. JMurph??
ReidP
1973 Mustang

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2007 at 9:04pm
might clean it with some muratic acid, just get a bug sprayer and be up wind and have at it and rinse it with water, then don't wax it below or at the water line and see if it makes a difference. Now if the stains are still there after the acid bath then paint is the only help.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TrentRivrRat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2007 at 1:21am
reidP - yes, we were featured in the Oct 06 edition. I love the boat photos -

79 - good tip - I hate Muratic acid, but I will do some experimentation. . .

Thanks again to all for the replies.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic