NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hi Teks ,,Worth the Hype or Waste ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

These pissing matches are entertaining.

Kinda reminds me of the Pinto Races. BKH
Livin' the Dream

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:55pm
entertaining is an understatement.
lefty
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

tullfooter View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tullfooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:57pm
don't be knocking pintos. my first car was a 77 pinto station wagon.
Play hard, life's not a trial run.
'85 BFN
'90 BFN

White Lake, Michigan

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by 85nautiquematt 85nautiquematt wrote:

Of course I'll let it roll. Some of you are running some good HP, do you have a full length baffle at the crankshaft so in the upper R's your not pulling oil "rope effect" into the crank and slowing it down. There's some free power right there. My background is mainly with Pontiac engines and I don't know the secrets to enhancing Ford power. It can be similar in theory though. It's cool you guys head up the Green Lake - I'll see you there next year - I'm 45 minutes away and just bought a 85 Nautique 4 weeks ago. Had a 84 Nautique growing up on Okachee Lake for 15 years Have you guys run your boats against a Malibu Response yet ? Can they beat a Response in a drag?
Can they beat a Response in a drag?

Maybe a Response, but I doubt a Sportster.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 3:04pm
Steadie Eddie's Python BFN will golden shower all of you.
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 3:07pm
No knock on Pintos.

Racing Pintos - Racing Competition Ski boats.

Racing is racing. Knock yourself out and have fun with it. But at the end of the day, a Pinto is a Pinto and a Ski Boat is a Ski boat.

Don't take yourself too seriously BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 3:52pm
Building ski boats is kind like back in the day when guys would spend big bucks stroking their Harleys so the could keep up with 650 Kawasakis.

But it's still fun. Ski boats are like old muscle cars.
85nautiquematt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85nautiquematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 4:18pm
At the next reunion in Green Lake, I'll bring a Malibu Response out there for you guys to pick on. I'll have my brother drive it- we went in halves on the thing. I'd like to see how the Malibu holds up to those built Correct Crafts. My 85 Nautique is stock so it won't hold a candle. Besides and with my wife and three little squirts in the boat it's gotta run smooth. I'm very impressed with the Response -it's just not a classic.
Nothin like the sound of a mid 80's Nautique at mid throttle.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 4:42pm
85,there are a lot of boats that are faster, bigger, smoother, but if you bring the Malibu,you ain't got a dog in the hunt.
If you want to play our game , you have to play by our rules.This evens out the playing field somewhat, CC's only!!!!!!
Put the wife and kids in that Malibu,and bring it on. We need some new meat on the table.
That gives me time to find that extra top end I am looking for,Reid I am ,I can ,I will...........boat dr
TRBenj,hope to see you there too....
85nautiquematt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 85nautiquematt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 5:01pm
boat dr, take note- I just bought the Correct Craft after a few years away from them. The Malibu is great but just didn't cut it. Besides my bro and I sharing a boat was getting difficult with me having kids. I think you know where my loyalty is at. My kids, wife and me have been out in the Nautique three times in four weeks. Also. note I said my brother would be driving.. I drive CORRECT CRAFTS. Either way - it will be fun to see.
Nothin like the sound of a mid 80's Nautique at mid throttle.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 5:29pm
They were not monsters out of the hole, with some more grunt than a 351 but not rediculously so. Without a skier load a well tuned 351 could beat it to 30 mph by a little, but not with three deep barefooters.
The std 330 hp 454 would shine in thos conditions, till you needed 40+ mph.

Mash it at 40 mph (where a 351 or std 454 wheeze) and you would feel it hard in your back and 50 came real fast as the revs solidly go past 5K on the way to 54-5500.

Thee or four abreast footers could maintain 43 mph and still have some throttle left in reserve.

They were cammed for mid-top with very large rectangular ports and big valves (canted of course).

They could sing at 5K for 20 minutes straight for a long barefoot run, and do that for decades. One has 1500 hours and is still tight. One was further built and had straight 4" pipes, others were mufflered. 850cms DP, never saw the bottom end can't comment on the hardware but I'm sure its stout stuff.

The boats behaved at those speed when the conditions were good, but not when the water was irregular

However, a Sanger DX11 with a 330hp smallblock merc is really hard to beat as far as speed/hp and excellent wakes.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 5:41pm
GottaSki, Thank you sir...does anyone know if it was documented? repair manual?
Thanks again
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 6:06pm
Gottaski wrote
They were not monsters out of the hole, with some more grunt than a 351 but not rediculously so. Without a skier load a well tuned 351 could beat it to 30 mph by a little, but not with three deep barefooters.
The std 330 hp 454 would shine in thos conditions, till you needed 40+ mph.

Mash it at 40 mph (where a 351 or std and you would feel it hard in your back and 50 came real fast as the revs solidly go past 5K on the way to 54-5500.

Thee or four abreast footers could maintain 43 mph and still have some throttle left in reserve.

They were cammed for mid-top with very large rectangular ports and big valves (canted of course).

They could sing at 5K for 20 minutes straight for a long barefoot run, and do that for decades. One has 1500 hours and is still tight. One was further built and had straight 4" pipes, others were mufflered. 850cms DP, never saw the bottom end can't comment on the hardware but I'm sure its stout stuff.

The boats behaved at those speed when the conditions were good, but not when the water was irregular.

In the quote above which motor and which boat were you talking about here?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 6:24pm
Hollywood,
Did I miss a post somehwere who has a python in a BFN?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 6:47pm
BFN pylon I think...
1988 BFN-sold

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 6:53pm
"454HP" LH 425hp Pleasurecraft available in a BFN or undocumanted in 2001s. saw one in a powerslot once also.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 7:05pm
Hollwood wrote

This is what I was asking about...

GottaSki

Do you know the reason that the 454 HO were LH rotation.. The 72c trans you spoke of do you have any info on it, was there anything special about it, or did it just allow the use a LH rotation motor. Do you know if these trans can still be baught?? Sorry about so many questions, but it seems you are the only one with first hand experience with this set up.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 7:17pm
72C are longer and even sturdier, 5" output flange., 2-disk reverse and 7-disk forward. Eric may correct the specifics.

I think GM and Pleasurecraft pulled a henry ford and said to CC you can have any rotation you want as long as its LH, because I think its so low volume and GM didn't want to entertain changing a developed and tested assembly, becuase if they fragged, GM would eventualy have to eat the cost, ; as long they were used with the spec'd operating range.

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 7:38pm
So if someone were to come up with a 72C trans then you could put an automotive build motor in and add the required marine parts as need then, or am I wrong on that... You also mentioned the trans was longer, so this would change the length of the prop shaft would it not?

Eric,

Now for your turn is it possible to find one of these trans, or to make this trans?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 7:47pm
[QUOTE=87BFN owner] Hollwood wrote

This is what I was asking about...
QUOTE]

Jim you have to look at the post about the mini reunion in NC at Reid's place. Barefoot Eddie sounds like a neighbor of Reid's that has a Python installed in a BFN.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 8:23pm
Thanks backfoot I have not looked at that post in awhile...
Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2007 at 10:15pm
87BFN: the 72C Borgwarner tranny for torquier engines as Big blocks and big diesel engines.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 12:16am
Luchog

Thank you for that wonderful piece of info.. Sounds like this trans can still be found than.

The 10-18 is just under an inch longer then the 10-17 which I have.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 12:52pm
72 has 3 reverses, you guys couldnt build an engine to blow up one of my modified 71's, had to rattle some chains....
I can squeeze 7 and 6 plates into a 71, and the 72 and even 73 series are out there for the larger props and more torque. the BB use's them for extra insurance depending on application, i see alot of 71"s behind big blocks. the TRS set up uses the same number of plates as the 71 which is 5 frictions and 4 steels. the 72 does use larger planets and a larger input shaft and drum,and the bearing in the rear is a larger max bearing. the plate number is not the only difference
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 12:57pm
those graphs are generalizations, they dont factor alot of things in such as prop size, plate material, boat size, the biggest thing to worry about is prop size, if your spinning a 20" prop and slam it into reverse something is going to break, with the smaller prop sizes on a ski boat it is not as big of a concern
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 2:01pm
anymore if your curious about rotations, ZF and BW make whats called a full power forward and full power reverse, if im being redundent let me know, all the newer boats are using these transmissions you can use normal rotation engines and spin the trans either way for forward with out damage to the trans
the zf 450 and 630 are some of the models, also bord warner makes the 5000 series which also can spin either direction. these trannies are available in straight and down angle and come with a offset
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2007 at 2:40pm
Eric, if I read that right...what I would call the regular BW's(10-17 & 10-18) can't be turned around?
1988 BFN-sold

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123
  Share Topic