Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

small fractures in gel coat

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
schwing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: small fractures in gel coat
    Posted: August-21-2007 at 10:18pm
anyone else have loads of small cracks in the gell coat of there boat hull?
any easy fix? 1991 ski nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2007 at 11:22pm
Paul, It can be a problem! Sometimes the cracking is to the point that removal of all the gel coat is easier that repairing each crack. If done individually, each crack is routed out and filled. Then the hull is ether completely re coated with gel or the cheaper method painted with linear polyurethane paint. We have a very good and extensive thread with tons of photos done by Bill (skibum). I'll try to find a link but you can also use the search feature above.

Here it is!
bill's gel spraying techniques

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 11:10am
I know I always say this but in my opinion you need to fix what is causing those cracks first. Probably some issues with your stringers separating from the hull, especially the secondaries. That allows the boat to flex on the water and the trailer helping to create the cracks.

If you can get a good color match of gel and have a steady hand then you can carefully route along the crack with a dremel or similar tool. Grind all the way to the glass. Then when you have cleaned out all of these cracks you may choose to mix up some thin epoxy and carefully brush it into the cracks while heating the area with a heat gun so it will be drawn into the cracks. Next, you tape around each crack using high quality 3M stuff (not the junk I used despite peoples suggestions). Then you apply your new color matched gel into those cracks filling them completely and leaving them a little "proud" or just above the origional gel thickness. Next is wet sanding until everything is smooth. Then buff and polish.

Good luck.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 11:17am
Paul, I've got a feeling from your first post that you have lots of cracking. We need to see some pictures. Bill is correct that there may be stringer problems with the boat too. Where are the cracks? Above or below the waterline? If they are below the waterline, does the boat sit in the water?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
schwing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2007 at 5:48pm
thank you all!!!!!!!!
the cracks have been on the boat since purchase(USED)
do not seem to be getting worse
very thin cannot even feel them.
all above water line
i will post picture if i can figure out how

THANK YOU ALL!!!!
MdFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MdFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2008 at 10:56pm
OK, gentlemen. I have gel coat crack pictures from my recently purchased '86 SN. Observer side; long down the side. Drivers side; single starburst. Big problems or minor repairs? Thanks for any insight.
KP
1st85 Nautique
2nd
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 10:16am
Kevin, The port side cracking looks to me like you might have some issues with the stringers allowing the hull bottom to flex relative to the hull sides. Have you checked for any wet foam and stinger condition? Do you have any on the hull bottom?

The starboard side could have been caused by a impact but I have also seen the star shaped gel cracking where there is a intersecting section on the inside of the boat. On some CC's the rear corners have a boxed in fiberglass(each side of the gas tank)section. The corner of this "box" is where all the stress is and I have seen the star cracking there. Where is the star shaped cracking?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MdFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MdFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 11:59am
Thanks Pete. I haven't done a good bottom inspection yet, but from the parts that I can see there are no cracks and the gel coat is still shiny. I will be replacing the carpet and when I do that I'll be checking foam and stringers.

The starboard starburst is right under the windshield area.

BTW, originally a WI boy, spent many summers at Manitowish Waters and Little St. Germain!
KP
1st85 Nautique
2nd
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 12:33pm
Kevin, Sorry to here that your life has taken you away from the beautiful northwoods of Wisconsin. I hope you make it back for visits.

Have you done a search here and looked at any of the threads that cover checking for bad stringers? If you haven't, it's agreat place to start. Check them out and keep us posted. Don't go putting in the new carpet until you're sure!!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
MdFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MdFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 1:26pm
Yes I have Pete. A library full of good information. I'll add some before pictures to my diary listing.

We get back about once a year. Some of my family still vacation in Minocqua every year. Miss it a lot!
KP
1st85 Nautique
2nd
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2008 at 5:19pm
My boat has two star cracks like that in the back about where someone would mash a ski into the inside of the hull. I suspect thats what caused the cracks in mine. Mine also has cracks identical to yours from a impact on the bottom of the boat. Nothing to bad didnt crack the bottom just right above the corner where the hull flexed i guess. My stringers are pretty soild but will be replaced sometime. Those are the only cracks anywhere in my boat so I know they aren caused from seperating stringers.
MdFooter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MdFooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2008 at 9:53pm
Thanks Zach,
Do the cracks on your boat cause any problems? Have you sealed them up in any way?
KP
1st85 Nautique
2nd
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2008 at 5:32pm
Nope not that I know of. No sealent. BTW the longer ones on the side almos dissappear with a good buff/wax job. Those are the only ones id ever worry about causing a problem. When I redoo the stringers and floors later on Ill check the inside of the hull for cracks up there and if there are any ill take the gell off and re glass then re gell and problem solved. Mine are just more of an eyesore.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic