NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stuffing Box

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
damonwells View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damonwells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuffing Box
    Posted: August-13-2007 at 5:34pm
1990 Ski Nautique Correct Craft > My Stuffing Box drips every 5 seconds with engine off and shaft not moving, quicker drips with engine on and in gear. If left overnight in the water, there's a couple cups of water in the bilge. Should I tighten the Box so there is no dripping when the boat is stationary and engine off ?

Does anyone know the size of the Gland and Locking nuts ?

thanks, cheers - John
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 6:56pm
The shaft should have a few drips per minute when in gear. Just tighten up the stuffing box nut a little. Shouldn't need a wrench, use your hands. I tighten it while someone is driving it in gear at idle. Not stationary.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 1:51am
I'd leave it It is at the looser side if you want to tighten it a little bit I use pipe wrenches. You don't need alot of torque so it shouldn't gall the nuts. Back the lock nut off then tighten 1/4 turn. See if that takes you to 2 drops per minute while standing.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 11:59am
make sure your not wearing a scarf or a tie
"the things you own will start to own you"
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

make sure your not wearing a scarf or a tie

Don't forget the long hair. Not much around like in the 60's and 70's but I do remember the safety (horror) movies we would see back in high school shop class.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2007 at 1:06pm
What? I can't wear my scarf while playing with my Stuffing box?

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic