Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where Do I Get Cams?????

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MarineSRT8 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where Do I Get Cams?????
    Posted: August-10-2007 at 12:28am
Ok so Im a total gearhead and have always done all of my own work on all of my vehicles ranging from my 86 Monte Carlo SS, to my old 2004 SRT-4 Turbo, to my Yamaha R1, to my new toy my 2006 SRT-8 300C.....BUT!!!!....This is a whole new world. I want to get maximum HP from the 351W. How do I go about doing that? I will need heads, cam, intake, carbs, etc... Where do I get all these things?????
"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 1:33am
I cannot help with the cams but you can get an intake manifold and heads from SKIDIM that should add some HP. They can tell you numbers.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 2:50am
Call Rick at 704-377-4933. I got a RH Clevite cam from him and I'm very pleased with it.
Tim D
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 3:34am
SRT8...I have a buddy who is real tight with the guys at crane cams in daytona, he is going to call them for me to find out if they can grind RR cams for us, I am looking for a RR roller cam, I will keep you posted on what he turns up!

tim..do you think your guy at Clevite can make a roller cam?
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 3:56am
I got that number from ReidP, I think it's a machine shop, they sell Clevite cams. The one I got is a little hotter than stock. I think it was $147.
Tim D
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 4:40am
Tim... thanks I will give him a call! I thought reid got all his cams from K-MART!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 1:25pm
Check out this thread. I highly recommend Cam Research for the cam- several of us here have had great luck with them (they only do Fords and are knowledgable about ski boats). The best place to get heads depends on what you want. Cast iron GT40 and GT40p heads are cheap and effective. For the gaskets, I stuck with quality PCM marine ones from SkiDIM. Pretty much everything else (intake, timing sets, carb stuff, misc parts) can be found at Summit.
pmt2234 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmt2234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 1:36pm
Correct Craft referred me to UltraDyne a few years back. It was like $175 and took about 10 days. It's worked out pretty well.

Ford Motorsport's tech staff were happy to answer all my questions, even for my boat motor.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 1:59pm
your telling me Reid uses k-cams..
"the things you own will start to own you"
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 2:49pm
MarineSRT8,Several of us on this site use the Cam Research,very knowledgeable tech staff,and are satisfied with the product.
Scott built me a cam that fit into my stroker package well.He asked a few simple questions , useage, rpm's, heads, intake and carb.Told him I wanted to spin it 5100rpm's , he spec it out and I got the numbers Ford Racing said the motor was able to make.
Would use them again,they also can "break-in" your cam and lifters for a small fee.This was worth more than the dollars spent to insure peace of mind..........boat dr
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Would use them again,they also can "break-in" your cam and lifters for a small fee.This was worth more than the dollars spent to insure peace of mind..........boat dr

I did the same Doc, don't know if it made a hugh difference but I haven't had a failure yet and it was only $60 for the breakin. They still recommended going through the normal breakin procedure at first startup, I thought it was good insurance.
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

Tim... thanks I will give him a call! I thought reid got all his cams from K-MART!

As usual Mark, you were wrong again. I get my underwear from K-MART! My cams from WeBeCams.   But I'm recommending Cam Research as well after seeing Billy's boat run.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 4:26pm
Reid, that is toooooooo funny.
My draws come from Victoria Somebody,but only the boat nurse knows the style......
I kinda' loike the foo foo stuff, but no need to go into that here , will start another thread........
Back to the root of this thread;
Building HP & Torque is a complicated but not expensive venture.
I spoke to many engine builders and to Ford Motor Racing as to what I wanted and what I was able to live with.These are two different worlds,and spending lottsa' dollars will not always give you the numbers.
As anyone at G/Lake will attest the 331 is a strong build, all the parts work together.And based on the quality of the rotating assy.the engine shouls live for 1000 hrs.
Strong low end with a top end of 5100 rpm's gives me the thrill I paid for..boat dr
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2007 at 5:22pm
I should possibly add that my 302 +.040 engine runs really well with the Clevite, but that cam spec is more suited to a 302 build-up and probably isn't enough zing for a good 351 upgrade.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2007 at 12:50am
I got my cam from Crane many years ago,but it isn't a roller.The thing that upset me was they have the firing order on the sheet wrong.When I started it up for the 1st time it ran like sh**,and here you are trying to break the cam in,and it won't go over 1000 rpm!How could they even grind a cam and not know the firing order is beyond me.By now I hope they have got their act together.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2007 at 1:37am
Gary, I found no body that had a r/hand roller blank,PERIOD.
It appears you are still recomending them to your fellow CC Fans,Cam Research sends a cool card showing all info including firing order.
I will spend money with them again,value ,knowledge was treated like I was their only customer.........boat dr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2007 at 7:44pm
thanks for the info guys. Got some more questions for ya. Does anyone sell a stroker kit for the 351 and also is there anyone out there who hase gone completely solid lifters and a huge lift and duration cam setup with a gear drive instead of a chain?....I want my boat to sound like its about to run a 9 second Qtr Mile...And also be that powerful...any help in that direction.

thanks nate
"Some people go an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. Marines don't have that problem"

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2007 at 10:23pm
srt8...you can do what you are talking about if you dont mind running racing fuel all the time, and you will have to change out the solid lifters about every 100hrs!
65 'cuda View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65 'cuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2007 at 11:00pm
Huge lift and duration equals long overlap, chop the throttle at high rpm for an emergency or what ever, and all that vacuum is going to suck the water back through the exhaust into your exahust valves, BAM! hydro locked, not pretty.   Follow the lead of the gear heads here, they'll send you in the right direction.

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2007 at 11:10pm
MarineSRT8,you can do any thing you want with a marine engine.High comp.big cam, large carb alladd up to a boat that sounds bad and performs like a DOG....
I built a strong stroker for my boat,with a lot of info gathered elsewhere,that does the job quite well.
300+ HP/400 lb. ft of torque/331 C.I.W/a 400 rpm idle.Big cams and boats don't mix,as stated above . They will suck water at any lobe separation over 115 degrees .And this = instant death..........boat dr    
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-12-2007 at 11:44pm
Nate,
In regards to strokers, BoatDr has a guy he used and I found another company near Detroit called Paul Anthony Race Engines (PARE). They specialize in small block Ford power with a nice selection of stroker short and long blocks based off 302's and 351's. The pricing is also very attractive. We recently got a 347 from them to replace a tired 302 in a buddies Donzi which we're converting right now.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 12:24am
ok I see I cant do her up like my SS with all the lope and mad power, But from what you are all saying I can get pretty close. Thanks for the cam research link those guys know what going on. Im going to give them a call this week. And just to make sure, regular heads for a 351W are ok to use correct???...Just want to make sure so I can start stockpiling parts for the winter build. The boat is very solid, no wet foam, good stringers, new floor. So it'll be a fun project this winter!!!

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 1:23am
MarineSRT8, "regular" heads for the 351W is a very broad statement. There are several heads thru the 30 year history that are not the best to use. Joe from NY just built a 351 stroker recently, and he may can help you. I believe he built a standard rotation, so he could run a roller cam. I just built a 351w .040 over, and I am very happy with the performance. I am pushing 350+ horsepower. Make sure that your HP/TQ curve is between 2500 and 5500, any more is pretty much a waste. I would look at the GT40 or GT40p heads. They burn fuel much more efficient than the old heads being stuffed with bigger valves and hogging out the ports. I'm sure others with chime in on their opinions, and there are a lot of good ones out there. As for me, I'm running a Crane and am very happy with it.
Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarineSRT8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-13-2007 at 4:35am
Sorry about that, should have been more specific. Im looking at Edelbrock Vic Jr. or maybe the performer RPM heads. I am running the Vic. Jr's on my Monte and I love them...the fact that the engine is a reverse rotation has no bearing on this correct?

-Pres. Ronald Reagan-

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic