Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rebuilt 351 pics

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rebuilt 351 pics
    Posted: July-02-2007 at 11:37am
In another thread, I was asked to post pics of my new rebuild. Just finished it last weekend, and had it out a few times. Running great and finally getting a good tune on it.
Specs: .040 over 351w, Sealed Power/Speed Pro hyper. flattop pistons, Crane Cam 500/512 int/exh, GT40p heads, Crane springs, stamped rockers, Edelbrock Performer intake (gasket match ported), phenolic carb spacer, holley fuel pump, holley fuel pressure regulator, rebuilt holley 600. Don't hassle me about the cheap cooling lines, I have new PCM hoses coming.

Every day above ground is a Good day.

Lakeland, FL
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-02-2007 at 2:06pm
Tim, that looks really nice. The rebuild specs sounds like it's a really strong motor. Nice detail. New hoses will definitely make it more impressive but nicely done. I think you stated in another post that it's in a Ski Brendella. Doesn't matter. As was told to me when I first got on here, as long as you have a passion for old boats and keeping them looking and running as most of the other guys in this forum, you'll be fine. Might take a little good natured ribbing sometimes but it's all in fun. Most guys like us who have off-brand boats don't have the luxury of a site like this to be able to get info and help when you need it, or to just show off your pride and joy a little bit. These guys appreciate the time and effort it takes to make them look and perform like you want your Brendella to. You'll be amazed at what some of these guys do with their rides. They continually impress me!
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
sjpitts View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sjpitts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 3:07am
That fuel pressure regulator is pretty cool.

After having spent a significant portion of one summer diagnosing a weak fuel system in my last boat, I can appreciate having a fuel pressure gauge like that.   

Can you tell me more about it? Is it marine approved?

I have seen inline fuel pressure gauges at summit racing (and installed one on my old landcruiser) but I was always afraid to put one on a boat.

Jared
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 4:06am
Why didn't you paint the exhaust?
Tim D
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 4:29am
sjpitts
whats this about an old landcruiser, now we are talking my language.. details please..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 7:20pm
sjpitts, the fuel pressure regulator is a just a holley regulator that you can get from any speed shop. I have to run it because the high performance fuel pump pushes 8 psi, which is more than the holley carb needle and seat can hold (floods the carb). I set the regulator at 5.5 psi, and my motor never leans out on the top end. As for marine certification...I'm not sure, maybe some of the other guys on here would know. I know it is all threaded unions for the pressur guage, and multiple barb fittings with hose clamps for the fuel line. I would think if the rubber fuel line would pass, then why shouldn't the regulator.

Tim D, as for the manifolds, it was a few reasons not to paint. Got too hurried in getting the motor together, and I am hoping to get all aluminum exhausts from JA Chaimberlain soon.

JoeinNY, I don't know what to tell you about the Landcruiser. BTW, wasn't it you that was building the 408 stroker??? How's that goin'?

Thanks for the replies fellas.

Lakeland, FL
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 8:22pm
The 408 stroker needs a bit of paint and the accessories installed to be complete. I am going to the lake now to pull the boat to install it, with a lot of luck I will be spinning my prop way too quickly by sunday or so...

The landcruiser comment was for jared, I just finished helping a friend install a shiny new aluminum tub on a 1967 landcruiser and I am curious as to what he has going there...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 10:53pm
Rubber fuel line, unvented non-marine fuel pump, plastic fuel filter, non-marine regulator, automotive water pump, pressure gauge with moving brass tube prone to fatigue, aimed at the skeptical distributer with vacuum advance dashpot. Chebby straight boot wires.
Doesn't hei ignition and spiral core wires cause a rift in the space-time continuum?

Sorry to be mr. bummer, but thats an abortion. Spend less time covering the Morse cables, and get it safe.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 11:13pm
I like how the arrestor fitting for the fuel pump overflow line has a hose going from it to the valve cover T-handle. Just don't understand why you would want to use those T-handle bolts for the valve covers when you can't get to the bottom center bolt in the valve cover. don't believe its a CC either if memory serves me.
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-06-2007 at 11:20pm
GottaSki, your abortion comment is a bit much, and you can keep that comment to yourself. To address some of your concerns, these pics were a bit premature and were taken during cam break-in in my front yard with the engine cover up always. There now is no plasic fuel filter, the vacuum advance now has a permanent block-out with no canister, and the regulator is mounted down around the fuel pump. Yes, it is a auto water pump because I wanted aluminum and i wanted the volume that it pumps...so what it's not marine. The plug wires were from one of my race motors, and they had hei boots. Why buy more wires? As for the pressure gauge, maybe you're right...don't know what to tell you. The covers were on the cables when I bought the boat and I haven't removed them because the cables need replacing and look crappy. If you would like to send me the cables or couple hundred bucks to replace, I will gladly do so. Since when is an HEI distributor a skeptical distributor...far better than any crappy ignition system Ford has ever produced. If there is anything else you would like a comment on, feel free to jump in again.

Lakeland, FL
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 12:52am
racintj,I have some issue also with the fuel system,there are parts and pieces that are not made for marine use. You my boy have created a time bomb,it's not a matter of IF buy when the fire will happen.
You put a lot of time and labor into that powerplant,now spend a little time and money to do it correctly.
#1USCG approved ignition system
#2USCG aproved fuel pump with sight tube
#3Replace plastic fuel filter with Water sep.
#4Replace that plastic elbow on manifold
#5 Marine engines don't need vacuum advance
#6 Ford distr. were not used they were Mallory,and yes USCG aproved
#7 If your feeling are hurt easily or you cannot take a lickin' this ain't the site for you.
#8 If you can join in and we will help you out any way we can,just trying to keep you safe from yourself, and if you choose to keep things the way they are,fuel, ign, and other saftety features you have disregarded then it's your ASS...........boat dr
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 1:07am
exactly,
Sure, I have more comments. Ever kids in that boat? Other people's kids? Tell their parents you saved a buck or two but the engine looked pretty, if their kid is in the burn ward or in a box, they'll understand, speedracer.

But your condition is curable, we can fill in the blanks whenever you want to stop defending those components.

IF you had the right fuel pump, the regulator is unnecessary. Hard lines on pressure side of pump. etc.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 1:51am
Hi-ya Tim, always glad to see another Polk County bro on here.

Where do ya use your boat?

Looks like you are headed in the right direction with your motor...but don't get your feelings hurt...count the number of posts for dr and gotta, they are always on here helping others.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 2:02am
79, wow, I am really surprised to see you jump in with your banter and sarcasm (that was sarcasm if you didn't know). To address your concers: Again, the T-handles are something from the PO that I reused until I can find some PCM valve covers. I do have a trick to get to the bottom bolts, and I would be glad to share. As for the CC, no it's not, and I never said it was. You gonna kick me out of the forum, it's an 88 Ski Brendella. It's what I could afford at the time, and I like the low profile.
BTW, I have appreciated your help previously, no joke.

boat dr:
1 I will work on the fuel pump replacement
2 As in my earlier post, fuel filter already eliminated. Water seperator was already in place before, but for initial break-in (in my yard with cover open) I wanted to make sure there was no trash entering carb.
3 Brass elbows are on my list along with the new water/exhaust hoses.
4 As well, in my earlier post tonight, the vacuum advance now has a permanent block off, eliminating the canister.
5 I know that mallory made alot of the components, but you have to admit that the HEI unit is one of (if not the best) best stock ignition systems ever made. Very easy to install, and I know the system very well. Many years of GM musclecars and racing.
6 I can take the sarcasm and my feelings do not get hurt easily. I can banter with the best of you, and I hope that I can continue to do so. However, I do think there is a level we can maintain for civility, maybe like 80% rather than full throttle.
7 As for helping, you have already helped me a couple of times in another thread, as well as me reading your past posts. I truly appreciate that. I am taking your concerns and making corrections, just as I already have most of these corrected.

Gotta Ski, really....again. okay. My condition is incurable, so says my wife (lol). I am working on replacing the fuel pump, as well as I guess eliminating the regulator (I like being able to see the pressure, but now I know). As for the fuel line, I will visit NAPA in the morning for stainless line, break out my tubing bender, flare tool, and make me a fuel line to make you happy.

Lakeland, FL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 3:56am
the point is your not using marine grade components, the Dist, fuel pump, fuel lines and most likely the carb too. I'm usually the one rip'n people here so have some thick skin around us otherwise your not going to enjoy it here much. The water pump makes no difference, the plastic elbow at the manifolds are a risky move as they will crack and break. Don't really see why you have a hose going to the arrestor anyway since it's for the sight tube of the fuel pump and Doc didn't even mentioned anything about the hose clamps on the exhaust.

Everyone here is just trying to help out and most want everyone to have a save time out on the water and the way yours is currently set-up could present some serious problems for you and who ever is with you at the time it blows up because the rubber fuel line as a leak and the cap develops carbon tracks and arcs inside of the cap and ignites the fuel vapor from the leaking fuel line because your dist doesn't have and spark protection. Look at the base of the dist see those two vent holes That's where your fire will start and you count on that might not happen the next 5 times you go out but eventually it will as it ages it gets much easier for the situation to occur.
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 7:01am
Racintj, if you decide to take the risk and use that automotive HEI distributor you will not get optimum performance with it. The reason for that is your distributor is not designed to have enough mechanical advance for a marine application. The 351W likes to see somewhere around 32 degrees total advance (some here prefer more) by 3000 RPM. With your automotive distributor it takes the mechanical and vacuum advance both working to achieve that. With the vacuum diaphram blocked you will only get around 22 to 25 degrees total. Believe me, I've tried this very thing before. It takes a lot of mods to this distributor to get it to advance enough. And then the curve won't be right (unless you are extremely lucky). It's alot of work and it's just not worth the risk. Then after you do all that to this distributor it's worthless for use anywhere else. But don't dispare. DUI makes a marine HEI distributor for the 351W. Part # is M35820. It's not cheap ($355.00). But it'll give you some peace of mind. Good luck with getting your boat up to USCG standards. Nice detail work with your motor! Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 11:09am
I say avoid the Coast Guard , be a rebel, that extra stuff will weigh you down, it feels better when there might be a chance you could blow up out on the water, all in all you did a nice job..... you should probably fix that stuff to because the coasties will hassle you and write you a citation
"the things you own will start to own you"
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 11:34am
79, I do have thick skin and I can take it, so keep dishing out. I may just respond with the same. I am learning as I go here, and as I said before, I truly appreciate all the help. I have addressed most of the issues. I shouldn't have posted those pics, but I was nudged to do so by some others. This was before it ever hit the water. YES, the carb is a marine unit. The same one most are running on here. Holley 4160 600cfm, vacuum secondaries, J-vent tubes, marine carb.

Nutty, I'm not a novice on the HEI. I know what you are saying about the vacuum advance, but not true with mine. Permanent block off on mine now, and I have recurved the dist. I can easily get 36 degrees advance with a little custom weights and springs (reshape the weights and play with springs).

jbear, I live one block from Lake Hunter in Lakeland. Easy for me to put in there. I like to go to the Chain in Winter Haven, when there is water in the canals. I see you're from Lake Wales. Where do you ski? Crooked Lake? Thanks for the reply.

Lakeland, FL
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 12:55pm
i believe john goes to the same chain, If harbor side bar/resturant is on that chian then that is where he goes.
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2007 at 8:48pm
79, that is the chain I am talking about, but right now the lakes are very low and most of the canals aren't deep enough.

Lakeland, FL
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2007 at 2:31am
Tim: We put in next to Harborside, like Chris says, when there is enough water. I have been on Crooked. Nice lake but a little big for footin'....to breezy most of the time. I have been goin' over to Winter Haven to foot with Backfoot on a couple of small lakes near him, Elbert and Buckeye. Give me a shout sometime in August if the water raises in the Chain and we'll meet at the Harborside. If my pal 79 is in St. Pete I'll invite him along and you'll be surprised when you meet him in person.

Even tho I have owned 6 C/C's I am always interested in seeing what guys can do with their boats, no matter what the brand.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
racintj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote racintj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2007 at 4:40am
Thanks jbear, for not crucifying me just cause I don't have a CC. I know where Elbert is, used to do alot of footing there when I went to PCC just down the street. I've forgotten where buckeye is, I will have to look it up. I here the water is coming back a little with our rain, but still not there. I would love meet at Harborside sometime, I have 2 friends with 76 and 82 SN, and they would love to join as well. Take care.

Tim J

Lakeland, FL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic