NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

how do you bypass starter relay??

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
logicsound View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how do you bypass starter relay??
    Posted: June-10-2007 at 3:35pm
ok, I always hear people talking about jumping the relay but how exactly do you do this? Do you put a jumber cable between the 2 big bolts on the relay? This is what I think but when I do it the starter does not turn sparks fly everywhere and my cables melt to the solenoid (very scary!!!!)... also tried a screwdriver and it melted my screwdriver so I think I am doing something wrong....can someone please tell me where I am suppose to put the jumper wire...

thanks
t
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-10-2007 at 5:04pm
The 2 large terminal studs (not bolts) where the large wire from the battery and the other to the starter are connected are the correct spot. It sounds like you have a dead short in the cable or a bad starter.

Since you are trying to jump the starter relay, I assume you have other problems. Have you done any checking to see why it won't turn over with the ignition switch?

You must have kept the jumpers and the screw driver on the terminals for a fairly long time to have a melt down! Do you have any friends who might be tuned in to engines more than yourself? I'm sorry to have to say that but from what you have described, it's getting dangerous.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 12:31pm
Trever, I wanted to bump this back to the top because after thinking about what you have said, I don't want you getting hurt. It's time to get some help. At the very least, get the starter off the boat and take it in for testing.

Seems like we have had a run of starter problems lately!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 10:38pm
Also, you'll always have sparking issues when you jump the two terminals. Hopefully there are no gas fumes lurking!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 12:34pm
Thanks for the concern guys.., I took the starter off and have a new one coming from skidim.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 5:39am
Trever, Glad to hear you have a new starter coming. Did you order a new relay too? You may consider it since it's not a high cost item and sound like you may need one. You may have to cut the studs on the old one to get the cables off as it sounds like they are now really in bad shape. When you get everything installed and still have a problem, check that you are getting 12 volts to the small terminals on the relay. This is the coil of the relay that pulls the contacts together. It is turned on when you turn the ignition switch to the start position. If you don't get the 12 volts when you turn the key, post it as there are a couple of other things to check that we can help you with.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 12:01pm
ok, so I hate when people tell you somethings in stock (skidim) and then they call you 2 days later and tell you its backordered..AHHHHHH.. Anybody know where I can get a Starter from. Or does anybody have one I can buy from them.

Thanks
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 12:20pm
Trevor, Have you considered having your old one rebuilt? Just a thought. Look in the Yellow pages under "autombile electric service"

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2007 at 2:26pm
will check it out, I really wanted to get on the water today so I was really bumed.. Also thanks for the tips in your above post.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 4:30pm
ok so I got the starter and the new relay, installed and the boat cranks but will not start...i have spark from the coil, but cant tell if i have to the spark plugs...also now when i crank it and then turn off the key it keeps cranking???? had to disconnect the battery to stop.. not everytime just twice out of about 15 . WTF? please help
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 6:31pm
ok put the old relay in and the problem went away.so i guess skidim sent me a bad relay...but it still wont start, i have spark from the coil but no spark from the wires to the spark plugs??? is it the timing? I did not change anything though? but how do i set inital timing anyway? please help, my whole family is here and wants to go on the boat...

thanks
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 7:16pm
update...i tried it again..and got a little spark to the spark plug wires..this boat is so frustrating!!! i thought cc's were suppose to be good? this boat has not run good since i got it...can somebody please help me?? anybody in Charlotte? I will pay you!!!!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 8:06pm
Trever, From the problems you have had so far with the boat it seems to me that the brand of boat would not make a difference. You have taken on a project that you know very little about however I do admire you since getting though these problems is one method of learning. We are here to help as much as we can but you need to slow down. The shake down cruise it not the time you want to take your family boating.

When the new starter stayed engaged, you may have another problem other than a bad starter relay. You will need a volt meter or a test light. Check that the 12 volts coming from the ignition switch to the starter relay coil is actually turning off. It is the small wire on the relay.

You have asked how to check the timing. Why do you think it's off? It will not help you getting spark to the plugs. It will just get it there at the proper time when the piston comes up to the top of the cylinder on its compression stroke. You need a timing light to set the timing by turning the distributor while the light is showing up marks on the flywheel.

I would start with a ignition tune up including plugs, wires, distributor cap, points, rotor and condenser. At this time you may want to consider having someone do it for you but as I have said before we can help if you are patient. Get on line or get a book on engine tuning and do some reading.

You have given us no information on the boat. Year? How many hours? Was the boat running last year? You recently got it but how long ago? Did the previous owner have it running?

Also please note that Friday afternoons are a bad time to get replies on this site since unlike myself, most of the smart people are out on the water!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote logicsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 9:18pm
thanks,
It was starting, but after it got warm and you turned it off, it would not start back up until i let it sit for awile, but last time this happened my cousin did not let it sit and just kept cranking it, hence the bad starter, so I found alot of forums about not starting when warm so I was going to take this on once I get it started again, but it wont start now. It is a 86 martinique with a 351 it has the electronic conversion, new wires, new plugs, new cap, new coil and it was starting perfect except for when it was warm. sorry for sounding frustrating. but thanks
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2007 at 8:44am
There have been several threads in here with this problem and if I remember right, most diagnosis were that the coil was overheating and probably needed replacement.

Also check the throats in the carb just to verify that there is no fuel dripping into the carb when you turn it off. A misadjusted float or defective needle/seat could cause a flooding situation and hard starting.

As far as the starter continuing to run, I had that exact same issue after I had my old starter rebuilt. The rebuilder said that he could put some shims in to help that. It did help some but eventually did the same thing over time. I ended up buying a brand new starter, not a rebuilt one and haven't had an issue since then.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
78skinautique View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 78skinautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 1:40am
All of this sounds a lot like my 78 ski nautique and 351. I'm trying to get the starter rebuilt, but I picked it back up today and I'm really frustrated. I didnt put it in the boat, just charged the terminal/ground with a battery jumper to see if it would start and all I got was SPARKS all over the place! I was asking the girl at the counter when I picked it up if she could test it for me to show me that it worked. She said "oh just bring it back, I'm sure it will work". So now I gota bring it back and ask them to try again! There were spark/grounding marks on the terminal when I picked it up, so I bet they knew it wasnt cranking.. grrrr..

Maybe I need a new one? My boat was experiencing the same hard starting behavior when warm before the starter stopped working on the 4th of july (conveniently enough). I'm going to try and make due with this till next season but we'll see how far that takes me :P

63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 3:08am
You say "I didnt put it in the boat, just charged the terminal/ground with a battery jumper" - I'm not sure what you mean here. Some sparks happen whenever you are jumping terminals on a starter, there's a lot of amperage flowing and as your jumper or screwdriver approaches the terminal it makes an arc, no way to avoid it. "Sparks everywhere" isn't what you should see.

With the hard starting when warm, was it cranking OK but not starting, or was the starter laboring and spinning the engine too slowly?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 7:47am
63, I got the impression after reading 78's post (it wasn't clear to me ether) that he had the starter on the bench and hooked it to a jump box battery.

78, 63 is correct that starters draw lots of amps and the reason there are BIG wires going to them. First, I hope you didn't go to one of the big chain auto parts stores and they simply exchanged the starters. We have had several posts with people making this mistake and even getting standard rotation auto starters. (your starter is a reverse rotation) Take the starter back, have them test it, make sure it is a RR marine and put it in the boat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-18-2007 at 12:37pm
ANY DC motor is a dead short when rpms are 0.
Arking is typical, but it should spin up quickly and then amps tail off. If its not secured it will abruptly roll away from you.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic