NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil Blowing Out Dipstick Tube

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil Blowing Out Dipstick Tube
    Posted: June-06-2007 at 9:34am
Neighbor friend of mine has a SB Chevy 350 in his I/O Chapperell which has begun blowing oil out the dipstick while under load over 3,000rpm. Any ideas what may be causing this and/or the fix?

My guess is blow-by, could this be caused by rust on the cylinders over the winter? Would pouring trans fluid down the carb or using sea-foam or similar be of any help?

Thanks in advance for the help!!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 9:47am
Too much oil?
6strings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6strings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 10:18am
Clogged PCV valve?
9360SAN View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9360SAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 10:57am
check oil to see isn't milky color,if yes,it will boil since water leak in.
Go on wakeboard
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 1:53pm
Oil blowing out of the dipstick tube means high crankcase pressure. If the PCV system (valve and hoses) is in good shape, the most likely cause is worn piston rings. How many hours are on the engine? Trans fluid or engine fogging is only a preventative measure to take when winterizing. It will not fix worn rings or damaged cylinder walls. Brian
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2007 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Neighbor friend of mine has ...begun blowing oil out the dipstick while under load . . .
My guess is blow-by . . .

Another HW signature? BKH
Livin' the Dream

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 7:09am
how does the engine run besides that? remember one other guy on the site had this problem and it ended up being a hole in the piston, it could be blow-by,
it sounds like a go-fast boat (chapperell) and sees high rpms,
a good compression test will tell the story
"the things you own will start to own you"
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 9:02am
Eric is right on the mark! I didn't ask enough questions first. Did it start doing this all of a sudden? Compression test.

Former boats:
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 9:09am
Thanks Guys,

Not a go-fast, just a 23' cuddy and used relatively lightly, probably around 500hrs (no meter). Boat runs fine other than the oil issue.

I will pass on the suggestions including put some heavy oil in it and trade it in for a Nautique!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2007 at 9:32am
BKH, I saw that one right away. It was almost too obvious to cut up, besides I give quinner enough sh*t already. I spread a little over to reid and just hit up MM in another thread.

Just for the hell of it, here's what I would have used off that post.

Originally posted by quinner quinner wrote:

Neighbor friend of mine has begun blowing the dipstick. while under load what may be causing this blow-by, rust on the cylinder? Would fluid be of any help?
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-11-2007 at 7:47pm
Did a compression test and 1 cylinder was completely dead while 2 others were very low. He traded the boat in today.

Thanks for the help guys.
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 7:21am
did he trade it for a CC?
"the things you own will start to own you"
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-12-2007 at 8:56am
They bought another Chaparral, his wife insisted on having a boat with a toilet, told her that's what the teak was for, she wasn't buying it.
gigem75 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gigem75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 1:38pm
We do a lot of "prop checks"
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by gigem75 gigem75 wrote:

We do a lot of "prop checks"

Yep, you have to check that "muffler bearing" pretty often.
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 8:58pm
And quinner has to check the "blow-by"

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2007 at 9:05pm
You guys crack me up!

Former boats:
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic