NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My Boat Videos - Gotta Love the 351

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 1:09pm
Pete, I thought your comment was classic and I know you and Craig are pals. I think indirectly I was probably justifying my own longwindedness (is that a word?) and looking for company in Craig, since I'll give anyone a run when it comes to babbling on.

I fortunately or unfortunately share Craig's interest in the prop calc's but they continuously stymie me and mostly in the area of slip. I just keep playing with the numbers and along the way you learn prop sizes/results, engine power and speed as a function of rpms, etc., all the stuff a gear head or speed freak likes to know.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

Luchog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luchog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 1:24pm
Reidp I have a propeller topic going on on General&stuff regarding a prop for my 80' SN, I'd not make such a large debate about a prop and buy a few and test them but since I'm 20k miles and each prop cost a little fortune to my economy I need to do all my homework before getting one.

would you mind giving me some input??
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 1:31pm
Luciano, Tim (TRBeng) was doing a big summer test on props. Tim, Did you ever finish the prop testing and compile the results? The slip results should be very interesting because it is the big vaiable!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Luciano, Tim (TRBeng) was doing a big summer test on props. Tim, Did you ever finish the prop testing and compile the results? The slip results should be very interesting because it is the big vaiable!!

Prop testing is finished and I have a bunch of numbers. I havent crunched them yet, but have a pretty good feel for what I would recommend on all the 1.23 direct drive boats. There isnt a whole lot that would help all the 1:1 guys, as I was dealing with a totally different set of props. I will be putting together the full writeup and having Keith post it. Its on the to-do list.
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Prop testing is finished and I have a bunch of numbers. I havent crunched them yet, but have a pretty good feel for what I would recommend on all the 1.23 direct drive boats. There isnt a whole lot that would help all the 1:1 guys, as I was dealing with a totally different set of props. I will be putting together the full writeup and having Keith post it. Its on the to-do list.

Is it the same thing you've always recommended for the 1:23 boats? Any surprises?
2000 SN GT40 w/99 Graphics/Gel
2016 SN 200 OB 5.3L DI
https://forum.fifteenoff.com

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2007 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Is it the same thing you've always recommended for the 1:23 boats? Any surprises?

No real surprises- and Ive been giving advice based on my results for some time. I decided to keep the 612 and 1442 for my boat, as they were the best performers on my hull. The 1442 is the prop I recommend for the pre-TSC boats with the HO motor (the 612 is NLA), as it dials back the RPM a bit compared to the 470. The 470 is my choice on the non-HO motors or heavily weighted boats that benefit from the added RPM's. On the TSC2, the 612 and cupped 470 were my favorites, followed by the 470 and 422.
64X55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 64X55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-18-2007 at 8:25pm
Jumping backwards a bit (didn't check in for a while), Thanks Ried and Pete! So it sounds like I've got the green light to ramble on & on & on & on...! Wait, I think I feel a three pager coming on!
Just kidding.
It was interesting what you were mentioning above about the flex factor of the NiBrAl. You usually see a lot of comparing between aluminum and stainless and folks don't mention the NiBrAl a lot. It's like "Oh that's what goes on an inboard" and that's about it. This has been a cool thread with a lot of neat info.

I had always noticed the huge differnce in the typical inboard props pitch (as compared to sterndrives and outboards). Didn't know for a long time that most inboards were close to 1:1 ratio. I think I just assumed it (in my ignorance) since the were direct drive and the pitches were so low. Most outdrives ratios are in the 1.5:1 or more (the old Volvos for V8's being largely 1.61:1 and then for 4 cylinder engines, as much as 2:1 and I think even higher). Noticed above the mention of 1.23:1 inboards.

Ried; you're right, the main wild variable is the slip factor. It's like that's what you're really calculating if you have known actual speeds, and then theoretical speed, rpm's and gear ratio. It's fun to try to predict the numbers. As mentioned, cup does some things too. Most of my rambling has been from memory from reading, experimenting, and talking to the guys at the Donzi web site. I gotta dig out my old Mercruiser "All you need to know about props" book. It is very cool and full of great info.

Wow; that's all I could come up with. I must have web writer's block.   
Inboards Rule!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic