NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

A 351w (stroker?) from scratch...

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 13>
Author
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A 351w (stroker?) from scratch...
    Posted: January-30-2007 at 4:47pm
Well, the 67 mustang looks awefully sad without its' 302 and the engine that came in the '83 2001 is a total loss due to someone deciding to mix a full floating rod into a set of pressed in rods during a rebuild (my condolences to the previous owner Jhatem), so its time for me to start ordering parts for a replacement.

I am going to lay out what I am thinking so far, feel free to tell me if you think I am making a mistake or might be better served going another way. The budget on this build is not unlimited but I don't plan on leaving any engine upgrades to be done later either. My plan is to build standard rotation and to eventually move to the newer PCM transmission to get the prop turning the right direction.

I am buying a standard block machined .030 over ready to a$$emble (only thing special is the request for bra$$ freeze plugs and a piston to wall clearance of .030 to .045 due to the marine use)...

Going with an Eagle Crank, part number 103513850 basically a stock cast 351 crank with the stroke increased to 3.85.

Planning on eagle full floating connecting rods SIR5956FB (std 351W length of 5.956)

This combo combined with some standard 302 height keith black hypereutectic pistons (part number tbd) is intended to give me a displacement of 393 cu.

I am intending to stay away from forged components if at all possible to allow the money to go else where in the build, the manufacturer claims the above parts are good for up to 500hp, and I plan to be closer to 400hp.

For heads I am thinking of some iron flow heads from iron flow heads 190cc int/75cc exh runners, 2.02 int/1.60 exh valves, 60 cc combustion chanber, with the appropriate stainless valves, springs, guideplates, and 3/8 inch studs.

Cam and lifters- because I would like to use a full synthetic and am a little gunshy over wiping out flat tappet cam lobes (again) I am set on using a hyd roller setup. The Comp Cams Retrofit Hyd. Roller and Lifter kit that I am leaning toward is 212/218 int/exh duration, .513/.513 int/exh lift with stock 1.6:1 ratio Rockers seperation is 110 degrees.

Heads to be topped off with some Scorpion Rollers, anyone have any recommendations on pushrods?

My hopes for this setup is set it up with a prop that will allow it to reach about 5200 rpm. I will specify pistons to get about a 9.4 to 9.6 compression ratio. I am hoping for maybe 375hp?

Any ideas if the stock carb will get me there? (with jets/adjustment of course)?

I am thinking of going with a Edelbrock performer (or he equiv. performance products unit) as opposed to something more radical like an air gap so I can keep my power out of the hole and idle quality.. (not to mention my engine cover and a decent sized arrestor) Mistake?

Opinions on stock oil pump vs high volume for this appplication?

I am planning to keep the stock PCM manifolds at this point as I would rather have a tower than a set of HiTeks this summer, Big mistake?

I am thinking a performance distributors DUI for simplicity...

Need to source an alternator and a starter since I am switching directions suggestions?

Last and hopefully least I need to get the two water pumps to work correctly in the opposite direction.   

Any opinions?
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 5:21pm
I've got a melling oil pump in mine, it pegs out my 80 psi gauge. Also, my cuz who built the motor for me knocked a hole out near the distributor, he said it was a trick to increase oil flow. Be sure to get some ARP bolts.
Tim D
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 5:41pm
Joe, I was hoping to be the first with a 393, but it appears you beat me to it. Should be a fun build. At first glance, here are a few comments:

Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Going with an Eagle Crank, part number 103513850 basically a stock cast 351 crank with the stroke increased to 3.85.

Ive heard mixed reviews of the Eagle cranks. Some love them, some hate them. I have heard mostly good things about Scat, though.

Cam and lifters- because I would like to use a full synthetic and am a little gunshy over wiping out flat tappet cam lobes (again) I am set on using a hyd roller setup. The Comp Cams Retrofit Hyd. Roller and Lifter kit that I am leaning toward is 212/218 int/exh duration, .513/.513 int/exh lift with stock 1.6:1 ratio Rockers seperation is 110 degrees.

Id say thats a pretty mild cam for 393ci. Call cam research and see what they recommend for a 393 designed to spin up to 5200. I a$$ume that kit includes the tie-bar roller lifters? Thats not a cheap item!

I am hoping for maybe 375hp?

Im not familiar with those particular heads, but 375-400 should be about right, maybe a little more.

Any ideas if the stock carb will get me there? (with jets/adjustment of course)?

I doubt it. Do a google search for a carb CFM calculator, but I am almost positive you'll need a 750.

I am thinking of going with a Edelbrock performer (or he equiv. performance products unit) as opposed to something more radical like an air gap so I can keep my power out of the hole and idle quality.. (not to mention my engine cover and a decent sized arrestor) Mistake?

I think so. I would go with a more aggressive dual plane like a Performer RPM or Weiand Stealth. Im running a Stealth on my 351 along with a 2500-5200 RPM cam and have zero idle issues (@600RPM) and have a tremendous holeshot. That 393 will want to breath more than the standard Performer will allow.

I am planning to keep the stock PCM manifolds at this point as I would rather have a tower than a set of HiTeks this summer, Big mistake?

Not sure- Ill let you know this spring/summer

From the limited knowledge we have about the Hiteks, they sound like they really improve the breathing. However, theres no harm in waiting a year since you already have the stock cast irons on hand.

I am thinking a performance distributors DUI for simplicity...

I love my DUI and wouldnt go any other way.

Keep us updated as you start the build!
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 5:48pm
Im thinking 780 holley, 600 or 650 a little to small, only my opinion, works beautifully on 383 cubes, you dont want to starve the engine for air
"the things you own will start to own you"
Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2007 at 8:50pm
The raw water pump should be reversable.

The carb will be easy upgrade if you feel its needed later.

Oil pump 10lbs. per 1,000 rpm any more is just heating the oil,and that might be to much with roller motor.

I've had good/bad experience with floating rods
one rolloc gets away and ruins a nice motor.

Might want to look at mini hi torque starters since your gonna have to buy a new one.

Good distributor

Just a thought could you serpentine the belt and use the water pump you have?

Sounds like a nice combo,if it leaves like your video and runs out extra thats a +/+

Good luck Munday
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 8:50am
One note, (my opinion) I never use high volume oil pumps, a nice tight rebuild you have more than enough oil flowing through the system, they rob hp, not much but they do, munday's right, high volume oil pumps also have the tendency to heat the oil also
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 10:41am
I'm not a big fan of the4 high volume pump either they usually have to much pressure and just blow the oil off the journal's.

For push rods I was looking at comp cam's with a .060" wall for mine they have a different tip to work well with the roller rockers too.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 5:03pm
I am definitely willing to take any advice on eagle vs. scat for the crank/rods. I was originally looking at Scat until one of the sites that sells them had a big section on reasons the snout of a crank would break off, all those reasons had to do with other parts of course but it was the first I had seen that type of failure and it put a little fear into me that a Scat supplier would spend that much time explaining it. I too have heard second hand bad experiences about eagle although none of those are recent, anyone want to share horror stories.

The cam and lifter kit from comp cams is with tie bar roller lifters, includes cam, lifters, timing gears, and chain for 490 from summit. It’s basically the mildest form of their roller retrofits that they offer standard. I can definitely give cam research a call and see what they can do with a tie bar roller kit. Definitely not a cheap item. This boat when propped correctly is hopefully going to spend a lot of time between 1600 and 2100 rpm wakeboarding and teaching beginners. I think if I have the right torque I will be able to eventually push a prop that will have me at 1800 rpm for 20 mph hopefully saving some gas for that near full throttle run back home as the sun is setting,   I am willing to give up a few mph on the top end so as to not risk any low end deficiency, maybe I don’t have to? Due to the expense and the effect it’s going to have on performance picking the right cam is definitely a worry.

The flow numbers tristate is providing for their heads are a big improvement over most of the ported gt40p numbers I have seen claimed. I don’t think they will hold the engine back.

The carb calculators I found on the internet come up with 593 cfm requirement for a 393 cu in at 5200 and 100% volumetric efficiency, lower as the efficiency goes down. Very borderline, might try and get away with the stock. I am not concerned about the money here but throttle response is important, I don’t want the perfect pa$$ to do a bunch of hunting. Probably wait and upgrade as long as I don’t have to put to much time and effort into the stock carb.

Do the Weiland stealth or Performer RPM height manifolds fit under a stock 2001 cover, if so with what arrestor (source?)?   

I tend to agree with everyone calling for a standard volume oil pump, the only reason I can justify for a higher volume part is to limit the damage if a lifter collapses or something like that but I think it would be better to just install an oil pressure alarm and tell my less observant drivers that they should turn the engine off if they hear any numbers. I had a lifter collapse this year while I was boarding the girl driving at the time didn’t notice the loss of pressure, lord knows how much of my set the pressure was low on.   

That’s another reason I don’t want this thing to get too insane, I let a lot of people drive my boats…
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 6:35pm
Any reasons not to start with a true roller-cam block from the boneyard instead of the retrofit?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2007 at 7:16pm
Havent been able to find one locally or for a reasonable price online anyone got a source?
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 8:26am
I didnt mean that Cam Research was the place to get the tie-bar lifters- I doubt they have an item like that. Id consult them for the cam, though.

Its probably cheaper to start with a roller block or to convert using a 302 spyder retainer. Ive read that the tie-bar lifters are a better solution though- anyone hear or know any different?

With all the torque that 393 will make, I dont think you will have to compromise much on a cam. The .490/.490, 218/222 cam I have supposedly has a powerband of 2500-5200, but it doesnt hurt for power anywhere. I havent really loaded the boat down, but youre a few hundred pounds lighter to start with.

Not sure if the Stealth or Performer RPM will fit under your motorbox... Id check and see how much clearance you have now. Theyre about 1" taller than the regular Performer (which is ~1.5" taller than stock). There are low profile arrestors out there, but they can be tricky to find depending on which fittings you need.

Munday View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Munday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 8:35am
I did the lifter grind last year Joe so I understand your concern.

Good Luck Munday
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 8:38am
I decided I would rather pay the money on the tie bar set than drill holes in the valley for the 302 spider conversion, have seen it done and it looked sketchy to me. Wouldnt't mind finding a roller block, but your talking about a pretty short window of trucks that had 351w rollers, I think 94-97 and the ones I found wanted to sell me the whole engine not just the block.

I can't much checking for clearance on my boat now, it has the 302 out of my 67 and that didnt fit under the original cover because of the way the rwp was mounted so I had to construct a big plywood box to go over it last season. Would rather not find out too late that I need to make modifications to get it to fit...
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2007 at 9:25pm
TRBenj, Excellent play by play comments to which I can add very little. So Joe, half joking but completely serious at the same time, why stop at 393 and not just go for the 427 stroker kit? Does it cost any more? I know PAW and some others offer a complete short block.

Do you really have to spin it automotive direction? Even eventually moving to the new PCM to change the prop direction back to RH, the boat will still more than likely list. Anyone with a late model Std Rot engine boat should be able to attest to a slight starboard list with one aboard. Now add 100 more ft.lbs. of twist and you might do barrel rolls. You can get the entire package you're after in the RR setup. Just my take.

Don't know if I missed it, but I'm somewhat certain that your alternator is bi-directional if it's a marine alt a$$uming you do go standard rot, and your local starter rebuilder can convert your starter.    
ReidP
1973 Mustang

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 12:20am
The 427 is a little more cash because of the need to clearance the bottom of the cylinders for the rods and the 393 only uses a special crank, the rods are std 351 rods and the pistons are std 302 pistons which gives a few more options in keeping it towards the sane end of my checkbook. A 427 will get you into a special piston where the bottom oil ring intersects the pin, and you get down farther into the cylinders where it is common that the cylinders start to become more oval shaped, both leading you to more oil consumption and the greater angles required do start to effect efficiency and engine life so I think 393 is about all I would feel comfortable with. Anyone out there with a 427 disagree?

I have a couple issues with going reverse rotation. The first is I don't know of anyone that grinds a stoker crank in the reverse direction, chances are it wouldnt really effect the main bearing life that the microfinish on the crank was a little rougher in the direction of rotation but its a possibility i have heard many swear to so its a risk. Second I don't know of a reverse rotation roller cam set up available, and its the one thing about my 302 (which i have spent more money on that I plan to spend on this build) that I would like to change. Anyone know of someone with reverse rot roller blanks they would grive for me? Third and definitely least because there are other options you can't order a performance distributors dui unit in reverse rotation for a 351 so I would need to come up with a gear and install it.

The engine turning the right way would be nice, save a few parts and definitely help with the lean when I am in there by myself so if someone has a source for the reverse polished crank and roller cam/rocker retrofit set up I definitely would keep it correct.

I think you are completely right on the alternator and starter, the fan will be backwards on the alternator but it doesnt really matter if it pushing air in or pulling it through, and I will definitely ask the local rebuilder about turning that starter around.   

I dont think I would buy a short block from anyone that I didn't personally know and couldnt drive over to with problems. Both of my CC's came to me cheap because they needed new engines less than a year after PO's paid to have rebuilt engines installed. In tearing them both down I found a$$embly errors, one had multiple problems, some pistons in backwards, connecting rods not properly resized, etc and one had only one error but it was terminal, its just turned me off to trusting rebuilts purchased a$$embled. Plus I own the tools and chicks dig watching an engine a$$embled from scratch..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 8:59am
Joe, you make valid arguments for the 393- I was considering the same build for exactly the same reasons. It may be worth looking into a 408, though. It fairly common, so those 15 extra cubes may come fairly cheap. It wouldnt be as problematic as a 427, though the 393 is probably a safer bet.

Hopefully the Boat Dr. will chime in regarding the crank. He has a standard rotation crank installed in his 331 RR stroker.

No clue about the RR roller cam blanks- considering how few sources there are for reverse rotation cams, rollers may be pretty tough to find. The DUI shouldnt be a concern though- I believe someone here has installed their original dist gear successfully in a RR motor. Edit: check this thread, the post by klinger_2003 3/4 the way down the page.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 7:06pm
Joeinnewyork, Built a 331 stroker,Eagle , for my 64 am. skier last year.Stayed w/r.rotation,just use the correct rear main seal.Would have built a 393 but I was limited to the width of the motor box,351 is too wide. Before you go the 351 route think about the 331 or the 347 cheaper on the wallet and you won't gain any weight.I am making 350 HP and about400 lb.ft. torque.The 331 was a wise move on my part,but to each his own.................boat dr
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by boat dr boat dr wrote:

Before you go the 351 route think about the 331 or the 347 cheaper on the wallet and you won't gain any weight.

Doc, the 2001 this engine is destined for came with a 351. The 302 is from his Mustang.
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 7:29pm
TRBenj, tried real hard to find a roller set up for my stroker,was already drilled for it,but to no avail.Cam Research only had a few R/R blanks left.Going to be hard to find, but if found let me know...
My buddy at Ford Racing say's "If 5500 is the max why waste the time and money for the little bit of heat and friction these rollers will give you. The same goes for the roller rockers,spend your money on the stroker,ain't no substitute for cubes"

boat dr
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 7:58pm
who's got some experience with the 302 to 347 stroker.... any good?
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 8:46pm
While I don't have actual experience, in an auto it's becoming the most popular stroker since the 383 Chevy. So I don't know why it wouldn't be the hot ticket in a boat for a 302 upgrade. I certainly want one.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 11:09pm
Eric, from what i learned searching about, the 347 has oil control ring issues. The rod length places the wrist pin dead center of the o/c ring.Eagle says they have solved the problem by widening the ring groove and adding a steel ring below the expander ring.
For longivity reasons i chose not to go the 347 route.If i do my math right thats only a 2% increase in cubic in.
The HP and Torque #'s were almost the same, not enough to rebuild after 500 hrs..................boat dr
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 11:35am
Thanks for all the thought and info so far, I am still going over the scenarios based on sources for parts and whats going to be the best mix of performance and reliablity. I am a little sidetracked with trying to purchase some serious garage space that would help out a great deal with this project, not to mention the ungoing 67 mustang...
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 4:53pm
Well there is a 393 stroker kit on the way from www.fordstrokers.com, forged probe full floating pistons (19.3cc dish), forged connecting rods with arp bolts, and cast Coast High performance crank, perfect circle file fit moly rings, and clevite 77 bearings. No turning back now, if it warms up she aught to be broken in by green lake.
-Joe.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 5:15pm
kewl. Did you have them open up the ring gap to mimic marine specs?
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 5:22pm
They are file fit so I will have to gap them myself, once the pistons arrive I can have the final honing done on the cylinders to get the piston to wall clearances set correctly as well. Doing a little math it looks like the stroker kit at 1025 shipped is going to be the cheap part of this operation, but hopefully it ends up pretty badass..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 5:56pm
Std or Rev rotation?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2007 at 7:33pm
Std Rotation mostly due to lack of reverse cam choices, which means a transmission switch is in the future as well. In the interim at least I already have a couple props for std rotation engines...
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 2:51pm
More parts on thier way today,

2 completely assembled cylinder heads from tristate

Comp cams Hydraulic Roller Camshaft

Comp Cams Tie Bar Retrofit Roller Rockers

and a
Performance Distributors DUI M35820 That will be curved to match and run on pump gas.

I didn't pay the summit price on the lifters but even so they are going to run almost 500 with the shipping, heads are about 800 with shipping, cam about 275 with shipping, DUI about 400 with shipping.

The cam is listed as a blower cam for a 5.0, but after about an hour on the phone with comp cams it is what they recommend, based on the flow numbers from the heads the intake manifold, the exhaust, compression ratio, and displacement. He actually started with a little higher lift but I wanted to stay under the .550 recommended by tristate for thier springs.

Still need to order the pre-prepped block once I measure up the pistons, need a gasket set, an ARP bolt set, a timing set, an oil pump, need roller rockers, pushrods, harmonic balancer, flex plate, weiland stealth intake, have the starter reversed, and most likely find a larger (750cfm) carb.

I have left over from the last motor project a new marine ciculating pump, a new rwp, a bunch of cheap valve covers, etc

Planning to reuse the alternator, fuel pump, flywheel and some brackets from the previous engine..

Will provide further updates/pictures as things are ordered/arrive/and are assembled...

Don't anyone add up the cost and tell me I don't want to know ..

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2007 at 3:20pm
Joe, Im not familiar with those heads. They dont appear to be listed in this flow chart- whats the story behind them? The flow numbers are certainly impressive. In regards to valve covers, be careful- I believe the stud mounted RR's require more clearance than the pedestals. Im curious if tall VC's would clear PCM style exhaust manifolds- which style will you be running?

I assume youre going to run the wooden motorbox for now? I dont think the Stealth will fit under the stock box without getting creative. I believe you would increase clearance when you go to the 1.23 tranny due to the reduced mounting angle though.

I am interested to hear what you do with the carb- my 302 needs a marine unit, so Im considering swapping the 600cfm onto it and putting a larger carb on my 351 when the time comes.

Did you ever put a call in to Cam Research?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 13>
  Share Topic