Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1979 "Correct Craft" name plate wanted

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
roblewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roblewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1979 "Correct Craft" name plate wanted
    Posted: January-16-2007 at 3:37pm
We are looking for a "Correct Craft" name plate x 2 for our 1979 Nautique. Please reply with details if any...
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 9:04pm
Name plate for where? Sides? Dash? Plastic? Metal?

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
roblewis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roblewis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-16-2007 at 9:55pm
At the rear of the boat on upper sides of the boat. It is a plastic plate.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 11:33am
Rob,

http://www.whitelake.com/catalog/correct_craft_namelate_emblem_3532506.htm

The above are black plastic. The whole emblem is first spray painted with a white suitable for plastic. Then the top is hard block wet sanded. The letters will then be the original black plastic leaving the raised portion white.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 12:57pm
I believe that the above mentioned emblems are actually Chrome.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-17-2007 at 2:04pm
78, They are chrome colored letters on black plastic. I think the 79 had the white with black letter emblems. The process will still work

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
reidp View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reidp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-19-2007 at 11:56am
Do a query of member "Stan C" posts in Parts for Sale. He reproduced the originals and sells them for $70/pr. We've gotten some and they look great. Holes line up perfectly as well.
ReidP
1973 Mustang

nautiquefanatic View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiquefanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-20-2007 at 10:02am
roblewis.......be careful and do a little research if you want the "correct" black and white plastic Correct Craft nameplate.....the 1979 nameplate is unique and different than the 78 and earlier ones. I have both and can show you the difference via email. Just wanted to help a little in case you wanted to make sure your emblems were exact replacements. PC
Rsheets View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rsheets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2008 at 5:03pm
nautique fan
Any chance you still have the '78 nameplate?
Rob
Rob
bmiller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2008 at 1:26am
I bought a set of emblems from Stan C and there perfect.Well worth the money!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2011 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by nautiquefanatic nautiquefanatic wrote:

roblewis.......be careful and do a little research if you want the "correct" black and white plastic Correct Craft nameplate.....the 1979 nameplate is unique and different than the 78 and earlier ones. I have both and can show you the difference via email. Just wanted to help a little in case you wanted to make sure your emblems were exact replacements. PC

I know its 3 years later, but wanted to chime in. Dad and I actually made the same discovery Paul did when looking at the emblems on our '79 BFN. Despite being black/white, the style and holes did NOT match those of the 71-78 black/white emblems. I had purchased a set of the earlier reproductions from Stan C for the boat (since they look so good on my Skier) but was surprised to learn that they wont work, at least without drilling more holes.

I ordered a set of the chrome/black emblems from White Lake and the style and holes line up perfectly... the only difference is the color. Actually, the originals did not have fasteners on the capital C's like the replacements do- but otherwise they are identical. I guess Ill be using Pete's paint and sand method described above.

Pete, should I sand off the chrome before painting the white, or should I do all my sanding afterwards? Is there any trick to making the plastic shiny again? Really fine sandpaper perhaps? Ive never buffed out plastic before!

Original white emblems:

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2011 at 10:21pm
Tim,
Sorry I missed this for a couple days!!

The chrome has got to come off for the paint (rattle can for plastic) to stick. It may be a problem getting it off. The plating is very thin so you may want to try and "break" through it with some silicon carbide wet dry paper and a hard sanding block.

Getting the plastic to a shinny finish will be difficult too. Yes, it can be buffed just like other materials but using a wheel (buff) on the face will also hit the lettering sides. I'd say you may have to settle for a matt finish. If you go to 1200 paper and the hard block, it will probably be sort of a semi-gloss.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2011 at 11:35am
Good info Pete- thanks!
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2011 at 1:40pm
you might be able to bead blast the plastic to remove the chrome before painting.. then again it might fail miserably..
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic