NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting 87 SN Floor/Stinger Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 11>
Author
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 6:57am
Skibum, I've rolled many wood boats over to do bottoms. You will find it ALLOT easyier to not have to work upside down. Rolling it over on old tires and movers pads with lots of help is the cheapest and simplest. Farmers way is the safest but requires lots of rigging. Do you have enough room to roll it over?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:13am
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

You know what, it does look like a jacuzzi!

The gelcote spraying is going well. The sanding is not. It is very labor intensive.

You got that right! Are you starting with 120 grit to knock the orange peel down if sanding by hand? Don't remove ALL the tracer with the 120 or you risk sanding through by the time you get the 120 scratches sanded out with the higher grit papers. Also, make sure you change your sanding direction often. This really helps in letting the paper cut faster.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 7:06pm
David,

I have switched to using tracer and 220 to knock down the orange peel. I will be careful with the 220. I had an inside corner where I ended up sanding away all the new gel. I think it will be easy enough (compared to gelcote on the entire boat) to repair.

As far as the color goes I am using white as the primary hull color with navy blue on the stripe. When grinding the gelcote off the stern I noticed CC applied the navy first then the silver/grey color second. I don't know if Ill go that route because the white won't hide the blue very well if it gets thin.

Unfortunately, I cannot put those young boys to work for my own personal gain. Otherwise, I would never cut 3.5 acres of gra$$ again while I am stationed at Knox.

I can pull the boat out of the garage to roll it over. I thought about rigging a post at the bow, then using the engine crane and a harness to raise the stern.

I also considered simply lifting the stern with the crane and working from stern to bow...when finished, lower the stern and lift the bow in the same fashion.

I just really don't know how I am going to approach it just yet. I have a few more things to do inside the boat before I must decide.

I appreciate the advice. Thank you.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 7:29pm
get a couple of cable winches hang the boat from the lift rings, pull the trailer out from under have some one push on one side to tilt it. then lower it down slowly and roll it over. It's not that heavy with all of the gear out of it. Try picking up the back by yourself and judge the weight that way. .02
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 7:42pm

Unfortunately, I cannot put those young boys to work for my own personal gain. Otherwise, I would never cut 3.5 acres of gra$$ again while I am stationed at Knox.

Well, they could just do it out of the kindness of their hearts for their old pal the Sarge. Seriously though. The empty boat is probably 1400lbs. 10 guys should be able to lift it easily, but you probably want a few more because it's bulky and you don't want it dropped. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-22-2007 at 9:40pm
All very good ideas. I can lift the stern just off the trailer by myself.

I have a question for you...does the windshield come apart in several pieces without a lot of difficulty (or breaking it into a couple of pieces). Or...does it have to come off in one piece?

Thanks.
Bill
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 9:11am

David,

As far as the color goes I am using white as the primary hull color with navy blue on the stripe. When grinding the gelcote off the stern I noticed CC applied the navy first then the silver/grey color second. I don't know if Ill go that route because the white won't hide the blue very well if it gets thin.

Yes, my boat was the same way. The blue accent color was underneath the silve cloud (white). I imagine CC masks off the accent colors directly on the mold. Then they spray the predominant color on the mold, remove the masks and then spray the accent colors right over the top of the primary color. Hence, you have two or three layers of colors. During my repairs, I sanded (grind) through first silver cloud, then electric blue, then black. This was on the side of the hull where all three colors were present, the bottom of the hull only had silver cloud.

I suggest you mask off the line between each color and apply one at a time. Otherwise, you will end up with build-up at the overlap that you will surely sand through trying to flatten coplanar. Pinstriping usually hides the color change line as the line is almost impossible to make perfect.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 10:23am

All very good ideas. I can lift the stern just off the trailer by myself.

I have a question for you...does the windshield come apart in several pieces without a lot of difficulty (or breaking it into a couple of pieces). Or...does it have to come off in one piece?

Thanks.

it's bolted on one of two ways it's either screwed on from the top or it will have t-bolts and you have to remove them from under the dash. You can remove it as one piece, which I would or into mutiple pieces. Along the base of the windshield frame you should see a plasic strip that covers the t-bolts or screw heads which ever the case maybe, just slowly pry it out and you will see the screws or bolt heads. Actually I would look under the dash first and see if you see a bunch of nuts layedout like the base of the windshield, if so then you have the t-bolts and really don't need to remove the plastic strip just remove the nuts and lift the windshield off.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 9:02pm

Here is a shot of the inside of the boat. I applied gelcote to this area just inside the gunwale. It is sanded with 220 and 400 at this point. I did not apply over the top or side because I plan to flip the boat and that will just get damaged.

The picture below is the boat minus the windshield. I took it out in one piece. I am preparing to flip the boat.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2007 at 9:07pm

Sneak preview of the new observer bench for the SN. Trying to replicate the '07 model. Old Vietnam Soldier down the street owns an upholstery shop. He will recover the bench for 30 bucks. I used filler and sanded it all smooth. Not sure if I'll gel the base or paint it and cover with carpet.
Bill
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2007 at 9:02am
boy you need to clean the lens of your camera, notice all the spots in the picture.

looking good, I would gel the base it'll last longer and look better I think.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2007 at 6:33pm
The camera is about destroyed at this point. The spots, I learned, are from dust in the air. Sorry about the quality of the pics.

I hate to admit defeat, but...I was unable to flip the boat over today. I lifted it in the back with my engine crane then put 3/4" plywood supported by 2x8s across the trailer. When I lowered the boat back down it was only leaning slightly to one side. I rigged a strap so I could lift from one side. The lift did not go high enough. Tried removing the plywood and supports to allow enough room to roll the boat. Just could not do it. Not sure what route I am going to follow now?
Bill
Gangster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gangster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2007 at 8:02pm
When I flipped over my boat I was fortunate enough to have an overhead crane. I picked it up and looped 4" straps around the boat. Then we lifted it by the straps and friend and I were able to rotate it as the straps just slid in the crane hooks. Then it just sat down on the trailer perfectly. I realize if I was trying to do it at home it wouldn't be that easy.
76 Ski Nautique
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2007 at 9:51pm

Here is a better picture of the gelcote work inside the boat to date. I gave up on flipping the boat. Tonight I lifted the back and grinded away all of the gelcote on one side of the bottom of the boat from the stern to just short of the plug. Using an electric grinder with 36 grit fiber disk for grinding followed by an orbital sander with 50 grit to level everything. I gave up on my trusty DA because my air compressor cannot handle the workload. It is very messy, uncomfortable, and a bit dangerous working under the boat while it is lifted like that. But, I'll get it done.

This is the new front seat base. I filled and sanded it so I can apply gelcote. This will be gla$$ed onto the floor and hull. Then I'll fill and sand where I gla$$. And gelcote when it is ready.

If grinding, sanding, and applying gelcote under the boat does not work out, I may tow it to a local boat shop. There is a lift in the yard. I'll try it this way for a while.
Bill
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 7:00am
Bill, I do not know where you are but if there are any boat yards in your area You might borrow some boat stands and simply raise the hull off the trailer several inches at four points. They are safe if done correctly.
hasbeenskier
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-25-2007 at 8:25pm
I have pretty much given up on flipping the boat. Just using the lifting rings to lift one end at a time while I work. One side of the bottom of the boat is completely grinded and sanded. The other side is half done. Applying the gelcote will not be too tough. Sanding it will be the kicker.
Bill
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:16am
Bill:

The boat stands are a good way to go as it gets the trailer out of the way. I am a$$uming your boat is still on the trailer. I made my own stands and can send you a picture if you like. The boat was amazing stable on the stands and did not move at all even when climbing in and out of the boat and working inside. I put the boat high enough so that I could lay on my creeper and reach up comfortably to work on the bottom of hull. Your arms WILL get tired. Let me know if you want a picture (too much trouble to post pictures here).
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:26am
Ski-bum If you keep spending so much time on that boat, Momma's gonna get a new hobby
lol Eric
"the things you own will start to own you"
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:41am
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

The boat stands are a good way to go as it gets the trailer out of the way. I am a$$uming your boat is still on the trailer. I made my own stands and can send you a picture if you like. Let me know if you want a picture (too much trouble to post pictures here).

Here you go:

David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:47am

Right, I forgot about that one. Thanks for posting.
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 9:50am
You know now that I think about it bit more, the height of the boat on the stands was dictated by the being able to pull the trailer out from under boat. Turned out to be a good working height. You have to have enough room to manuever the grinder safely when working over your chest and face. Notice the blue tint to the driveway...that is the remnants from grinding off the blue gelcoat. When the project was completed, the entire driveway needed a good pressure washing. Bill, I cannot image doing this work in the garage. How in the world are you going to clean that garage
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 1:08pm
I may just build some stands for the boat. That would help a lot. I guess I would just need to work around the stands. That boat looks awesome! I can only hope to get such great results. As for working in the garage...I really have no other option. The average temperature outside is consistently below 40f. At night it gets down to the single digits. I figure after doing all of this work, cleaning the garage will be a simple task.
Bill
leo0648 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leo0648 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 1:59pm
Wait till summer to do the paint job? In the mean time, build a lift to pull the boat by the rings so that you can just work on the boat raised in the air.
nates78ski View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nates78ski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by David F David F wrote:

... I cannot image doing this work in the garage. How in the world are you going to clean that garage

Haha when we did our '78 we did it in the garage, to clean; put on a dust mask, grab the leaf blower, open the front door, & have at it. Probably not the most eco-friendly way to do it, but ehhh, the garage is clean, well... was clean, until i started sanding the epoxy/fibergla$$ off the bottom of my kayak i built last winter, after it started hazing.

Nate
Nathan
My '78 Ski Nautique

<a href="http://photobucket.com/Nates78ski" rel="nofoll
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-26-2007 at 8:06pm
I have waited years to do this project. I got myself far behind screwing with that damn bilge. But, I am determined to fight through and finish. I will build some stands. David, I know what you are talking about with the tired arms. While working under the boat my arms were screaming at me to stop. I have to sweep out the garage, let the dust settle for a while, then sweep again every day but I don't mind.
Bill
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 6:27pm
what do the neighbors think, mine complain when the dog barks for more then 10 seconds. Should have seen their faces when I brought my sled home and road it in my back yard at 1 am. I live in a sub by the way, yard not very big but sled is piped and very loud. They don't mind the dog anymore.

Don't get me wrong I like most of my neighbors just not the guy behind me. I said sorry to the others for the loud sled the one night.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-27-2007 at 9:35pm
I have a few acres and the neighbors don't have a clue what is happening in the garage. It is really not a big deal. After sanding I sweep everything up, dump it into a garbage bag, and let the dust settle again. Then wash any surfaces I am working. My neighbor to the west has two go carts that his kids ride around the cul-de-sac and nobody cares.
Bill
bsucics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bsucics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 9:08pm
Wow! What an enjoyable read this evening. Awesome job - it's great to have access to the expertise here!
duckfamily View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote duckfamily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-28-2007 at 10:13pm
There is talk about flipping a boat. I have had my boat at a fiberglass shop all winter he had no trouble flipping it. Check there tool out at www.capsizer.com He also does some awesome work at a reasonable price.
Correct Craft owner for 13 years.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-01-2007 at 5:32pm
Here are a few links on the subject from Wakeboarder.com. Take them for what they are worth, I can't validate the information but there maybe some good ideas present.

Link 1
Link 2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 678910 11>
  Share Topic