Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting 87 SN Floor/Stinger Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 11>
Author
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2007 at 9:33pm
Skibum,are you using pine for the secondary stringers and doug fir for the main stringers?
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2007 at 9:58am
Originally posted by farmer farmer wrote:

Skibum,are you using pine for the secondary stringers and doug fir for the main stringers?

I purchased the wood at a local lumber store. Used the fir 2"x8" for the main stringers. Using #2 pine for the secondaries. Perhaps the same as what came out. The big difference is that I have applied epoxy resin and multiple layers of gla$$ and resin to each individual piece comprising the secondary stringers, then a$$embled them with epoxy and gla$$. I just finished bedding the observer side with 403 filler. The final preparation step will be application of an epoxy resin with fairing compound to smooth out the lines and accentuate the water channels.
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-08-2007 at 5:26pm

This is the final stringer to be installed. Right now it is being weighed down to get a solid bond with the hull. I spent some time chipping, clawing, and scraping away the remaining foam under the bulkhead below the dash where the vents and cables are routed. Not fun. Hope to wrap up the stringer work in the next few days and start on the floor.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 10:12am
The last stringer is installed. It is bonded on a bed of resin and two layers of 10oz gla$$. I used resin and 4" then 8" wide strips along the seams with the hull this morning. Once cured, I'll come back and bead the seam with 403 filler and resin. The picture wont post, I'll try again.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 10:19am

Don't let the appearance deceive you. Although four new, epoxy and gla$$ coated stringers are in place, there is still pleny of work left on the stringers before I can start the floor. Missing lateral pieces, need to adjust height to better facilitate water moving toward the bilge, and some final gla$$ and fairing.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-09-2007 at 9:57pm

Used a level and a hand plane to adjust the height of the secondary stringer so that the stringer is 1/4" lower than the edge of the floor. This will allow water to move toward the bilge once the new floor is complete. The driver side stinger will be cured by morning so I can do the same on that side.
Bill
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 9:59am
Hey Dudes -
    The last few days we've been designing an aircraft repair with thickened resin. I've looked at some manufactures data sheets for fillers . The 403 filler IS cellulose cotton flock , it thickens the resin ,it fills voids ,it Wicks water like your bath towel. It does not add strength or rigidity. It works well for bonding the stiffeners to a fibergla$$ mold. Not suitable for any aircraft application.
    Mil fiber ( ground fibergla$$ ) is the way to go, adds strength, fills the gap when bedding the stringer to the hull. Use it 1 part resin to 1 part mill fiber by weight to make it like peanut butter.
   What's done is done - but maybe this will help in the future.

- waterdog -    
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 8:57pm

Started by cutting a cardboard template to fit in the bilge. Used two pieces of 1/2" plywood. Applied epoxy resin and two layers of 10oz gla$$. When cured I laminated them together with resin and 10oz gla$$. Used a jig saw followed by a drill operated drum sander to make the holes. Set it into the hull on three layers of chopped strand and gla$$ed it into place.

Cleaned up the battery box. Replaced the drain fitting. Used 5200 on the connections at the battery box. Installed new vent hoses. Cleaned the 4" pipe and set everything in place.

Used cup holders as thru hull fittings for the vents. Just cut out the bottom. For each thru hull fitting (thru hull into the bilge) I used epoxy and chopped strand mat inside the holes with epoxy and gla$$ all around.

When I removed the floor to begin construction I found major water saturation in this area. The new bulkhead is much thicker and totally encased in epoxy resin and gla$$. Each hose is clamped, each connection sealed, and every fitting gla$$ed to prevent future problems in this area.

Poured 4lb foam. Started in the bilge area. After several pours I worked my way up into the bulkhead.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-10-2007 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

The 403 filler IS cellulose cotton flock , it thickens the resin ,it fills voids ,it Wicks water like your bath towel. It does not add strength or rigidity.    

Whoops!
Bill
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 7:47am
SkiBum -
The 403 filler info is from the material data sheet.The pictures of the job you are doing ; speak for them selves. You're a craftsman!   
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 9:14am
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

Originally posted by Waterdog Waterdog wrote:

The 403 filler IS cellulose cotton flock , it thickens the resin ,it fills voids ,it Wicks water like your bath towel. It does not add strength or rigidity.    

Whoops!

I certainly wouldnt worry about it- all the strength comes from the gla$$ (mat/cloth + resin) anyways. The thickened resin is doing its job perfectly- bedding the stringers and providing a nice fillet to gla$$ over.

Your work looks terrific. Cant wait to see the final results!
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 1:59pm
Once I sanded the foam I applied a thick layer of resin. Used a layer of chopped strand mat followed by two layers of 10oz gla$$ to repair this area. On top I did the same where I cut two holes to facilitate removal of foam and application of the new stuff.

For the floor under the bow I added more foam and cut a gentle slope from bow toward the bilge to help prevent water from pooling.

Also used the hand plane and level to trim the driver side secondary stringer to the right height.

This is the concept I am using for the floor. The origional floor was several layers of gla$$ and resin over foam.

I am using 3 ply, 1/4" floor under layment. The bottom of the 3 ply is laminated with 10oz gla$$ and resin. All of the edges are saturated with resin. The top of the 3 ply is epoxy resin with chopped strand mat followed by 10oz gla$$. Both the top and bottom are laminated and cured before application.

The floor piece rests on the foam and is bonded to the secondary stringers on an epoxy resin mixed with 2-3 layers of chopped strand mat. Once cured, the edge next to the hull is bonded using 2", 4", then 8" strips of 10oz with epoxy resin. The same for where the floor and the stringer meet.

This will provide a water tight, strong bond between the stringer, floor, and hull.

The piece for under the bow is curing on the bottom right now. Hopefully I can apply the gla$$ to the top tonight and it will be ready for installation in the morning.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 2:14pm
Here is the front where I sanded the foam then applied the layers of gla$$ and resin. There are two repairs on top as well. Also used small strips of gla$$ and resin to make the vents and main pipe that run through the bulkhead water tight. When I put it all back together I will install a rubber boot on the end of that big plastic pipe that will keep water out.

Bill
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 2:49pm
SkiBum
        You do pretty work ! No offence about the filler - just the facts. It’s very difficult to make change without a$$igning blame. I’ve got my motor & trans ready to go in (look under general “ how fast is fast “) I ripped up the carpet & floor to replace the foam . Can’t wait to crank-it. In your profile your Army I was Navy
now silly service w / USMC with all the hours your putting in the Marines would say Sleep is for the Weak. Keep at it !!!
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 3:03pm
Bill, you got the double "s"-$$ thing going on with the file name.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Bill, you got the double "s"-$$ thing going on with the file name.

Thanks Hollywood. I would have beaten my head against the wall for hours on end and still never figured it out.

This is just more of planing the secondary stringers to the correct height. Despite my best efforts I could not yield a precise pattern from the old ones. Anyhow, this is the best way to get the right height .
Bill
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 5:36pm
Bill,

At the risk of being accused of sucking up, You do awesome work. There have been some really great stringer replacement jobs done here in the past but none documented as well as this.

When your all done and rested up maybe you could put together a step by step including photos, materials list, suppliers, etc, I bet Keith would post it in the reference section. That would be invaluable to many that will be faced with your same situation in the future.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 6:58pm

Alan,
This is what the boat looked like when I started. When she looks that good again I'll call this project complete. I try to post only useful photos. I would be happy to put together a summary of the project for others to use as a reference. I learned everything I know from this site. I'll put the photos from the blooper reel in the off topic forum.

Waterdog,
I wish I would have known earlier about the 403 filler. That is good information that people who look to this site need to know. Marines - Army, hell, when the bullets start flying it's all the same: set a base of fire and manuever.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-11-2007 at 9:56pm

A few days ago I applied fairing compound to a mayonase consistency along the stringers. Tonight I spent a couple hours sanding. I did not try to get a finish quality sanding - only to knock down the major bumps for the final application of gla$$.

Then, I layered 10oz gla$$ across the observer main stringer. I also laminated more gla$$ in the channel between stringers on the observer side and up the secondary stringer.

I will follow this with a thicker consistency of resin and fairing compound so I'll be able to achieve a final sanding.

The floor piece for under the bow is laminated on both sides. The top is curing.

I have done a poor job of managing my materials. I find myself, once again, waiting for a shipment. Meanwhile there is always plenty to keep me busy. Very labor intensive projcet.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 2:03pm

This is the floor panel under the dash. Once again I under estimated the difficulty level of what appeared to be a simple operation. I intentionally left a sloping downward curve from the bow to the bilge. This meant I had to use weights on the floor panel while leaving enough room to gla$$ around the edges and do all of this under the bow. To make it funner, I keep the garage temp at 80 deg for the epoxy to cure properly. End state, the floor panel is installed. Alternated chopped strand 2" wide, 10oz 4" wide, and 10oz 8" wide for a good bond. Filleted the edges to keep water from standing at the edges. Also, right at the center of the bow the CC boys randomly sprayed chopped strand creating small humps that would be great for holding water. I removed these clusters, sanded the area, and filleted all the way down to the floor. My philosophy, if you can see it, it can get wet.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 2:22pm

Not much that could be done while the floor under the bow was curing. So I filleted around the bulkhead connections and corners to seal the connections and keep water from standing in 90 deg corners.

Cannot continue on the floor until more foam arrives. Haven't done very good at forecasting my materials requirements. Use the down time to do the little jobs that I hate to do but must be done. For instance, the observer side vent on the bow has a large hole in the bottom of it that allows any water splashed over the bow to go directly to the floor. Another one is applying fairing compound and sanding so I can finish the stringers and bilge. Not very exciting pictures so I wont bore you.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 8:51pm

Besides obscene wakes at slower speeds another symptom the 87 SN displayed before I started this project was excessive vibration. When I removed the carpet I discovered that on the pa$$enger side from the front of the bow back to the front seat the floor was separated from the hull. Both secondary stringers were separated from the hull as well.

When I removed the floor I cut it a safe distance from the hull. Today, I went back and trimmed along the edge of the hull to remove the lip from the floor. The pieces in the foreground are what I cut away. Some foam was still attached. If you look closely you can see the final cut along the hull.

In some places the floor was separating away from the hull already. This is a delicate operation - not much suited for an infantryman. Anyway, I managed not to cut into the hull. I must still sand about a foot up the side of the hull and clean it in preparation of the new floor.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2007 at 9:01pm

This is a photo of the block that connects the main stringer and the secondary stringer. The origional configuration used 1" pine (3/4") that was NAILED onto the stringers.

My recipe calls for a block cut from a 2"x8". The sides sport two layers of 10oz and epoxy. All of the edges are saturated in epoxy. I used multiple layers of chopped strand and epoxy to provide a good bond between the hull, both stringers, and the block. This is followed by 1", 2", 4", and 8" strips of 10oz. In a previous photo you can see how I used filler to eliminate the corners. The filler gets wider at the bottom. This will allow water to flow downward then out the relief holes in the stringer instead of pooling.

One may argue that using a 2" (1-1/2") instead of the 1" (3/4") just means there is more wood to saturate with water. I submit that the 1" stuff fails catastophically whereas the 2" will die a slower death if water finds a way between the floor and hull in the future. Besides, I used up all the 1" stock I had on the secondary stringers.
Bill
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 8:19am

SkiBum,You're making great progress.I'd like to thank you for all the great pictures. They will be a big help to any of us who will go through this process in the future.

Farmer   
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 1:43pm

I know this is not the least bit interesting. I spent a few hours grinding the remainder of the floor off the hull. I followed by sanding the side of the hull for about 10". It will pay dividends when I laminate the new floor onto the hull.

On that matter. I have reconsidered my plan to use the 3 ply sandwiched with gla$$. I spent some time, upside down, under the bow and noticed that the 3 layers of gla$$ on the bulkhead repair are very strong. I am now planning to go with something more like the origional lay up for the floor.

I will start with a layer of chopped strand epoxy mat (stitched not glued). Then a layer of Biaxial with 3/4oz mat sandwhiched between two 17oz bias plies and stitched together. Followed by 10oz E gla$$.

I would still add 2", 4", then 8" 10oz E gla$$ on the edge between the hull and the floor and the stringers and the floor.

As for the piece under the bow with the 3 ply, it can stay as is.
Bill
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 2:28pm
SkiBum, I know Im not the only one who finds this project interesting. Thanks again for contributing your project to this site.

I have performed a floor/string repair on a much smaller scale than yours, documented in this thread, in case you havent seen it. It has a good discussion on my approach to the floor.

I used a method that emulated the original floor construction of gla$$ over foam. Alternating epoxy mat and 6 oz gla$$, it took me 7 layers to build up to the original floor thickness of 1/8". This was by far the least enjoyable part of the whole miserable project. In comparison, the stringer repair and foam pouring were easy- almost enjoyable.

I went through a lot of gla$$ and about 3 gallons of epoxy resin. I would imagine you would use closer to 8-10 gallons. I know if I were replacing the entire floor, I would stick with your original approach of using the wood.

Hopefully someone with much more experience will share their opinion!
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 4:22pm
I read that string before starting my own mess and I have reviewed it several times. It has been very useful in my own project.

Before I even realized the floor was only gla$$ I planned on using 1/2" ply saturated and gla$$ed like in my $20 book on floor replacement. The book, by the way, sucks.

Each stringer consumed a gallon of epoxy resin and yards of gla$$. I shyed away from the all gla$$ floor because of cost. I saved for a year for this project AND an ACME 540 prop and Perfect Pa$$ Digital Pro. I am cutting into my prop and cruise funds already.

The 3 ply wood is less than 1/4" thick and super light weight - as far as wood goes. It readily absorbs the resin and would certainly withstand being a boat floor.

What has brought me full circle to the all gla$$ floor is the repair on the bulkhead. The 4lb foam is strong enough to support a gla$$ floor. Using mat, biaxial (4x thicker than the 10oz gla$$) and finishing with 10oz gla$$ is twice as thick as the bulkhead repair. For cost, in reality, there is not a lot of actual floor, most of it is all bilge.

I still don't have the materials to do anything. Great planning, considering I have a four day weekend.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 4:29pm

I know, another boring photo, sorry. My focus has turned to working on the bilge in preparation of the new floor. I applied a thick layer of fairing compound to the stringers, channel between stringers, and bilge. I intend to eventually produce a smooth as gla$$ bilge where all of the water flows toward the drain plug. Again, an attempt to keep the new floor and stringers dry for more than 20 years this time.

I had planned to hold off so I would not scuff up the bilge while I do the floor. I just can't stand having free time to work on the boat but not get anything done. No better way to use that time than sanding fibergla$$.
Bill
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 4:52pm
Bill, as a guy who'll be doing this project soon, I find it very interesting. Keep the pics coming. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-13-2007 at 10:46pm
I was staring aimlessly at the boat trying to think of what to do next. That is when I realized that I needed to make te braces that are perpendicular to the secondary stringers. I went back to the photos from deconstruction to remember how to put it back together. Thought these were more interesting than photos of sanding.

The floor is gla$$ed over this foam with 1"x2" supports that rest on the foam and are attached to the secondary stringers

The entire front of the floor was no longer attached to the hull from the observer seat foreward.

Remember in my installation I used two 1/2" pieces of plywood lamintated and saturated with resin. In this photo you can see that at the bottom of the hull the entire area is not connected to the hull. Water in the bilge can seep through into the foam below the battery box. And it did!
Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 11>
  Share Topic