Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting 87 SN Floor/Stinger Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 91011
Author
80 Ski-Tique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 6:49pm
Thanks guys, any idea of how many cubic feet it will take to replace what was there? I plan to replace all the floor and foam.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 6:58pm
I also purchased most of my materials for the fiberglass work before I saw Ski Bum's restore. I bought and cannot return matting, resin, hardener and such for polyester resin. If I paint or gelcoat over it will it seal the moisture out? I have always used the polyester stuff, I had no idea it absorbed moisture until reading ski bum's post. Will I be o.k. using this because I don't have the money right now to replace all of it with epoxy based components?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-22-2007 at 7:37pm
Andy, Do some measuring and see if you can calculate the cu, ft. needed. I know the guys who have used the pour foam have needed lots more due to all the waste. keep in mind, that 2lb dencity foam will displace about 60lbs per cu. ft. or 5lbs per board foot so a 300 board foot kit (1500lbs displacment) may do it.

Since you used the polyester, I would give the bilge a coat of epoxy. You could also add a pigment to it and use it as the finish coat.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 6:35pm
Just curious 8122, have you had to replace the stringers or floor in your Tique? Thanks for all the info.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-23-2007 at 6:51pm
Andy, Yes the stringers have been replaced. Also, the boat was not re foamed in the bilge. I really can't say that is any louder ether. There are a couple threads on foaming or not to re foam. I'll do a search and see if I can find them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 1:15pm
80, you can also take the cut-offs and put them in the next compartment and foam over them, you can also mix in peanuts (not Planter's) if your on a budget, start with the peanuts closest to the hull because of thier shapes it will allow some air and also water to drain
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2007 at 2:52pm
Careful with the type of peanuts!! The new "green" ones are made from corn starch and dissolve in water. Just don't foam!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 3:49pm
Pete im with you on the foaming thing, but some prefer it, in the long run it does more damage than good, would i re-foam my own boat? no i wouldnt. if it was an ocean going vessel, yes i would,

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 4:39pm
Well against my better judgement, I have been 3 miles out in the gulf with this boat. Does that classify it as an ocean going vessel now?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80 Ski-Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 4:44pm
The only reason why I wanted to put the foam back in, other than flotation of coarse, was I remember Skibum saying how much more solid the boat felt after he put the foam in.I have heard this from others as well. I have such a lack of storage in the boat that I wanted to add some small compartment under the floor where the foam used to be but the boat was bad about pounding in choppy water before and I certainly don't want to make that worse.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 5:19pm
it depends on the insurance coverage i have too...
Im on lake Erie but really wouldnt take a ski boat on it, i would stay in the rivers or on small lakes and always in site of other boaters, we stuffed some race boats years ago and without the foam i guess they would go to the bottem, i guess it is personal preference.
most times when you remove the foam it is soaked and when you re-foam you are comparing it to a previously soaked boat with all the extra weight it may feel more solid, with new foam the boat is much lighter and maybe a little less stable because of the lack of water weight
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2007 at 7:49pm
I have not seen any change in handling of the BFN since the old foam was removed and the new foma installed. With the exception that it does sit higher in the water.
Buck4U View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buck4U Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-10-2010 at 9:51pm
Hey Guys. Just wanted to let you know that this thread and the ones referenced herein have been a great help. I recently purchased a 1973 Correct Craft Martinique, and am planning on replacing the stringers and floors after this coming season. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 91011
  Share Topic