NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Starting 87 SN Floor/Stinger Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 11>
Author
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starting 87 SN Floor/Stinger Repair
    Posted: December-22-2006 at 10:30pm

I just started my winter project. I cut away the floor of my 87 SN. I removed plenty of foam. Much of it was wet, but not as bad as I suspected. Today I pulled the engine. I hope to start with the observer side main stringer in the morning.

I guess I didn't realize the floor was mostly fibergla$$ over foam. I haven't decided yet how I am going to put it back in place. I am thinking about cutting all of the stringers 1/2" shorter. Then, laminating a 3/8" plywood floor with one layer of epoxy and E-gla$$ on the bottom with two layers laminated on top.

Pulling the engine was a treat. In the end, I had to deflate the observer side tire to get enough clearance with my crane.

Tell me again, why did I start this project?
Bill
http://www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks
www.freewebs.com/billsboatworks 1987 SN Rebuild Project
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-22-2006 at 10:44pm
Bill, that's pretty ambitious starting your project on Christmas weekend. I wish it were me Please post your progress picks. BKH
Livin' the Dream

SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 8:23am
A great military commander once told me that major victories are achieved through audacity tempered with good judgement. I have the audacity part figured out.
Bill
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 8:01pm
It looks like you're a little past the good judgement part. Join the club. Farmer
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 9:09pm

You have to look hard. Everything in the garage has a light coating of fine white fibergla$$ dust.

Turns out it is very difficult to remove a stringer. I remember somebody posted that theirs came out like "butta". No such luck here. I am now over budget and behind on this project and it is only day three.

I managed to prep the hull for the new stringer. It took longer than expected to reproduce the stringer on a new 2"x8". I still have to create the bevel then fine tune the fit.
Bill
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 9:13pm
SkiBum, while you're in there this far I'd go ahead and re-anchor the main support that your ski pole is bolted to since your new stringers stop aft of that point. Here's what I did. Remove each lag bolt one by one. Mix up some epoxy and put it in a squeeze bottle or syringe. Squirt the epoxy in each whole and then quickly replace the lag bolt before the glue has a chance to leak out. I used a piece of cotton ball to put over the whole before replacing the bolt in harder to reach places.
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 9:18pm
The SN has an aluminum engine cradle that also holds the pylon. The pylon is wedged between two aluminum beams and secured at the hull inside a receiver and tightened using two "U" bolts. This cradle will be instrumental in the proper positioning and alignment of the new stringers.
Bill
nuttyskier2002 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nuttyskier2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-23-2006 at 10:07pm
Okay, I see in your pic what you are talking about. When I first looked at your pic at the top I thought I was seeing where your old stringer stopped and the new one begain. I realize now that that is the aluminum angle iron pieces of the cradle secured to the new stringers. That looks like a much better way to build a boat than the way that Ski Centurion does it. What does CC use to secure the cradle to the stringers?
95 Malibu Echelon w/Mercruiser 350 Magnum Skier

Former boats:
88 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II
59 Chris Craft Capri (woody)
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-24-2006 at 1:09pm

The engine cradle is held on with lag bolts in the main stringers. Once I replace the stringers I will prep the engine cradle by cleaning and polishing it. Then, I will laminate it onto the stringers with epoxy resin and bolt it into place.

I just finished fine tuning the observer side stringer. I will apply two layers of E-gla$$ with epoxy resin on each side tonight.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 11:15am

I set the observer side stringer this morning. Applied a thick layer of epoxy resin, then two layers of 9oz E-gla$$. I rolled out all the air, layered more epoxy, then set the stringer on the hull. I used the aluminum motor frame to make sure everything lined up properly. Then weighed it all down to hold it in place.

Bill
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 11:19am
SkiBum, where are you going to get new combing pad clips? Those damn double-barb things are hard to find!
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 11:25am
I plan to go with a more seamless appearance, like the newer models. Wasn't even going to use them again. I am also in the process of converting my motor box to a clamshell.

Bill
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 11:30am
I have found them online, in gross quantities however. I drive by ITW Fastex on my way to work, they apparently make these "double ended xmas tree" clips. Hopefully I can stop in one of these days and pick up a bunch.

Are you going to retain the original height of the motorbox? Might want to think about getting it up an inch or so to make room for some bolt-ons if you're going through the trouble.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 11:52am
Good idea. Not much trouble really...compared to replacing a main stringer. I planned on a stringer a day. What a joke.
Bill
hasbeenskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hasbeenskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 7:09pm
I do not think I will ever live down the "butta" comment and it will never happen again.
Oh yeah, forget the word budget and practice the acronym B.O.A.T. (Break out another thousand!)
hasbeenskier
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 8:09pm
Are you the one that said "butta"? Don't worry about it. Mine was more like pulling a twisted molar without anesthetic. It would have been nice to just pour a stringer. Cutting, shaping, and carving one is no fun at all. Just hope all this expense doesn't cut into my Perfect Pa$$ funds.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-01-2007 at 6:27pm

I finished cutting and shaping the driver side main stringer today. I am laminating it tonight and hope to install it in the morning. The boat looks more like a boat with both of these installed.
Bill
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 9:58am
SkiBum, please tell me you're keeping the templates/measurements you used to shape those stringers.
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-02-2007 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

SkiBum, please tell me you're keeping the templates/measurements you used to shape those stringers.

Would you settle for a lie? I used the observer side stringer to make a "rough" cutout of the origional. Several problems: The origionals are covered in varying amounts of gla$$, they don't come out in a template friendly condition. Spent most of the time using a hand plane to shape the bottom of the stringer to ensure a good bond with the hull. Then, I used the untouched driver side stringer, a straight edge, and a dial caliper to make the fine adjustments to the new stringer. Then used a hand plane and belt sander to bring it to a very accurate match.

Now that the observer side stringer was a very accurate duplicate of the origional I pulled the driver side stringer. Then, same process using the new observer side stringer for accurate measurements.

Bottom line, I don't have any templates.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-03-2007 at 6:18pm

Now there are two new main stringers in the hull of my 87SN. They will get a little more sculpting before the final application of gla$$ and epoxy.   Next step, remove and replace the secondary stringers.

Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 9:19pm

Removed the secondary stringer from the observer side today. It was much easier than the larger main stringers. Found plenty of rotten wood. Had enough to make a template. Cut out new pieces. Waiting for my shipment of epoxy to arrive so I can laminate the peices together and install them. Getting closer.
Bill
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2007 at 9:56pm
Taking notes. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2007 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by SkiBum SkiBum wrote:

Tell me again, why did I start this project?

Because it's a Correct Craft!

Ken
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2007 at 6:44pm
Just finished cutting out all of the pieces to make the secondary stringer for the observer side. UPS showed up with my resupply of resin and gla$$ with some West 403 Micro Fibers. Formed shallow channels where the water can pa$$ through at the engine area and the stern. Plan to bed the main stringer and laminate the sub stringer in the morning. Should have some pics then.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2007 at 5:06pm

This is the observer side secondary stringer. This thing is made from no less than 12 pieces of wood. I laminated each piece with epoxy resin and 9oz fiber gla$$, then used epoxy resin and gla$$ to laminate all of the pieces together. The origional has two 1/2" plywood spacers at the end. The void between the two main pieces of wood is filled with foam. I laminated additional spacers in two places to prevent the stringer from bowing when I add foam. Even with all of this epoxy and gla$$ the new stringer is 10x lighter than the old soggy one.

This photo shows all of the pieces that were eventually epoxied, gla$$ed, and laminated to make the stringer. In the background is the old, rotten stringer.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2007 at 5:17pm

I used the West 403 micro fibers to fillet the base of stringer onto the hull. You might be able to notice that where the hole is cut in the stringer to allow water to flow back into the hull I formed a shallow channel. On the final faring and sanding application I will be sure to leave free flowing channels so the water does not pool in the space between the stringers. Less exposure to water, less chance of water getting back into the wood and foam.

Bill
boat dr View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boat dr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2007 at 5:47pm
Bill, some people do drugs ,some people chase whores ,don't really matter we all have our vices.Mine has to do with old boats,it ain't any cheaper,just keeps me at home at nite,and the S.O. knows where i'm at, working on that old boat.
Your doing a great job,the biggest resto you can do on a boat ,and when finished nobody will see it. What a bummer,it's kinda like peeing in a dark suit;it gives you a warm feeling ,but nobody notices...............boat dr
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2007 at 7:56pm
You certainly have a way with words. Thanks...I think.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2007 at 4:36pm

This is the observer side stringer installed. It is seated in resin and 403 filler with 4" and 8" strips of 10oz gla$$ laminating it onto the hull. Once dry I'll fillet along the base of the stringer with the hull. Time to start cutting out the driver side secondary stringer.
Bill
SkiBum View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkiBum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2007 at 7:00pm

This is what I was able to remove from the boat that was large enough to not fit in the vacuum nozzle. Pretty much all soaked and rotten. This stuff would have laughed off the Rot Doctor. Only fix...replacement.
Bill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 11>
  Share Topic