Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

mustang #1 pictures

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
Author
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mustang #1 pictures
    Posted: December-09-2006 at 10:16pm

Just thought I'd upload a couple of pictures that were lost during the server change.

These pictures were the day I brought it home.Pretty nasty huh?

Watch your fingers.

bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2006 at 12:10am
Looks like a good project. Everything's there. Have fun. BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2006 at 1:23am
Speaking of having fun.................hows it goin' Brian? Denese and the little one doing ok?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Randy_in_Ohio View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2006 at 10:26am
farmer - that should be a nice winter project... I love the old Mustangs, what a cla$$ic! keep us updated with pics of your progress. I think a good cleaning would make a huge difference. it looks like it was left in the water. When i got mine i tried everything to clean the hull (muriatic acid, hull cleaner, etc.) found that Purple Power worked the best worked great cleaning the bilge too. $9.99 for 2.5 gal. at Autozone. Good Stuff!

BTW- next time you post pics try hitting the enter button after each pic post. when you put each pic post on it's own line it will stack them vertically instead of side-by-side. makes it a little easier to browse through. trying to help...

Brian- hope your getting some sleep over there!    

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-10-2006 at 7:32pm
Randy, thanks for the tip. I'll try it next time. I have more up to date pictures of my progress and also of the rigging I used to turn the boat over if anyone is interested. thanks again   Farmer
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 11:04am
Turn the boat over??? How Why??
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-11-2006 at 4:34pm
I had to go into the next room to finish reading those posts, what happened?? nice boat, nice lines
"the things you own will start to own you"
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2006 at 12:10pm
Randy in Ohio Here are a couple of pics of the gelcoat below the waterline. The entire bottom is like this so I felt the easiest way to work on it was to turn the boat over. Does anyone have any experience with gelcoat in this condition? Farmer

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2006 at 12:15pm
Help. why did the text stretch out so far past the pictures? Farmer
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2006 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by farmer farmer wrote:

Help. why did the text stretch out so far past the pictures? Farmer

That's an easy one, your pics in the first post are all on the same line so they dictate the frame of the post window for all subsequent posts. All you have to do is put a carriage return(enter key) after each Picture when you're uploading them and the pics will line up vertically stacked shortening the window width. So your problem is not with the last post you made but with the first. I hope that makes sense
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2006 at 12:54pm
Thanks.If I post anyhting else I'll start a new topic Farmer
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 9:08am
You got yourself a quit a project there. All complete, but you should consider removing all the gelcoat via grinding and painting the hull. Or, you can re-apply gelcoat if you are up to all the sanding involved.

Good luck and keep us updated.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy_in_Ohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 10:40am
Farmer-

I see now why you turned it over. Man, that looks like a lot of work. also seen the rig you used to flip it. pretty slick.

Keep posting pics of your progress.

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 7:01pm
David,do you have any experience with gelcoat removal etc?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 8:48pm
You could say DavidF has a little bit of experience on the subject.

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 9:09pm
...and the 7 series in the garage shows that this guy doesn't fool around.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-19-2006 at 9:52pm
DavidF. That looks beautiful. Is that gelcoat or paint?
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-20-2006 at 8:17am
Its gel- DavidF doesnt mess around!
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2006 at 7:44pm
Hi everybody. I just realized I could edit my picture post after the fact to arrange them vertically. Duh....

Farmer
David F View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-28-2006 at 9:27am
Originally posted by farmer farmer wrote:

David,do you have any experience with gelcoat removal etc?

Yes, just a bit of experience The easiest way to remove the gelcoat is with a 4" or 4.5" grinder with a 36 grit pad. Do not be tempted to use a 7" grinder as it does not work nearly as well and the extra weight will wear you out more than twice as fast.

When you get down to the fibergla$$, you could switch to a 7" grinder to help even out the fibergla$$ surface. You will then have to fair (fare?) the entire hull. Bondo is fine for fairing, or you can use thickened epoxy which is what I used as evident in the pictures above.

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2007 at 8:35pm
Finally got to putting the epoxy bottom on my mustang.It took a long time to fair the bottom. I made the mistake of knocking off the edges because the fiberglass looked like it had crystallized and was brittle.DO NOT DO THAT.It would have been much better to leave the edges and just cover them with the epoxy.

farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2008 at 12:22am
Thought I'd repost the pictures that were lost.
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 12:55am

Well here we are almost a year later and I finally got back at the Mustang.I'm in the process of sanding the epoxy bottom. The epoxy did not cure smoothly. It feels and looks like an eggshell texture. I don't know if it's something I did or what. So,I'm sanding with 80 grit(had to do it anyway for the bottom paint) I'm using the Interlux VC hard bottom paint with teflon.It comes in white so I'm hoping it won't be too noticeable that low on the sides.

I still have to get all the old sealer out of the strut pocket so the base fits flush. I took off more thickness than I put back with the epoxy. Was it Lifetime caulk that some of you have used with good results?   Farmer
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2008 at 12:06pm
Lifetime or 3M 5200 will both do the job as a sealant, the 5200 is a better adhesive but that is not always a good thing.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 12:15am

You're right,I should plan ahead alittle and use the lifetime in case I need to re-bush anything.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 7:23am
Gary, I would go with the 5200 just because of it's adhesive qualities. Re bushing can be easily done on the boat. If you ever do need to remove the strut, that's a easy one too especially with the non recessed base type strut. Hot wiring works great. A piece of nichrome wire or even stainless mig wire hooked to a car battery cuts right through the 5200.

Since you removed more thickness on the bottom than what you put back on, you may need to add some stainless flat washers under the strut so the shaft bore in the strut will line up with the hole and log in the bottom of the hull. That's another good reason to go with the 5200. If the strut if off more than 1 thickness of a flat washer, I have used thickened epoxy under the strut to build up a base. Use a piece of wax paper when bolting the strut down into the epoxy so it doesn't stick.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
farmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 9:11am

Pete,the base of this strut fits flush with the bottom of the boat.I just looked at the picture and realized that it doesn't look that way but there is a recessed area that the base fits into. So the alignment shouldn't be affected. would you still use the 5200 ?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 9:28am
Gary, I would because I really like the 5200 and it's sealing. I worry about removal later! The recess I'm reffering to is the new boats where the whole strut base sits in a pocket molded in the bottom of the hull. If you can't get a hot wire under a strut, a torch can be used to heat the strut. I seem to remember that it only takes about 200 degrees to soften the 5200. That temp will not affect the temper of the bronze strut.

Did you catch my post about using a hard plastic bushing in place of the rubber cutlass as a temp means of using the prop shaft to line up the strut with the hole and log in the hull?

Edit: I do see the recess now! Don't count on it being the same. Do check the strut to the hole alignment.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 2:11pm
Pete, would there be any harm in using 4200 instead? That would be easier to remove (someday) and still seal as well, correct?
82wake2001 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 82wake2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-28-2008 at 4:48pm
wow that is amazing Farmer.....wish i had those skills ....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 4>
  Share Topic