NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your first Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 11>
Author
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your first Boat
    Posted: November-10-2006 at 11:46pm
I thought someone started this topic once before, but I could not find it. Would be great to see pics of your first boats. Here are some from my family. BKH

Dad's first boat. Photo Circa 1960.

Dad's first inboard. 1958 Trojan Sea Bee. Photo Circa 1970.

Grandad's shiny new Corsair. The first fibergla$$ boat in the family. Photo Circa 1966.

BKH' First Boat. 1956 Rockholt. Bought when I was 14. Skied behind it whenever I could through high school. Sat in my parents yard neglected while I went off to college and started my career. Couldn't bring myself to junk it so I rebuilt it when I was 30. The original Mercury engine didn't make it through the restoration. Used it a few times to cruise around the reservoir and gave it to my brother. Bought my first Ski Nautique.
Livin' the Dream

eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 7:35am
those boats steam powerered? actually im reviving some long gone brain cells, my first boat was a 1972 century with a 1:1 v-drive, I may have some pics. around,
what killed the boat is we left the top part of the rear seat out and we had a tube on the back deck and at full speed the line fell between the seat and i never ever seen a rope get sucked into something so fast and it even sucked the tube and popped it, then it stalled the engine. luckily nobody was caught in the line, we failed to winterize that year and that was the end of it
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 7:59am
my old boss had a 1956 or so sheppard with that curved windshield and we had to hall it up into Michigan, so we loaded it on a lowboy trailer with the stern forward, guess what happened when we hit 65.... no more wind shield, try finding gla$$ for that boat, luckily i wasnt the one responsible for that nightmare
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 2:12pm
this is a picture of the boat we use to run for endurance records, it was a 46ft Cougar out of england with 3 3196 Caterpillar truck engines turned up to 900hp each, we ran 900 gallons of fuel and have 3 records with the boat. if you notice from the bottem of the transom to the water is about 25 feet. One of the records we still hold to this day is from Toledo Ohio to Buffalo N.Y 3 hour 53 minutes we averaged 68 miles an hour in 6 footers with a top speed of 96
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 2:15pm

Yeah, it's a Bayliner. At least it is not a Master Craft.
It wouldn't be that hard if the balls weren't so far apart and the boat wasn't going so damn fast!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 2:21pm
Shortline, I just winterized a 17.5 bayliner and I'll tell you what, they came a long way, the boat is built very well in my opinion
Eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 2:48pm
Eric, No steam power, but I tell you we did have to use some pretty big skis to get up behind those little outboards.

If the triple was your first boat, you were apparently playing in a different economic realm than I was.

Shortline, it's all good. Whatever gets you addicted to the water. Maybe not the highest quality boats in the world, but for what you pay for them, you can get a lot of fun/$/Hr out of those Bayliners.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 2:53pm
At least that BL doesn't look like it has a force outboard on it those where the worse, we played hell trying to keep my buddie's running on a regular bases, the damn thing just didn't like to be stored or sit for long periods of time I guess.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 2:58pm
79 my nephew has the bl with the force, nothing but a pita
BK, i was the grease monkey for the boat I coulndnt even afford to fill her up at the time
Shortline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shortline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 3:03pm
The Bayliner is sporting a Force 125. It was a great first boat for the family and a decent ski boat. The folks we sold it to still enjoy it to this day.
It wouldn't be that hard if the balls weren't so far apart and the boat wasn't going so damn fast!
79nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 3:35pm
most of those force motors didn't last long glad to hear you got your moneys worth, my buddy had nothing but problems with his.
scott8370 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott8370 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 4:54pm
My first boat was a 71 or 72 ( I can't remember) CC Skier. Very fun,and fast, but a little too small. People always flocked around that boat. I noticed many of you guys have been boating all your lives. My family never had a boat when we were young. We loved the water though. In fact, I'm the only one in my Family that has boats.
Scott
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 5:36pm
Here we go. Day of delivery. I had to dig back pretty far for this one, boy, those were the days.
The Lake View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Lake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 7:37pm
Here are two pictures of the first boat we had as a kid; a woody built by my dad. It was first powered by a 35 Evenrude, then a 60 Gale. We used the boat from the time I was 2 until until 1969 or 70, about 12 years. He still has the plans for it, and I was considereing "rebuilding" it, but bought our SN instead.

The "cabin" shown in one of the pictures is at the Lake of the Ozarks and is still in our family today; it looks quite a bit different now. In the back of the first picture is a pontoon boat that dad also built.

Chuck
Walk on Water
www.coldwater.me

69 Ski Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 8:31pm
Well, Joel we can't all start from the top.

Chuck, nice pics. I love the black and white photos. Makes them look even more cla$$ic than they are. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-11-2006 at 11:03pm
bk: great thread idea.
chuck: like the vintage photos.
Dude's first boat:

I'm not even sure what it was. plywood. Bought a 75 hp merc (1964 I believe) off some guy and threw it on the back. We could ski behind it only at about 28 mph max.
Next boat (I'll have to look for pix) was 78 bayliner with gm 350 in it. Volvo Penta out drive. I've skied behind a lot of bayliners. I'd take a mc any day over any of them.
Next boat:

87 Supra Saltare. 454 pcm. That was a beast.
I spent a lot of hours working on that thing. I started thinking about a boat without wood in the flooring...read a lot about CCs. Loved the company history and comittments, loved the quality. Bought one. Will never go back.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
gn6027 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gn6027 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2006 at 8:48am
My first boat is my '87 Ski Nautique, but my Dad's first boat was one he made out of wood. He planned to put two 30 hp Johnson outboards on it, but the guy wouldn't sell him both of them because he was worried that it would be too much power for the boat. My Dad thinks that his Dad talked to the Marina, and told him NOT to sell the two engines. Again, concern for safety.

My Dad's boat was probably a 14-15 foot plywood job. He built it back in the mid-50's after he graduated from GMI. I never saw the boat in person, and it had to be sold when my sister was born.

My Dad took my Mom on her first date in that boat... 46+ years later, they are still going strong.

In the mid-70's, my Dad bought a 16' Renken tri-hull with a 70 hp Johnson. It barely pulled my Dad out of the water. We skied a ton behind this boat. A couple of years after we bought it, the 70 hp was pulled and we put a 110 hp Johnson. That was alot of motor for that little boat.

I don't have any pics of my Dad's first boat, but if I can get some, I'll post.
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2006 at 11:10pm
Hey Dude....were you living in that boat at the time???
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-12-2006 at 11:44pm
Great post.

gn6027; Remember your Dad's boat of course. Remember you as a kid in it. Always loved that hot lookin' ride you have now.

Dude: Why are you hiding that great head of hair under that weak hat? I agree with Mark, looks as tho you were livin' in her.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2006 at 8:39am
My dads first boat, a 14 or 15 foot thompson. Had it late 50s to early 60s. This isn't it but it was like this, but had a 35 or 40 HP Evinrude. And had the original wood bench seat, not funky seats like this one.

My dads second boat. An early 60's Hiliner. Again, this isn't it but it was like this, except had a 75 HP then a 90 HP Evinrude. I learned to ski behind it. No photos of these first two boats, but I do have some old 16 mm home movies of them which are fun to have.

My dads third boat. 1966 Mustang, 289 CID, 165 HP Interceptor.

My first boat. 1981. Early to mid 70s Taylor SS jet. 455 olds. Slick boat but trouble keepingit running

My second boat was a new (1983) Baja 16SS with a 115 Johnson. No picture.

My third boat (still have it) 1989 Supra. Bought in 1996.

My fourth boat. 1976 Ski tique. Bought in 2004.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2006 at 12:36pm
Nice pics. With the number of 40 and 50 somethings on this site, I imagine we'll get some great old black and white photos. Cool stuff. BKH
Livin' the Dream

M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2006 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

Nice pics. With the number of 40 and 50 somethings on this site, I imagine we'll get some great old black and white photos. Cool stuff. BKH

Hey, back in the days of my picture, we only had 3.2 Megapixels, and that was good in those days even though it may as well be black and white. Maybe if I had the camera in black and white mode...
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2006 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by M3Fan M3Fan wrote:

Originally posted by bkhallpa$$ bkhallpa$$ wrote:

Hey, back in the days of my picture, we only had 3.2 Megapixels, and that was good in those days even though it may as well be black and white. Maybe if I had the camera in black and white mode...

You "kids" and them newfangled gadgets. Heck, I don't even own a camera, much less digital. I leave all that technical stuff to the wife. BKH
Livin' the Dream

The Dude View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 12:01am
Originally posted by MaddMarxx MaddMarxx wrote:

Hey Dude....were you living in that boat at the time???
Ha!
MM: I lived in that boat a lot of days and nights that summer. Mrs. Dude hated it. She was pregnant and says it's the only boat we've had she never skied behind. I owned it with a buddy that actually did live in a VW bus for 2 years. He finally got tired of the cops chasing him out of his parking spots.
jbear: that was pre 93.
Mullet Free since 93
95 Sport
MaddMarxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaddMarxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 12:37am
Nice pics.. 75tique.. in the 3rd pic.. is that you in the back seat with the speedo on??
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 10:33am
My first boat was the 66 Mustang, which now bits and pieces of it are all over the country.

My Dads first was
1966 Larson Volero 100 hp merc
2nd. '69 Larson Volero 125 hp merc
3rd. '70 Mark Twain 18' 200 hp w/#2 drive
4th. '75 Mark Twain 18' 888

I'll try diggin out some old pics.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 11:20am
Great thread.

My Dad and I shared boats growing up. I used to mow lawns and saved up money to help pay for the boat, gas, repairs, etc.

1. Sears Gamefisher - 12' with 8HP Evinrude
2. Glastron Tri Hull - 15' with 80HP Merc
3. Ski Nautique '80 - my first purchase
4. Aluminum Boat - 12' with 3HP Gamefisher
5. Ski Nautique'86 - my second purchase
6. My next boat - '99 Nautique

Oh, can't forget my Calstar rubber raft for my pool. It was a Caldor brand, two seater.

Ken
M3Fan View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 12:01pm
Ken, there's a nice 99 SNOB for sale in Indiana on boattrader.com. Just a heads up.
Nautique2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautique2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 12:32pm
Thanks, Joel. I'll take a look.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2006 at 12:38pm
Sounds like some great old boats. Let's see some pics guys. Takes about 30 seconds to scan them in at Walmart, Longs, whatever, and save them to a disk. BKH
Livin' the Dream

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 11>
  Share Topic