NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Your first Boat

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011>
Author
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 12:20am
I was kidding him eric...even I know what a whaler looks like.

Looks like you got your work cut out for yourself on the Atom. But it is gonna be cool when you get her done!

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

AdamT sez "I'm Canadian and a beaver lover myself"...
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 1:29am
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

Hey hugh Hefner

Good one Eric
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-30-2008 at 2:54am
Not much better boats out there than Whaler's Terp. Doesn't matter what brand your first boat - that' the point. Post em up guys and gals and let's hear the story about what got your started in boating.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 3:59pm
Thought I'd throw these up. My first boat (besides the ones my parents had) is a 93 Hydrodyne. owned since 95, 900 hrs on the 350 Magnum and still going strong.
On my way to Cherokee Lake at the Bean Station overlook.

And here in the water with overlook in the background.

👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Former Owner: 93 Hydrodyne 350 MAG
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 4:06pm
One of the Neighbors has a Dyne like yours. Seems like a very beefy boat.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 4:28pm
Nice Dyne. I've always liked those boats.

This picture was taken in 1988, the year I bought this boat. It is a 14' Lund with a Johnson 9.9. I bought it for fishing and as a work boat, but it became our teaching boat. Over the years we've probably taught 20 kids to ski behind this, even slalom deep water starts for those that learned while they were still small.

This pic is of the kids we call Group A. They were our first victims. They are all approaching 30 now and are starting the next generation for us to teach. These kids were great. They all learned to ski that year. The ages were from left to right, 9,8,6 & 7. Everytime the 6 yo would fall, she'd come up and say "that was fun, can I try it again".

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 4:53pm
I like to think of the 90s Hydrodynes as the Sangers of the Midwest. Similarly shaped hull, few models, simple interior, classic styling, Mercruisers (then PCMs for the Hydrodynes), and lots of teal and pink!

I think they would put out a decent wake for barefooting. There are a few on our lakes, and seemed to have outlasted the MCs and Malibus of those years.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 4:58pm
Learned behind a similar boat myself Riley. Seemed like plenty of power when I was 5 years old. BKH
Livin' the Dream

86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I like to think of the 90s Hydrodynes as the Sangers of the Midwest. Similarly shaped hull, few models, simple interior, classic styling, Mercruisers (then PCMs for the Hydrodynes), and lots of teal and pink!

I think they would put out a decent wake for barefooting. There are a few on our lakes, and seemed to have outlasted the MCs and Malibus of those years.

Three on my lake. They do put out a decent footin' wake. Just a little turbulence on top the table. I've probably taught a 100 kids to ski with this boat and many footers. It's really to bad the company didn't make it
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 9:50pm
There are two just across the cove from me. They're owned by brothers. I think one of them was a distributor for them.

I heard somewhere that Hydrodyne bought the molds from Colbalt. They had tried their hand in the tourney boat business in the early 80's.

They seem to bring about the same money as other non CC/MC boats, but their outboards are few and far between and bring top dollar.
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 10:01pm
There's an old 60's IO model not to far from me for sale. it's really cool looking with fins.
I missed a deal on a low hr open bow last summer in KY. it listed a 406cu.in. not sure what that would be.
I learned to ski behind an old Hydrodyne v-hull deck boat with a V4 in it when I was 8.
That was a cool boat, that thing would lean like all get out in the turns. I use to scare a lot of people with that as a teenager. LOL Ahh those were the days...
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I heard somewhere that Hydrodyne bought the molds from Colbalt. They had tried their hand in the tourney boat business in the early 80's.

I dont believe this to be true. Cobalt's 202CS and 203CS were the tournament style inboards and were introduced in 1998. I believe they were only made for 2 years.

If anything, it would make more sense that Cobalt bought the Hydrodyne mold.
BKH
Livin' the Dream

86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2009 at 10:50pm
I heard at one time who bought the molds but I do not recall who it was. My fiberglass/gel coat man would know. I'll ask him next time I see him.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 2:34am
So which one is you Steve?

Funny to see a boat at the Bean Station overlook. I have stopped there countless times as it is between our place on Norris and my son's house in Morristown. Liked the shot in the water with the overlook in the background...never seen it from that view. Bet you have stopped at Colboch (sp?) Harley.

That is some beautiful country ain't it?

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 2:50am
I'm in the water taking the picture. those are my buds. Yes beautiful country. I try an make it down there one a year. Rent a nice cabin on Cherokee. Had lunch in morristown one day. went to the Harley shop in knoxville. allways stop at bean station and look at the lake. usually go to Bristol. been on south holston many times. Douglas, Dale Hollow, Larel River Lake a few times. All Good, that Hydrodyne's been around. Love the Eagle trailer.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 3:03am
No wonder I didn't recognize you!

Ever been on Norris? My brother will kill me but...Norris is by far the best. We have been going there since '76 and our club has been there in July since '72. Do you go the same time every year and when would that be?

Guy in our club, Randy Bodis (for my brother if he is lurking) has one of those inboard Dynes. Nice boat..seems very stout. Never have drove or skied it tho.

Been to the Knoxville dealer many a time. Colboch is the dealer on rt 25 heading towards Morristown coming down the mountain from the overlook.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 10:01am
Never been on Norris. been to it and over the dam. My sister went last year and rented a floating house, had a good time. I heard it is getting over run with power boats. I try and hit the most remote locations. Better footin. I usually go the same week as the race in Bristol,last week of August, but will have to change plans this year. not sure I'll make it at all. Daughter starting college this fall. posted more pics in "what else interest you" pages 1 & 2.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 10:30am
More shots from above. I'm on the left.
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 10:33am
More shots from above. I'm on the left. (after driving all night)

Here's my rig!

👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 11:41am
That Dyne,(along with old CCs old MCs (admittedly probably my favorite) has great lines. I like the old straight lines of the older boats a lot more than the curvy lines of the new boats (not that the new boats arent nice, I'm not dissing any of your new boats) First I/Os went with that chlorox bottle look, and then the ski boats did. Now really, what boat below has the "sweeter" lines?
86BFN View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86BFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 12:56pm
Yes I agree 75. Also feel the same way about trucks. Hopefully there enough vintage stuff out there to get me to end! LOL or at least until they outlaw the internal combustion engine and stop making gasoline! BIG LOL
👣 Steve
86 Barefoot Nautique

89 Martinique
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-06-2009 at 4:58pm
Larry, there used to be a guy named Tom Fexas that wrote a short, really insightful and funny commentary page about boating in Power and Motor Yacht. He was a naval arcitech and refered to boats with curvy lines that have taken over the boating world as blob boats.
jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 3:13am
Nice pictures Steve, altho you do look a little rough after the drive! Bet you guys are glad to hit the overlook and see the lake after the overnight drive. The pictures remind me how pretty it is in Tennessee. Can't wait to get back there.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

nautiless View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautiless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-07-2009 at 9:57am
This is my Dad's boat.

18.6 Interceptor, 130 Yamaha V4 2 Stroke. Locally produced in SA. A fantastic all rounder for the family. Ok for a casual ski but great on the lake to catch fish....many a big one landed on this one.

1982 SN 2001 RIP (Resto in Progress)

Don's Diary

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2009 at 11:12pm
Thought I would bring this thread back to the top, now that winter tends to slow down the boating conversations.

We've had a lot of new members join this summer. Would be great to see photos of your first boat, and to hear your stories about what got you started with this obsession.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

kapla View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kapla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 8:06pm
oops I will try to scan some old pics of our family´s firts boat..It was a local manufactured boat called Regnicoli Albacora wich was fitted with a Jonsohn 175hp outboard engine...it was an 81 model bought it the mid eighties and I sold it back in 1997...
It was a great boat..handled very well and good for power turns and also for turning in tight spaces!!!
being a 2 strokes it liked to drink a lot of gas and oil!!!
<a href="">1992 ski nautique
peter1234 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter1234 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2009 at 11:41pm
my first was a early to mid 70s slick craft 460 ford .jet (not a berkley) wonder what it was? , it turned like my 37 ford , blew engines like a ford (cant take the pounding like a bbc) we were always on the hunt for lincoln continentals, I think i still have a set of 428 cj heads from it somewhere, those were the days run em an hr work on them for 30 more
former skylark owner now a formula but I cant let this place go
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2010 at 2:10pm
Pete1234,   I've always liked the SlickCrafts.   They did have a similar look to some of the CC models.

The first CC I drove was a 2yr old 1975 Martinique.
The first Ski Nautique I drove was a 3yr old 1974 which is the same one I now own.
The first CC I skied behind was a new '78 Southwind 20.

AT
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-06-2010 at 4:46pm
Hey Al, thanks for bringing this thread back to the top. We've had a lot of new member join the site, and it's fun to see the old pics and hear what got folks into boating.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

jbear View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-07-2010 at 12:09am
My brother had a Slickcraft in 1969 I think. Very nice looking boat. Wish I had a picture of it. Shortly after buying it he found Correct Crafts and the rest as they say is history.

john
"Loud pipes save lives"

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 7891011>
  Share Topic