NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boat Restore

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat Restore
    Posted: July-12-2022 at 9:12am
I know you guys like seeing projects. Hey, we like bowtz

threw some pictures of my RCB project on the BoS

I'll take any questions if it helps anyone out
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2022 at 11:37am
nice restore. 

'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2022 at 8:57pm
QUOTE “I should have something uniquely custom to my uses, for 16.5 counting all expenditures.”  Plus 700 man hours!!!! 
You must REALLY, REALLY like this model boat.
wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2022 at 10:52pm
So are the stringers, bilge floor, and driveshaft hump an insert that is glued and or fiberglassed to the hull, with the floor being an all fiberglass pan that is bonded to the hullsides and the insert ? ( looks like an insert)

Are there 2 stern tubes and packing glands or is the hump wet ?

Did you add drains from the underfloor to the bilge ?

I ran thru the pictures pretty quick but will read the thread for more details.

You did a fantastic job restoring and upgrading your boat, some real craftmanship,
Worth every penny and minute you put in.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 8:05am
Yeah Paul huh!

I've had some many sessions on a friend's '99,  and long determined  to have/make one, they ski well, when not soggypants

Looks like i mistyped, im 15.6 in for everything, 7 for the boat, 8.6 in parts and materials.   but, may have to get a cover if this original one doesn't waterproof well. I may be back to 16.5!

the floor is some composite that i don't recognize, and yes, bonded to the hull sides and a rabbit molded into the stringer system 

No, i did not undercut the stringer for drainage outside the stringer.   If proves needed,  think i can can add two more  brass bungs in the stern

Yes Dan, the stringers are a separate molding, like a small upside down boat, in the boat, and bonded to the hull.  the stringer boxes are hollow, and are also built in ducting of fresh air both in and out of the motor box, with two grills fore, and two aft in the motor box area.

the hardware for the engine mounts, are all accessible in the stringer , when one unscrews the air grates.

All the control cables, battery cables, heater hoses and wire harness also run in the stringer cavity, for a real clean layout.
They call that the HDS box, and it stays wet inside.  there is actually no sealant on the bolts for the strut!

I had a diagram, cant find it now.

It may be in service next week!

thank you both!!

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 8:45am

River Rat to Mole
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 10:00am
Ahh, I was wondering what all the talk about an HDS box was on your build thread, now I know.
Nice job, hope she runs good for you for a long time.Thumbs Up
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 10:25am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

Looks like i mistyped, im 15.6 in for everything, 7 for the boat, 8.6 in parts and materials.   

Whew! For a second there I thought you might be $900 upside down...

(just kidding)

Looks very nice.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 11:03am
heh, yeah! good thing i dont charge myself shop rate!

well cared for examples are asking for 22-23 nowadays.   it was a fun winter/spring project

This one remains solid but the HDS system requires an impeccable, not-friday bond between the hull and stringer ...chassis.  some just start leaking out of the blue or after a big jolt, like a bottom tap

the fix is either a) grind then glass layup in the hds box all along the mating surfaces or b) to seal the strut bolts and bond in a traditional brass log

River Rat to Mole
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 11:19am
So I just gotta ask....why a "Malibu" thread here on Correct Craft?  Just curious, are they similar enough in build and design that a lot of the information here can be cross-referenced, or is there just no good Malibu forum?? 

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 11:29am
Originally posted by flyweed flyweed wrote:

So I just gotta ask....why a "Malibu" thread here on Correct Craft?  Just curious, are they similar enough in build and design that a lot of the information here can be cross-referenced, or is there just no good Malibu forum?? 

Now there's a loaded question Wink
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 11:40am

It's a simple answer, Tom is a self proclaimed "Turd Polisher" and Correct Crafts aren't Turds. LOLLOL
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 11:43am
Gettin' the popcorn ready................... the big bag Wink

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 11:50am
heh!, Yes, always in search for the better turd

and no,  malibu forum is much about towers, speakers, wedgies, decals and ballast. much like pn . 

we like ski boats here. the skilz parallel

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 3:38pm
Nothing wrong showing boat projects and pictures. And some of us are dumb enough to keep rescuing them and don't seem to learn better. Here is what recently followed me home, some may recognize it as well. 1988 Shamrock 17' with 4 cylinder 140hp Indmar. A whole new realm for parts hording.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 3:54pm
I just started the full tear down and re-fit of a 2006 Nautique 216 Direct Drive.
Very Dry dirty boat. Owner ordered new transmission and engine package. 6.0 non cat to replace a 305 Mefi and series 40 transmission.
the Struggle is real. the boat like i said came in extremely dirty with brand new C&S skins installed. taking boat back apart as there were a whole lot of poor assembly work. owner wants new flooring. and changed the overall color scheme from factory.
have started photo documentation will post in a couple weeks when it goes to the lake..
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 5:19pm
I learned EARLY on when I bought my 1993 SN how to "DIY" everything on it, after the first couple of visits to my nearest "capable" boat repair shop, and the cost to just install a new starter or prop had my eyes popping out of my head.  The parts aren't necessarily all that expensive, but MAN what they gouge you for on labor, plus water/lake "testing" etc. It really sucks to live in an area where all the big money folks come to spend their summers.  

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 7:15pm

1-General (openminded) appreciation of all things direct drive ski boat

2- Pretty much everything in his resto could be applied to a CC

wayoutthere View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayoutthere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2022 at 11:25pm
Very cool, i like the concept thanks for posting up that page from the manufacturer.
More pics.

Maybe we could get an other than correct craft/inboard section, may increase membership and bring more resources.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2022 at 8:32am
Primary purpose here was to share and  demonstrate my way to solve a waterlogged hull on a composite boat without a total floor-out demo and re assembly, thus saving the time, labor, materials and expense that entails .
thus getting like-new performance out of ones boat.

no doubt of value to many 93 - early 2000's cc hulls as well

yes, i'll add some more pictures soon, final days of the build right now, then after it goes in the water next week, further address the trailer, but thats a bit boring

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2022 at 8:35am
Gary, sweet ride, that Shamrock looks like it has great bones to start a project with

River Rat to Mole
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2022 at 9:05am
Got me curious Tom- did you drive it before you started all this? Wondering if you'll be able to notice a difference? Great idea with the power washer,heard of doing that when removing foamed in tanks but your use just never clicked. Great job!
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2022 at 9:30am
Ambitious project Tom!

I like the idea of no foam… any indication that the hull needed any extra support without it?

How was the floor built from the factory, if you can tell? Curious if the foam appeared to have been poured in before the floor or after? It looks pretty flat/smooth, indicating it wasn’t hand laid (wet) on top of cut-flat foam (like how CC did it)? Maybe a separate glued in panel?
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-14-2022 at 12:31pm
Jody,  yes, looking forward to viewing that build!

Gary, yes, 
i did both drive and ski it in October.  It sat a bit heavy, but i've seen some worse. couldn't tell then if it was entirely the dilapidated platform sagging or its draft
wakes hit little harder than it should, but i was a bit distracted from the spongy tow rope. So i wasn't surprised to confirm its soggy later. 

Yes, it did feel much more light and nimble on the test run three weeks ago. I still had some furniture to reinstall then, but i think it will remain so.

Thank you, i came across an obscure yt video destroying foam with a turbo-tipped power washer, and eureka, made a plan.  we regulated a high volume high power machine down to 3000psi and careful  to hit the hull obliquely when possible  to not hurt the layup.  didn't want to spall the gelcoat off the other side with hydraulic pressure. got creative with the wand hardware, and bought a variable angle elbow accessory

Tim! 
the hull and deck remain as solid as i've ever seen, no wigginess.  
the floor had some flex afterward removing the foam, and didn't want to chance it.  
It did need the 2-3 layers of additional glass to take that flex out. 

I'll take a closup tonight of the cores from the hole saw. its an odd material/layup. a honeycomb core that has white powder in the voids, like gypsom perhaps. it looks like a panel that was pre-made,  and cut then bonded in.

yes,indeed just as you suspected,  Panel was pre-made, cut, bonded in, the foam certainly was poured afterwards. 
Most every place i chose to core , was because there was already a pour/vent hole that was hastily covered with a layer or two of glass for a patch.  putty knife chipped the patch right off.

there are lateral half-rounds underneath the floor for stiffness as well, every 18 inches or so.
Looks like they cut xmas paper tubes in half, and used them to form half-rounds under the floor,  with not more than 2 layers of chop strand over them . when everything was soggy, the paper was darker, and i could see where they were. i couldn't tell what this paper was from, then it made sense how they formed the stiffeners 

River Rat to Mole
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 10:38am
New pictures added to the photodocument, it was a milestone evening

Tim, this was my first hole in the floor i cut to examine the foam. its a peculiar layup, a thin honeycomb core, white powder inside, that was apparent when i feathered the edges before patching.  Hot-glued some corregated polyethelene below the hole to support the layup

River Rat to Mole
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 1:01pm
Amazing project Tom!  Really impressive work and attention to detail.  I've never skied on a Response but would like to give it a try some time, have always liked the looks of that hull.

Funny that you wanted a sound hull with mechanical problems and you ended up with a trashed hull with decent mechanicals! Smile
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 6:18pm
As a proud Nautique owner I hate to say it but the Malibu wakes are very nice.  I owned one for 20 years.  They are small and pretty soft to cross on long or short line.   They are not built to the quality of a Nautique although the fiberglass work was usually top notch with some excellent gel coat colors.   The Nautique is an all around nicer boat, steers better, rides better, more comfortable.  But for a small ski wake the Malibu is hard to beat.  I have not skied a Nautique newer than my 95 so maybe the 97 wake is equal or better than the Malibu.  Some on here will know for sure.  The Nautique holds the line through the course better also, the Malibu moved around some on hard pulls but for an old guy not in the course that was not a bad thing, it helped save some turns that could have been crashes.  It is not a big difference in ability to hold straight line in hard pulls but definitely a difference with the Nautque tracking better.
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-19-2022 at 9:20pm
We barefoot behind a Malibu Tantrum every week. Minimal wake and plenty of power. It is a tractor of sorts for us. 1615 hrs and still going strong. Mark- I am the same die hard CC owner and won’t stray because….well…just because!  😉
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2022 at 8:27am
Umm...............I just gotta wonder any updates on this RCB project ? Wink
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-07-2022 at 12:29pm
Yes, updates!
using the snot out it since launching,  just put it to bed for winter last Friday

It drives like butter

brought it to Maine in August performed all week

The defroster on the front glass has been clutch most every morning, windshield clears halfway down the first pass

Bought a new Westland sunbrella cover, it will be good after i add some straps in the stern like the factory cover, and figure out a better scheme for some bows.

The old PerfectPass was perfectly persnickity,, but had potential. 
Consulted  Marc at PP, he suggested unplugging the paddlewheel, as it uses an adjacent memory block. the last outing of the year it did not malfunction, so maybe next season it will perform good enough else upgrade.

the bilge stayed bone dry all season.

Added some 'snufflers' on the exhaust outlets, to make it extra stealthy in the mornings, and not be a nuisance 

the extra room and comfort was welcome

The platform will get redesigned over the winter, its good but not great. Solid, but i did not anticipate the amount of swelling the mahogany does, so my design should anticipate the swelling and not fight it

Remnant carpet will get bound to place over the bonded carpet, to take the brunt of everyday wear

the 515 prop sings at idle and just above, consulted acme and some careful filing is in order

oh, the trailer got its rusty spots ground down and painted, hdpe sheet on the inner fenders

the Supreme will go under the knife over the winter

River Rat to Mole
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic