Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Delete trailer prop guard?

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Delete trailer prop guard?
    Posted: October-30-2021 at 6:36pm
New garage. Boat barely fits. Annoyingly, the trailer prop guard strikes the ground when backing in, because the angle of attack is down the driveway then back up into the garage. It needs about 1.5” extra height (blocked a 2x4 under the trailer tires and it cleared no problem). I removed the prop guard and the trailer backed right in, prop has plenty of clearance.

Think it’s a terrible idea to semi permanently delete the prop guard to facilitate garage parking? On longer trips or unusual destinations I could bolt it back on.

Other considerations - build some ramps out of lumber (works but a pain), buy bigger trailer tires (could work but not sure if they’d fit, also expensive and I’d have to buy 4 of them), lower my trailer hitch from a 4” to a 5-6” drop (could work but might negatively affect towing dynamics), store the dang thing outside.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2021 at 6:46pm
You've already done it and it works, so your plan sounds reasonable to me. Wink
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2021 at 6:50pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

You've already done it and it works, so your plan sounds reasonable to me. Wink

Deleting the prop guard? It definitely works, just not sure if it’s a dumb idea to leave it off all the time.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2021 at 6:52pm
Probably depends on how much ground clearance you have and if you go four wheelin' to get to the launch ramp Wink
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2021 at 7:14pm
I know someone that welded a couple of small wheels to the prop guard to handle a steep driveway.  I think they did the job.
92 SN - Owned since 93
99 Pro Air
89 SN - Went to live on a lake in Texas
75 Donzi 16 - Sold in 93
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2021 at 7:55pm
If you lower the bow, the stern will rise. 4-6" drop and you'll be fine
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2021 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by desertskier desertskier wrote:

I know someone that welded a couple of small wheels to the prop guard to handle a steep driveway.  I think they did the job.

That is an awesome idea. Could probably just bolt something on. Thanks
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2021 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by scootdogydog scootdogydog wrote:

If you lower the bow, the stern will rise. 4-6" drop and you'll be fine

Yeah I’ve got a 4” drop already which keeps everything pretty neutral, but might try a 5-6” to see how that works. Certainly an easy fix. Maybe an adjustable hitch is in my future.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2021 at 9:23pm
Drop the hitch and see what it does for you.  I had to drop my nautique hitch to get more weight onto the front wheels of my trailer so the brakes worked properly, I have a 2 axle trailer.  I have towed with a variety of vehicles and have a collection of receiver hitches to use from straight to 6" drop.   I think if you remove the prop guard you will be un lucky enough to have your prop kiss something it should not kiss and you won't be happy.
I have seen wheels on the back of trailers many times to allow bad angles to roll on by.
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2021 at 9:32pm
RV's also weld on wheels for the same purpose. Bumper drag. 
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2021 at 8:23am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

Drop the hitch and see what it does for you.  I had to drop my nautique hitch to get more weight onto the front wheels of my trailer so the brakes worked properly, I have a 2 axle trailer.  I have towed with a variety of vehicles and have a collection of receiver hitches to use from straight to 6" drop.   I think if you remove the prop guard you will be un lucky enough to have your prop kiss something it should not kiss and you won't be happy.
I have seen wheels on the back of trailers many times to allow bad angles to roll on by.

Yeah this is the approach I’m going with. Ordered a drop hitch and will give that a go. If it doesn’t work I’ll pursue the roller / caster route which seems pretty straightforward. Googled it and it seems to be a very common add on for these types of trailers.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2021 at 9:57am
All my hitches are bolted on and unadjustable.
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2021 at 10:18am
Doc you’ll have clearance from prop to driveway until one day you forget and Don’t   Leave it on
BTW. What have you done with Pete
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2021 at 10:59am
Agree with 67, leave it on.  I'm guessing that guard has saved my prop a few dozen times at this point.  I love the idea of rollers on the guard, might look into that myself.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2021 at 11:11am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Agree with 67, leave it on.  I'm guessing that guard has saved my prop a few dozen times at this point.  I love the idea of rollers on the guard, might look into that myself.

yeah I agree too and will do so. Not worth trashing the bottom of the boat for this small problem. I'm really hoping a slightly lower hitch will fix the problem. Otherwise will look into rollers/casters, or even just ramps.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2021 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'm with HW, lower the hitch - it will be the next thing dragging. How about a lower ball mount or if yours can be turned over just do that.....
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'm with HW, lower the hitch - it will be the next thing dragging. How about a lower ball mount or if yours can be turned over just do that.....

My fault, I'm confusing hitch and ball mount... I'm getting an adjustable ball mount. 
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2021 at 8:06pm
Sell house,   buy a more boat friendly residence Big smile
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2021 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by gun-driver gun-driver wrote:

Sell house,   buy a more boat friendly residence Big smile

Ugh literally just finished this brand new garage!!

Couldn’t convince the wife to move out to the lake so oh well
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 3:15pm
I fabricated a mount for the R/V type "butt dragger" steel roller wheel.  I have one wheel on each side of the prop cage.  The axle on the roller wheel has a grease zerk for lubrication.  The location of the roller wheel is about 3/4" below the prop cage.

I also have an adjustable ball mount so that I can drop the trailer tongue fairly low to get the a$$ end of the trailer (and prop cage) up with additional clearance if needed.

Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-02-2021 at 9:47pm
That looks bout perfect JQ.  Nice work.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 12:11am
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

That looks bout perfect JQ.  Nice work.
Thanks McD.  Those wheels are one of the best mods I've done on the trailer.  I have a fairly steep driveway, so the butt-dragger wheels are used many times during waterski season. I got real tired of the scraping and grinding of the prop cage and the marks left on the concrete.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 2:04am
Your welds look better than mine.   I am still working on that skill set.  I have a frame to modify, will give me lots of practice.

Where did you find the grazeable rollers?
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 10:45am
Where do you guys find adjustable hitches?
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:14am
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:21am
Linky no worky
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:27am
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:31am
That’s not a hitch.
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:31am
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
DockDoc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DockDoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-03-2021 at 11:35am
Yeah again because I'm an idiot and keep confusing "hitch" with "ball mount". My bad.
1993 Sport Nautique
PCM 351w, no ProTec
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic