Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1983 rear main seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
99airwarrior View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1983 rear main seal
    Posted: October-14-2020 at 5:28pm
I have a 1983 351w in my 85 2001 the block id is E3AE- which is a 1983 block but it does not have a date code just a tag that's says Commander Marine CM9111. My question is what rear main seal does it have 1 piece or 2 ? without pulling the velvet drive . Thank You 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2020 at 6:59pm
There should be a date code cast into the block along with the block ID.

83 was the year they transitioned from the 2 pc to the 1 pc seal.

If the date code is July 10th or earlier, it would be a 2 piece seal

If it was July 11th or later, it would be a 1 piece seal

An example of the number would be something like 3G11  3 for 1983  G for July and 11 for the day of the month.

So if the letter after the 3 comes before G it's a 2 piece  (example 3D)

If the letter after the 3  comes after G it's a 1 piece  (example 3J)

If the letter is G then you have to look at the number after the G.

Since you know where the block ID is stamped and it's upside down, if you look at that number, right above it you'll find the casting date also upside down with all the numbers buried in paint and maybe some rust and grime too..

The numbers are about as easy to find and read as the dead sea scrolls 

Here are some numbers I took from an engine I just looked at
E4AE-6015-FA-13
                   6H16

The E4AE says it was a block first used in 1984 and the 6H16 says it was cast on August 16, 1986.

Just as clear as mud huh?

If you can get all the numbers, post them here for some deciphering help.

It might be easier to pull the transmission  Wink

Here's a picture borrowed from the internet, note that the block is upside down and you can read the numbers

8C10 tells you it was cast on March10, 1988

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2020 at 9:50pm
Thank You Keno for the help I just needed to pull the starter the date code is 4C31 The casting code is E3AE-6015-8A22 Joe 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-14-2020 at 10:59pm
Keno can you give me the number for the rear main seal reverse rotation I see one on ebay for 29.00 Thank Joe 
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2020 at 6:43am
Originally posted by 99airwarrior 99airwarrior wrote:

Thank You Keno for the help I just needed to pull the starter the date code is 4C31 The casting code is E3AE-6015-8A22 Joe 

Hi Joe

I think that you'd have a 1 piece rear main seal since the block was cast on March 31, 1984.

Also the casting code really ends in BA22, not 8A22. Those 8's and B's are tricky Wink

The PCM part number is R047041A for the 1 piece RR seal and it's around 95 bucks at Discount Inbd Marine.

Alex's Parts sells a one piece RR main seal for about 28 bucks plus shipping. Alex's  part number is CS-45920R. 

If I found the one I think you're looking at on EBAY it's probably the same seal from the same supplier with a slightly different number CS-4592RV given to it by the outfit selling it.

People have used the Alex's seal with good luck since somebody first brought it up on the forum ( it was shierh or mmasariu I think)

Good luck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2020 at 10:35pm
Thank You, Ordered the seals today, now for the ring gear I did find information in the archives that it is a 157 tooth and the damper is either a PCM oem part or a Sach's  made in Germany . I noticed when I pulled the started for the numbers some teeth were chewed up . If I am going to pull the drive I might as well replace any possible  future failures. I will also replace the velvet drives front seat . Joe
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2020 at 11:10pm
Is this the ring gear info you found-

Probably the best damper prices -       https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/search_2/show.php?q=damper&qid=43469&tr=%20Damper_Ford%20Drive%20Damper

Or you can save a few bucks and cut it down your self to match your old one or the one above
https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/search_2/show.php?q=damper&qid=43472&tr=%20Damper_Velvet%20Drive%20Damper
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 99airwarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-15-2020 at 11:39pm
Thank You Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic