NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sad Day At The Lake!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
Author
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sad Day At The Lake!
    Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:05am
1989 Ski Nautique 2001. We hit a submerged rock at the lake this past weekend.
Insurance most likely will total the boat.

Any thoughts on repair?   Thanks for any input / advice!

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 9:41am
Ah that should buff right out.
I'm guessing you didn't sink her? Shallow? Close to the launch? How did you keep from sinking?
It can all be fixed question is how much much do you want to spend on a 30 year old boat verses using the insurance money to possibly update to something newer.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 10:18am
Time to move on. Lots of nice boats out there to buy!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 10:43am
There are people selling stripped hulls. You could move many of your items to a new used hull. Best is too take the insurance money and get another boat.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 10:52am
Oof.

Anything (Fiberglass) is fixable with enough time. Probably $1-2k (in parts) to fix the hull and underwater gear yourself, but a fair number of man hours involved. Won’t be cheap to pay a pro. Transmission is the big question mark, with that much shaft damage it might be toast too- and that’s a big dollar item.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 11:04am
Take the insurance money and buy the boat from them, so you can part it out.

Huge hit, hopefully, no one got hurt.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 11:22am
ugh, must suk

don';t know, not much bones left to pick
I too bet the transmission is seriously crunched inside. whats left besides a 30 yo engine, a windshield, morse control, pylon then you have to dispose of the thing
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 11:51am
That would require some serious buffing, for sure! haha.

The accident occurred last Friday, a few miles from the ramp. After impact, the boat started taking on water and it was obvious we weren't going to make it back. To make things worse, there was a huge storm about to hit. We left the boat. I went back the next morning to find the boat didn't sink. Didn't even tip over. I'm guessing all the foam kept it afloat. I called flagship towing and it was back on the trailer within two hours.

vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 12:04pm
This is a great boat for two or three people. Easy to move. Puts out a nice wake. Powerful engine.   
Would a possible fix be to install (glass in) a metal plate above and or below the hull for the rudder mount?

If repair isn't an option, what would be a good V-Drive replacement that won't kill the wallet?
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 1:03pm
No, the old damaged glass will need to be removed with a grinder and new glass replaced. If it is going to be fixed, it needs to be done correctly. You might decided to sell it in a few years and if it was not done right you have safety issues for you and the next owner. Possible liabilities too. Would be hard to sell a improperly fixed boat. Will also be hard to sell a properly fixed one too.

Flex Tape could be an option.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:17pm
Fixable? Probably yes.     Economically feasible? No    Structurally feasible? Questionable   They will total it out.   You might want to see what the salvage bid is and pick it up for parts or ??   You will no doubt come out on the short end of the stick. Trying to replace the boat for what they offer will be difficult to do. Plus this is the wrong season to find the best deals. Just my opinion.
Good luck,   Duane
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:23pm
Hopefully, your policy has an "agreed value" and not "market value". In my policy I make my agreed value high enough so that I can get an equal or better replacement.

Dude, that really sux. I feel for you. How fast were you going at the time of impact?

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:41pm
Yeah, glassing is the correct way. Way beyond my capabilities and would cost more than the boat is worth at a shop. Yeah, i want to try flex tape just too see if it'll float!
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Fixable? Probably yes.     Economically feasible? No    Structurally feasible? Questionable   They will total it out.

Agree with all except the “question” that it could be structurally repaired properly. Not cheap to do but certainly doable.
C_Heath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C_Heath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:52pm
dang sorry man. Let them total it and move on unless you have sentimental in it.
1979 Calipso Runabout (the boat that got it all started)
1988 Mastercraft ProStar 190 (sold)
2000 Pro Air Nautique/GT40
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:52pm
The wrong season for boat shopping, for sure! Memorial Day weekend in a few days....ugh.....
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 2:58pm
Thx. I was going 30 - 35 then cut hard to the left.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Structurally feasible? Questionable   They will total it out.

Agree with all except the “question” that it could be structurally repaired properly.

Tim,
I agree with you on Duane's thought it would be structurally questionable. Repaired properly it would be as good or even better than new. Duane is one of the best machinist around but sounds like he's not so good with glass.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:24pm

Fixable? Probably yes.     Economically feasible? No    Structurally feasible? Questionable   They will total it out.

Agree with all except the “question” that it could be structurally repaired properly. Not cheap to do but certainly doable.

I should have added "questionable --- if you can find the right person to repair it". At $100/hr it will eat up the boat value pretty quick.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by vbatla vbatla wrote:

This looks like some of the boats we seen loaded for surfing!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Travis Eacret View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Eacret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:42pm
Just curious, what lake were you on?
1995 Sport Nautique
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:45pm
Lake Georgetown in TX
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:52pm

I should have added "questionable .

But Duane, you did say " questionable"

Structurally feasible? Questionable      Duane

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by SNobsessed SNobsessed wrote:

Originally posted by vbatla vbatla wrote:

This looks like some of the boats we seen loaded for surfing!

Right!! Too funny
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 7:44pm

I should have added "questionable --- if you can find the right person to repair it".

Pete, Your reading skills seem to have slipped again.    Read it again and if you still cant figure it out then I'll use smaller words. The key is "If you can find the right person"
At least we agree that I am not the right person. I am the first to admit my limitations. That is why I don't answer EVERY post out here.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 9:42pm

I should have added "questionable --- if you can find the right person to repair it".

Pete, Your reading skills seem to have slipped again.    Read it again and if you still cant figure it out then I'll use smaller words. The key is "If you can find the right person"

Duane,
Here's your post from 11:17 this morning.

Structurally feasible? Questionable

It's the one I quoted and the one Tim quoted. funny I don't see anything about "if you can find the right person" in it.
Yes please use smaller words so I can understand.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67 ski nat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67 ski nat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 10:55pm
My condolences, feel for you.
Would be a labor of love to fix
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 11:15pm
Todos
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-19-2020 at 11:17pm
Personally I think the stringers are more important- if they are questionable then it would not be worth it. It will take alot of your time since it's so labor intensive,and you would also have to get it very cheap.
Many years ago soon after the dinosaurs stopped roaming the earth I was given a dune buggy body that had been damaged in an accident with several pieces even missing. I knew enough about fiberglass to be dangerous,my dad knew some things from his days of hanging around some heavy hitters in the early Corvette days. Fiberglass suppliers amounted to Kmart,Topp's or Clarke's department stores and dad had some mat left over from something. In the ensuing years I've learned more about it and certainly would do things differently now mainly because of the supplies and information available today.

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
vbatla View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vbatla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-20-2020 at 12:23am
The stringers are perfect. Looks like insurance will total it. 50/50 on rebuild at this point.

Looking at a 1999 Malibu Sunsetter VLX. I like the additional room. How does the wake on the Malibu compare to an 89 Ski Nautique?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123 5>
  Share Topic