Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Velvet drive rebuild kits

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Chucky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chucky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Velvet drive rebuild kits
    Posted: November-24-2019 at 6:39pm
I noticed in the EBay ads for velvet drive rebuild kits, all say 1970 and up. My boat is a 1966, and I can only assume it’s the original trans. Does anybody know why they say that? Do you think the parts will work in mine?

Ebay link....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/VELVET-DRIVE-70C-71C-72C-MARINE-TRANSMISSION-OVERHAUL-REBUILD-KIT-219006/260830027772?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2019 at 9:42pm
70 and up probably has one extra reverse clutch plate. You buy it and end up with an extra part. Does it indicate what material the plates are made of? That's sometimes important.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2019 at 8:33am
Chucky

Is it safe to assume that you have a Borg Warner manual?

If not, you can go to the reference section and find one or click on the link below or there are a bunch scattered around the internet

Pete's answer above "ain't exactly accurate"

If as Pete says your 66 has one less reverse clutch plate than a 1970 model, then reverse would be totally non existent

The 70c has fewer forward clutch plates and the same number of reverse clutch plates as a 71c. (later 10-17's depending on the model had more reverse clutch plates), so Yes you will have some extra parts

The 71c was a beefed up 70c in the forward section You'll see in the manual how many plates there are for forward and reverse in each

link

You could call EBasicpower in the link below, tell them what you have and what you want to do and you'll get what you need at a reasonable price

link
FFImarine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FFImarine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2019 at 8:07pm
70c has 3 forward friction plates and 1 really thick plastic/fiber reverse plate. You can purchase thinner reverse plates and convert to 2 reverse frictions but they are hard to find but if you need them I do have a few in stock. You can also upgrade the input shaft and forward clutch drum to 5 friction plate set up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic