Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wet foam?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
curiouslibra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curiouslibra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wet foam?
    Posted: November-15-2019 at 9:41am
Ok I finally got to weighing my boat at the scales and it came in at 3220lbs. This was with a full tank of gas, but no gear. The brochsures I have found on the internet for an Air Nautique 1999 is 2700lbs. If gas density is approx 6.5/gal for a 30 gal tank that puts it at 2895lbs and oil I would think no more than 5lbs so 2900lbs, I'm still have 320lbs un accounted for. I have a light bar on the tower and that could be 70lbs of that right there. Also have an aftermarket amplifier and subwoofer for another 30lbs so could be only 220lbs. Could that be wet / saturated foam / trapped water? I ask because when I take the boat out without any people or gear except myself, on a ACME 422 prop, I get 40 mph turning 4500rpm. It seems like I need a smaller pitch prop to get my rpm's to 4800 which should give me 2 mph more speed? which would put me more inline with what other people on here that have an air nautique 1999 say their top speed is.   it also seems nose heavy especially in a turn. Also when sitting in the lake with a full tank and everybody is out swiming around the boat it looks normal but at about half a tank of gas or less and the rear section is 2 inches higher up out of the water giving that nose heavy impression plus wakes even from our own boat when we turn around will wash over the nose if you are just idling through it. you have to be going about 7 mph or more to make the nose go high enough to keep from taking on water. Maybe I have a slow hull? or engine is not producing enough power? The compression numbers came back good but it doesnt have the original HO Headers. So last thought to check is for wet foam. Is there a way to check without drilling holes in the hull? or ripping up the floor to check? can you use a borescope camera? seems like guys who have removed their wet foam said it was like 600 to 700 lbs and I only show less than half that which wouldn't be worth trying to rip out the deck just to remove. I'm thinking to at least relocate the battery from the nose to under the passenger seat that would shift 30lbs more aft to help the heavy front end situation. Just wanted to hear your thoughts and comments of things I might check for that I missed or let me know this is a normal characteristic of this year and type of Air Nautique.
Thanks,
Will
W
i
l
l

"Don't argue with idiots, onlookers will not be able to tell the difference between the two of you, as the idiot drags you down to their level and beats you with experience."
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 10:07am
When I look at a 1999 brochure, an Air Nautique which I seem to think is a Sport Nautique with a tower and some ballast tanks weighs 2700 pounds dry and the Sport Nautique weighs 2700 pounds dry.

That tower and the ballast tanks must weigh something .

I figure the brochure weight is wrong for one of those boats probably the Air Nautique with that extra stuff on it

How about battery weight? I don't think that counts in the dry weight either but not real sure. Your 30 pound battery seems a little light too.

Accurate certified scales?

Also I'd call dry weight pretty much a rounded off semi accurate number , not too precise
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 10:27am
Originally posted by curiouslibra curiouslibra wrote:

it doesnt have the original HO Headers.

Please explain
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 10:50am
No two boats are built the same anyway it’s not like building a car or motorcycle where parts are uniform. The build sheet on my 95 states on its water test that it had a 1/2” list. I doubt the foam was already wet. Has it ever even been confirmed that a composite boats foam can retain water? Arn’t those that have removed wet foam of that magnitude are from the wood stringer days?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 11:00am
Yes composite boats can hold water in the foam. Any foam can hold water, that’s why many omit it when rebuilding.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 11:04am
Thought they used closed cell foam on the newer ones, or does that type still hold water? Has anyone here actually confirmed that a composite boat can be wet? Kroundy is the only one I recall actually opening one up. Was his wet? it was after all a well used school boat.
Anyway my point is you cannot compare CC published weights to each and every boat and expect them to be the same
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

it doesnt have the original HO Headers.

Please explain

This link below was from last year

It doesn't exactly explain things, but adds a little more confusion

Fresh air exhaust, rebuilt engine with unknown parts like heads and cam, different exhaust manifolds and who knows what else

link

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 11:16am
Yes closed cell can hold water. Yes we’ve confirmed.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 11:27am
Didn't Roger over in England do a water absorption test on a block of foam a couple years ago? If I remember, the weight gain from water was almost nil.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 11:34am
Maybe the link below has it on one of the 8 pages

I'll bet it does

link

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 11:40am
Are individual boats weighed at the factory and noted on the build sheets? I don’t recall and don’t have notes with me.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Maybe the link below has it on one of the 8 pages

I'll bet it does

link

Originally posted by uk1979 uk1979 wrote:

Here are my findings on the foams.

Foam with a cut face 2 wk underwater   now 61.7g   has 15g of water soaked in.

Foam block with skin 1 wk underwater now 196.9g has 5.9g of water soaked in.

Foam like pool noodles 1 wk underwater now 14.2    has 3.2g of water.

Thanks Eric will update my spred sheet now back to my specific gravity tables.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
curiouslibra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curiouslibra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 5:25pm
Thanks for all the replies. I didn't realize the published dry weight was just an estimate. So in reality I could be at the 3220 weight with the foam being dry or very little saturation. I've got the boat winterized and tilted at a 45 degree angle for the winter. Maybe any trapped water will slowly drain out the back? will see this spring.

Thanks.
will
W
i
l
l

"Don't argue with idiots, onlookers will not be able to tell the difference between the two of you, as the idiot drags you down to their level and beats you with experience."
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 5:56pm
Or the boat is perfectly fine and there is no problem. Have you driven other Airs that handled different?
RealDeez View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RealDeez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 6:40pm
I don't have any speed reference yet because I haven't had a run with a working speedo yet but I can attest my 93 sport will nose under a wave if you don't goose the throttle. I was led to believe that was normal behavior by the PO.

I wondered about the wet foam thing in the all composite boats which mine is... my instincts tell me that unless you run with the bilge full a lot or leave it uncovered it wouldn't have too much in there if any. But those are noob instincts so take them as you like.

Hoping to get a covered lift for next season so I can stop thinking about it.
Lake James, IN
93 Sport Nautique
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 9:01pm

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't realize the published dry weight was just an estimate. So in reality I could be at the 3220 weight with the foam being dry or very little saturation. I've got the boat winterized and tilted at a 45 degree angle for the winter. Maybe any trapped water will slowly drain out the back? will see this spring.

Thanks.
will

I wanna see a picture of this boat tilted at a 45 degree angle
MourningWood View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MourningWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-15-2019 at 9:13pm
...and I'd be curious to see where the drain plug is located.
1994 Ski Nautique "Riot"
1964 Dunphy X-55 "One 'N Dun"

'I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic