Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hanging it Up

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
BrianSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hanging it Up
    Posted: November-13-2019 at 1:23pm
Looking for experiences people have had with putting their CC's on hang hooks while working on them in their garage.

Saw this picture:

on Chucky's 66 Mustang Rebuild post.

Getting ready to spruce up my 71 SN. My planned work is to do gel coat and windshield buffing, complete fixture tearoff, seat and carpet re-do's, etc. Probably not an engine pull yet, but might tinker on it. I was thinking about using a couple engine hoists, but then I saw Chucky's rigs. I am going to be under it, so I kinda want to trust the set-up.

So I'm interested in how others have approached getting it off the trailer and making workable hang/stand jigs that can roll. Would love to see pictures.

[Follow-on question is how to pull an engine out while in my 8-foot ceiling garage. Last time we built a giant A-frame, but that was outside.]
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 3:50pm
I used one of these H.F. hoists to pick up my SNOB by the bow lifting ring:

I stacked concrete blocks and put a 2 X 12 as a "softener" under the keel so that the weight of the boat was resting on the blocks/wood and not the hoist. I kept the hoist hooked up and in place...as a "just in case" option.

The set-up you show in your photo looks OK to my untrained eye. Just ensure that the A-frame / gantry supports can't "rack" in either axis.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 4:01pm
Before I finished my garage with insulation and fire rated sheetrock I had access to the floor joists, In my 110 year old home these are 2 1/4" x 10" beams.
I wanted to paint my trailer. We installed a couple of Eye bolts in the floor joists above my garage floor. I used a come a long and lifted the boat straight up off the trailer.
Secured it with a Tie down strap, 10,000 pound rated each, one at each end and pulled the trailer out for repair.   I had to lift the rear and then the front but it worked very easy.
Years ago I had to repair my 78 Nautique. In a buddy's lot we lifted the boat one with his Tow Truck and set it down on several large used tires. They were stacked to keep the prop and rudder off the ground. That worked also.
SunFun View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SunFun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 7:54pm
I built a gantry crane using 3 (2x8's) glued and screwed for the cross members. I used 3 (2x6's) for the posts glued and screwed. This was more than enough to allow me lift my SN 2001 off of the trailer. I blocked the boat from the bottom so that all of the weight wouldn't be on the bow and stern eyes. It stayed like this for 2 months with no problems.
1989 SN 2001
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 8:28pm
Just a safety comment from me - you mention you'll be under the boat, which we all end up doing once we get them in the air. For the same reason you never trust a jack under a car, you use jackstands for safety, you can't trust a gantry either. As someone mentioned above blocks and a board for a softener are good, just something that insures if the boat falls there's something thicker and stronger than you stopping it from crushing you.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
BrianSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 8:55pm
Hey all you contributors,

Thanks for chipping in with your thoughts.

Jonny Quest, I do have one of those engine hoists. "Racking" risk noted.
MrMcD, I do have a steel beam, but in the wrong part of the garage. Would have loved to see the tow truck yanking the 78!
SunFun, the gantry we built before was NOT as solid as you describe yours.
63 Skier, totally... I barely dare put my arm under the cars.

Have any of you made dollies that you can cradle the boat on and roll it around the garage? (Trying to get everything in my garage on casters, so I can easily reconfigure. Only problem is college kids leaving 1/2 an apartment's stuff in 2 stalls!)

bs
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 9:19pm
Here are pictures SunFun must have forgot he posted a while back in the link below   

link
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 9:32pm
Page 2 of the link below has a couple pictures of a pretty beefy dolly made by Tfreeman.

You can ignore the air tubing bickering on page 1 or read it if you feel like

link

Or click on the link below for lots of dolly reading (multiple pages of posts)

link
BrianSki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-13-2019 at 10:55pm
Oh my GOSH! That's a beefy dolly that Tfreeman made!
I suppose he had to have it so fully supported because he was ripping the stringers out and didn't want the now-flimsier hull twisting. But wow,

Yeah, SunFun's gantry was definitely not going to parallelogram.

Thanks for digging that stuff up, KENO! I appreciate it. And I also appreciate your pointing out that Google search can dig into correctcraftfan. Good method, so that I don't have to bug members for digging up history that's already been hashed. Although I suspect some of you get a kick out of proving your memory strength.

bs
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2019 at 9:22am
Google, She's just so smart

If you're looking for something you said you can type your name in along with the info you're looking for to narrow things down some.

it would be.........................correctcraftfan BrianSki followed by the topic

Sometimes you can get buried in information.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-14-2019 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Google, She's just so smart

If you're looking for something you said you can type your name in along with the info you're looking for to narrow things down some.

it would be.........................correctcraftfan BrianSki followed by the topic

Sometimes you can get buried in information.

I tried using Google...however, she says that my comments are not worth recording....

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic