NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1999 Longhorn Nautique Restoration Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 15>
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2020 at 3:39pm
It’ll be close but I suspect you’ll be right there.

Prop selection is always a bit of trial and error but I bet you’d be darn close in the 1490-1492 range.
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2020 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Originally posted by rosconole rosconole wrote:

Sorry I thought it was staying more OEM But with those heads can't go wrong.   it will probably make 330-340hp., 52mph.

You’re 100hp shy on what it’d take to push that Sport hull 52... but I’d say the speed estimate is probably close.

Which side of the intake is ported? A quick search shows that the 351w lower GT40 intake is pretty decent but the upper (same as the 302 Explorer?) is a bit more restrictive. 70mm TB will help.

The lower is only part you can port on GT40 intake 9.2 deck lower...in he tubular upper really, you can tootsie roll the throttle body inlet some thats about it... some have tried to cut open and weld the side and change the runner some but not with alot of luck, not like the cast like Cobra or Explorer intake where you can extrude hone or port to your hearts desire. Hopefully its got an accufab throttle body and not the idle hunter BBK. GT40 intake should be fine for what your doing , Might benefit slightly from a Holley system max intake but is it worth another 800...maybe later.
1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2020 at 3:43pm
Only (some of?) the 1995 gt40 intakes are tubular. The rest (including his 99) are cast.
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2020 at 4:03pm
This is the throttle body:

https://accufabracing.com/mustang-throttle-bodies/mustang-1986-1993/5.0l-mustang-throttle-bodies/mustang-5.0l-1986-1993-70mm-throttle-body

I didn’t know the BBK’s were problematic. Good to know.

Sorry I thought it was staying more OEM But with those heads can't go wrong.   it will probably make 330-340hp., 52mph.

You’re 100hp shy on what it’d take to push that Sport hull 52... but I’d say the speed estimate is probably close.

Which side of the intake is ported? A quick search shows that the 351w lower GT40 intake is pretty decent but the upper (same as the 302 Explorer?) is a bit more restrictive. 70mm TB will help.

The lower is only part you can port on GT40 intake 9.2 deck lower...in he tubular upper really, you can tootsie roll the throttle body inlet some thats about it... some have tried to cut open and weld the side and change the runner some but not with alot of luck, not like the cast like Cobra or Explorer intake where you can extrude hone or port to your hearts desire. Hopefully its got an accufab throttle body and not the idle hunter BBK. GT40 intake should be fine for what your doing , Might benefit slightly from a Holley system max intake but is it worth another 800...maybe later.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
1995 Nautique Super Sport
https://www.instagram.com/longhorn_nautique/
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2020 at 4:08pm
Correct. Lower was port matched to the heads, upper was opened up and the throttle body inlet. We will see how it works out.

1999 Longhorn Nautique
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2020 at 4:13pm
Yes BBK can be a nightmare same goes for their mass air units, you couldn't pay me to run one , not only do they not make good power trying to get the IAC /Trottle position set properly can drive a man insane sometimes. I have run a 90MM accufab for 20+ years. good people and good product.

Originally posted by DHMcFadin DHMcFadin wrote:

This is the throttle body:

https://accufabracing.com/mustang-throttle-bodies/mustang-1986-1993/5.0l-mustang-throttle-bodies/mustang-5.0l-1986-1993-70mm-throttle-body

I didn’t know the BBK’s were problematic. Good to know.

1989 ski nautique ,1991 barefoot nautique, 1993 Mustang Cobra 1998 5.0 Magazine shootout invitee
79SNbrady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79SNbrady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2020 at 6:07pm
Thread is blowing up today! Going to have to adjust my notifications to something different besides instant. Had to scroll through my emails to find something else besides this thread.

What is your next big mile marker your expecting to hit?

This thread is giving me the itch to get my 79SN going again with a 408!
"It's just water... not concrete or dirt... so just throw it"
-Parks Bonifay

1979 Ski Nautique - (stringer job completed summer 2012)
2007 236 Team - All White!
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-23-2020 at 6:28pm
This is almost better than the GT 40 vs GT 40 P heads debate !!!!
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2020 at 1:56am
Got jump seats! Once I pulled the carpet off the original, the base looked pretty bad. It appeared that Correct Craft didn't care very much about the aesthetics as they counted on the carpet to cover up the imperfections. The original seat base was completely body worked. Then a mold was pulled. I wanted to the final product to be nice enough to not require any upholstery at all. Lastly, a quick a sneak peek of the trailer! Just a couple final touches left, should be done in another week or so. Castaway Customs came by the house last week to template the SeaDek step pads.

1999 Longhorn Nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2020 at 8:11am

It appeared that Nautique didn't care very much about the aesthetics

I thought that Correct Craft built them?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2020 at 10:30am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Nautiques by Correct Craft?
1999 Longhorn Nautique
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2020 at 10:50am
Where are all those jump seats going? I can remember placing mine either behind the driver or in front of the walkthrough. Can imagine using 3!
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2020 at 10:56am
Originally posted by ultrarunner ultrarunner wrote:

Where are all those jump seats going? I can remember placing mine either behind the driver or in front of the walkthrough. Can imagine using 3!

They aren’t all for this boat. Since I have the mold, I made a few.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
ultrarunner View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultrarunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2020 at 10:58am
If I buy a sport without one, I’m calling you!
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2020 at 11:02am

If I buy a sport without one, I’m calling you!

Please do!
1999 Longhorn Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2020 at 5:05pm

Correct so, since "Nautique" is a boat model, then a boat model didn't make anything. "Correct Craft" is the manufacturer so they made the jump seats.

Thanks for clearing that up.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-26-2020 at 10:27pm
Which model is the “Nautique” ?
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2020 at 11:25am

This is great. Between this and the other parts you've molded, you could start a business supplying NLA parts, better than factory, for all the future restorations of these boats that you know will be coming. With the cost and complexity of new boats, I guarantee you I'll be maintaining and restoring my '03 for a long, long time yet, along with many others I'm sure. There are already some incredible restorations of this era of boat, as I'm sure you know.

On the jump seat in particular, those can be really hard to find. If you're willing to make them and sell them (including shipping anywhere) I think you'd have a market. I searched ebay/CL/ forums for 8 months before finding one for my '03, and it wasn't the right colors. Still isn't, because it was in great shape and I couldn't justify spending the $$ on recarpeting/repuholstering it just to match colors.
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2020 at 1:14pm
I also had a very difficult time finding a jump seat. Before I started this project, I took inventory of every piece that came out of the boat, inspected it, and then researched if replacement parts were available. Basically all interior pieces are no longer made. The goal is to keep acquiring parts from various year models and over time build more molds. Yes it will be nice to make a little profit from this venture but I also wanted to make quality parts available to enthusiasts who enjoy and are as passionate about their older Nautique as I am. The only hurdle is that the majority of these pieces were originally ABS and/or broken so a lot of work has to go into them to get them ready to handle the heat from the mold making process. More work equals more time. This makes the cost of the mold go up significantly. I am going to keep acquiring parts and then gauges interest. If I have enough interest, I’ll make it.

Originally posted by stepper459 stepper459 wrote:

This is great. Between this and the other parts you've molded, you could start a business supplying NLA parts, better than factory, for all the future restorations of these boats that you know will be coming. With the cost and complexity of new boats, I guarantee you I'll be maintaining and restoring my '03 for a long, long time yet, along with many others I'm sure. There are already some incredible restorations of this era of boat, as I'm sure you know.

On the jump seat in particular, those can be really hard to find. If you're willing to make them and sell them (including shipping anywhere) I think you'd have a market. I searched ebay/CL/ forums for 8 months before finding one for my '03, and it wasn't the right colors. Still isn't, because it was in great shape and I couldn't justify spending the $$ on recarpeting/repuholstering it just to match colors.
1999 Longhorn Nautique
stepper459 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stepper459 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2020 at 3:11pm

I also had a very difficult time finding a jump seat. Before I started this project, I took inventory of every piece that came out of the boat, inspected it, and then researched if replacement parts were available. Basically all interior pieces are no longer made. The goal is to keep acquiring parts from various year models and over time build more molds. Yes it will be nice to make a little profit from this venture but I also wanted to make quality parts available to enthusiasts who enjoy and are as passionate about their older Nautique as I am. The only hurdle is that the majority of these pieces were originally ABS and/or broken so a lot of work has to go into them to get them ready to handle the heat from the mold making process. More work equals more time. This makes the cost of the mold go up significantly. I am going to keep acquiring parts and then gauges interest. If I have enough interest, I’ll make it.

This could prove to be of great value to the community as more and more people go to restore these boats. I've many times thought of starting a business doing just that. I'm sure there will continue to be a strong market for these boats, and for making them like new or better than new, because your budget can be pretty big if you're looking at it in comparison to a new one. One big obstacle for me is my location. I think my chances of success would be greater if I were in Florida or something. Jeff Carroll is about halfway there to having just such a business, at the rate he's flipping boats these days.

Amazingly, when I did find a jump seat, it happened to be one with the curved bottom part of the seat, to match the curve of the observer's seat in my '03 SAN. I don't know how many of them came like that but it has to be a small number. I think the only difference is the piece that makes up the seat bottom, but still. If only the colors had matched it would have been the luckiest find in the history of... well... of jump seats anyway.

Cheers, and keep up the great work. The trailer looks great, and I'm sure this will turn out to be one of the nicest modern restorations any of us have seen.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2020 at 3:28pm

Correct so, since "Nautique" is a boat model, then a boat model didn't make anything. "Correct Craft" is the manufacturer so they made the jump seats.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Slow day up there in the frozen tundra Pete?

I wonder if he put new "Freeze plugs" in his rebuilt "motor"
rosconole View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rosconole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2020 at 5:38pm
I hear what your saying but, I wouldn't expect any profit your in pretty deep chief. If it were a low build # boat maybe.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2020 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Slow day up there in the frozen tundra Pete?

Larry,
No, just a normal day up here dealing with some snow. It's been warm this week - lower 30's!

Those snow banks on the side of the driveway are 6'

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DHMcFadin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHMcFadin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2020 at 6:07pm
Man, everyone on this forum is so critical. The boat isn’t an expense. It’s a hobby. I’m not sitting here hoping to recoup my costs. I wanna make some parts and recoup money spent on the mold. Whatever I make after that is money I didn’t have before. Boat restoration or not, the restoration isn’t part of my costs.

I hear what your saying but, I wouldn't expect any profit your in pretty deep chief. If it were a low build # boat maybe.

1999 Longhorn Nautique
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2020 at 8:18pm

Man, everyone this forum is so critical. The boat isn’t an expense. It’s a hobby.

and when your done you'll even have a boat!

Pete it's even cool here almost had to put on a long sleeve shirt!

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Treybizttu View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Treybizttu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2020 at 6:56pm
Keep it up, looks great.

Some of you in this thread need better things to do with your time.
burban65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2020 at 8:11pm
Hmmmmm....... about time for Keno to jump in and get Pete back in line. Maybe he (Keno) needs a nudge?????
And yes Dominic, some "critics" on this forum and website........they have been a part of CCF for many many, many years. The majority of us have some scar tissue (some more than others) that can be tied back to them but a few scars also builds character and, at least from my experience, when it comes right down to it all of the critics will provide you support when / if you need it.
Great job on the boat......keep the pics coming!

SRB
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2020 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by burban65 burban65 wrote:

Hmmmmm....... about time for Keno to jump in and get Pete back in line. Maybe he (Keno) needs a nudge?????
And yes Dominic, some "critics" on this forum and website........they have been a part of CCF for many many, many years. The majority of us have some scar tissue (some more than others) that can be tied back to them but a few scars also builds character and, at least from my experience, when it comes right down to it all of the critics will provide you support when / if you need it.
Great job on the boat......keep the pics coming!

I think TRB did a fine job of keeping Pete and Rosco reeled in
Air206 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Air206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2020 at 4:38pm
You are doin' an amazing job with this resto-mod - Hats off! Sometimes the guys forget it's not their boat ... but that's likely because it's looking so good.

Thanks for the pics and great topics to ruminate on.............
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2020 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Gary press the button!! Press the button!!
Somebody help Gary, I think he fell off his beach chair and can't get up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1 34567 15>
  Share Topic