Forums
NautiqueParts.comNautiqueSkins.com - Correct Craft Upholstery and Part
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2012 200 ZR409 Coolant Flush

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jetties2003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetties2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2012 200 ZR409 Coolant Flush
    Posted: November-05-2019 at 2:10pm
I just upgraded from a 1977 Ski Tique to a 300 hour 2012 Nautique 200 team with the ZR409 and have a quick question about flushing coolant out of the closed cooling system. Based on what I am reading in the manual in the "DRAINING FRESH-WATER PORTION OF THE COOLING SYSTEM" section if i want to change the coolant I need to drain the fresh water side of the heat exchanger, remove the large hose from the circulating pump, drain each side of the block and manifolds. I have a heater. I would like to remove as much of the old coolant and replace with new coolant. Could I not just flush the system entirely by removing the heater inlet hose and placing it in a bucket of fresh coolant and then place a hose where i disconnected the heater inlet hose and place it in an empty bucket.....Start the engine, the circulating pump would pick up out of the bucket filled with new coolant and discharge old coolant into the empty bucket. This path would allow me to get 99% of the coolant replaced an prevent me from having to drain coolant into my bilge. Should i just do what the manual says?? The boat came from the south and will be through its first winter in CT this year. Thoughts? Im using 50/50 DEX-COOL. Thanks in advance.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2019 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Jetties2003 Jetties2003 wrote:

.Start the engine, the circulating pump would pick up out of the bucket filled with new coolant

Unless you elevate the bucket, I doubt the circulating pump will suck the coolant up out of the bucket. The circulating pump has a very low NPSH.

("The margin of pressure over vapor pressure, at the pump suction nozzle, is Net Positive Suction Head (NPSH). NPSH is the difference between suction pressure (stagnation) and vapor pressure.")

Why not just drain and fill through the coolant fill?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Jetties2003 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jetties2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2019 at 4:16pm
Got it, I was hoping to super flush the system, looks like ill do what the book says :). Thanks
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2019 at 5:08pm
Oh wise ones, Would there be any benefit or harm in draining everything, filling with clean water, running a bit and then drain again?? Repeat as required until it drains clean??
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-05-2019 at 5:22pm
Chris,
Sure, you could even add some of this, run the engine, drain and refill.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic